FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nonfiction Audio Books

Author Topic: Nonfiction Audio Books
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the mood to listen to nonfiction audio books.

Do you have any recommendations?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakonomics, Blink though you might have probably read the text versions.

Most of the stuff by TTC http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp
is *very* good but highly expensive as well. Your local library might have it though.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Blink by? I have found several different books with that title.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Blink is by Malcolm Gladwell, I believe.

Other, wonderful non-fiction include Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis and Abraham by Bruce Feiler.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try looking at podcasts. There's some really, really great material out there from all sorts of sources, including NPR and the BBC.

Here's a link to a list of all of the "best of" lists of 2006. There's a large number of best books of 2006, including lists of nonficton books.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, if you don't know already check out Recorded Books.
Lots of cool stuff there. [Smile]
A Brief History of Time is a favorite of my family's.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a great scientific history of how man figurered out every thing from the atom to the beginning of the universe.

Issac's Storm by Erik Larson is about the hurricane that devistated Galveston Texas in 1900 leading to about 10,000 dead. Interesting history about meterology, how hurricanes form, how deadly they can be, and the prediction of hurricanes.

Before or after you check out Blink by Gladwell you should try his The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference.

As with any audio book, make sure you don't pick up an abridged version of the book.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a great scientific history of how man figurered out every thing from the atom to the beginning of the universe.
That is excellent. I loved it.

quote:
As with any audio book, make sure you don't pick up an abridged version of the book.
No kidding.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm looking for specific books to listen to. I'm not going to buy them, but the local library here is pretty good. I found Blink which I am enjoying very much.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, it depends whether you consider it fiction or not, but the bible. Also Art of War.. and... umm... yeah.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm looking for things along the lines of Guns, Germs, and Steel, Collapse, The Botany of Desire, Blink, The Omnivore's Dilemma, A Brief History of Time, 1491, Coepetition, etc..

Hmm.. Maybe I should start looking for biographies. I've read very few, but I've liked what I've read.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Autobiographies I find much more interesting on audio, because since the text was written by the person who's life it's about, there is more expression and voice in the audio reading.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software by Steven Johnson.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone reasonably explain WHY they would market abridged books so heavily? I hold them the highest disdain, as do most of you, and I can't understand why they are more widely available than unabridged versions... so much so that the unabridged copies are specifically labeled (when it should be the other way round!). Who buys them and why? And more importantly, how do the abridgers sleep at night?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.