FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Consummatum Est (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Consummatum Est
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
what the best condiments are to put on hot dogs (ketchup and relish, btw),
Heathen.
Mustard and Saurkraut for me...
Heretic. It's tomato, onion, mayo, ketchup and mustard. Oh, and the bacon. NEVER forget the bacon.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon's good. In Mexico last week, I got crema on my hotdog. Pure delight!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been mention of the chili dog, and I just missed it? Cause, chili and onion. MMmmm.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
I think Pel was unreasonably treated badly by the vast majority of the people here.

I think few of Pel's posts were rude or deserved the treatment that he got.

I think that's all I'm going to say on the subject. [Wink]

Then I'll leave it at "I think you're wrong on the first two... especially the second."
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nasty, nasty, nasty. Ketchup on hot dogs looks like blood. Tastes vile too. Add any vegetables you want but the only spread should be mustard.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
So... who's going to make the YouTube videos of Shatneresque presentations of Pel's posts?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
"Ah ha! APES don't read Philosophy!"
"Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it!"

"Aristotle was not Belgian. The central principle of Buddhism is not "every man for himself". And the London Underground is not a political movement...
Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked 'em up."

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Has there been mention of the chili dog, and I just missed it? Cause, chili and onion. MMmmm.

ew, ew, chili.

I forgot to mention that nacho cheese and canned button mushrooms on that hot dog also taste lovely. Especially if all the other things I mentioned are in there too. [Razz]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, truly, hot dogs, chili dogs, and every other sort of dog-food are an abomination unto me. Even with relish.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
onions, pickles, celery seed, brown mustard, tomato. No ketchup.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim: =D
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei: Me too! Well, at least, I've been reading/ lurking at Hatrack on and off since high school (note the registration number on this account [Wink] ). And now I'm halfway through graduate school applications as well. What sort of programs are you applying for, incidentally?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
When you're listing the incredibly well-spoken and bright youngsters we've had over the years, don't forget :Locke.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Chili dogs are yummy. In my family we make what my mom has long called "swanky frankies" which is a hot dog cut lengthwise, inserted with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and then baked in the oven. I think they call it that because Death by Cholesterol was either less appealing or already taken. Small amounts of onions are okay.

I relish the other condiments, but I can't stand mustard, it just doesn't cut it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much about how well Peleguis wrote as much as he went after big ideas. He wrestles with giants and losses and losses, even when he doesn't realize it, but he is trying and thinking and he is engaged, and that's a beautiful thing.

Here is a bit from "The Real Thing":

quote:
Annie:What gets you about Brodie is he doesn't know his place. You say he can't write like is like a head waiter saying you can't come in here without a tie. Because he can't put words together. What's so good about putting words together?

Henry: It's traditionally considered advantageous for a writer.

Annie: He's not a writer. He is a convict. You're a writer. You writer because you're a writer...You teach a lot of people what to expect from good writing, and you end up with a lot of people saying you write well. Then somebody who isn't in on the game comes along, like Brodie, who really has something to write about, something real, and you can't get through it

It's kind of like that, if you substitute Pel for Brodie. Pel isn't so much a writer, yet, but he is a fledgling thinker and theorist.

[ December 13, 2006, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I think Pel was unreasonably treated badly by the vast majority of the people here.

I think few of Pel's posts were rude or deserved the treatment that he got.

I think that's all I'm going to say on the subject. [Wink]

Then I'll leave it at "I think you're wrong on the first two... especially the second."
Ditto.

Given the time and energy many people put into constructive and helpful (or at least potentially so) responses to Pel, I really don't understand your attitude, Stormy.

(Not my posts. I was plenty snarky to Pel, when I didn't simply ignore him. I think he deserved it each time, but that's another story.) But quite a few people carefully and calmly and repeatedly engaged him. I think that deserves respect, not slams.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And to think I initially ignored this thread because Pel started it. [Smile]

Pel, I hope you take the advice directed at you in here and the other threads to heart. You could become a valued member of this community if you want.
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
If you ever want a community and not an audience, Hatrack will be here. [Smile]

Yup. Exactly.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Tarrsk, I just finished my application to Stanford's Biosciences PhD program. If I get in, that's where I'm going! I'm applying to a few other biology PhD programs on the west coast as backups. How about you?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*smites all the non-ketchup-on-hot dog eaters with the Ketchup of Righteousness*

*and a side of the Sauerkraut of Silliness*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crown Princess of Pickle Relish
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for Crown Princess of Pickle Relish           Edit/Delete Post 
Come, now, ketchup, there's no reason why we can't work together. Ketchup and Relish could have a beautiful alliance!
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind people who eat ketchup and relish on theirs. Personally, I like ketchup, relish, mayo, and grilled onions and/or bacon and/or sauerkraut.

It's those who will not eat the ketchup that must be smitten.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

some of us *will* eat ketchup, but prefer the simpler mustard and kraut, or mustard and relish options.

Sometimes kethchup seems... ostentatious.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*glowers and waves the Ketchup of Righteousness menacingly and OSTENTATIOUSLY*
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Tarrsk, I just finished my application to Stanford's Biosciences PhD program. If I get in, that's where I'm going! I'm applying to a few other biology PhD programs on the west coast as backups. How about you?

Wow, how about that? I just submitted my application to the same program about a week ago. [Smile] I'd bet that we're applying to the same other programs, as well. Although in my case, my current top choice is UCSF, as I like living in a city environment. Either way, it sounds like we'll both be doing the bio PhD thing next year- best of luck!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for Crown Princess of Pickle Relish           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Pickletopia is a constitutional monarchy. I'm largely a figurehead and can't force people to acknowledge the sublime beauty that is pickle relish. Hence, I cannot participate in any smiting.

I can only suggest strongly that people enjoy the loveliness of pickle relish on all appropriate foods (and even on inappropriate foods, if such is their wish).

(The Crown Princess wishes it known that she acknowledges the following hot dog toppings as Superior: Relish, Ketchup, and Cheese, and any combination thereof.)

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, honey, I love ketchup on many, many things. But not on hotdogs. And certainly not on bratwurst.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8019

As much as it pains me to say this, mustard is the only condiment that should ever go on bratwurst.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

kraut and relish can both be good on brats in limited quantities...

edit to add: with mustard

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
kq, honey, I love ketchup on many, many things. But not on hotdogs. And certainly not on bratwurst.

*Smites*

Bratwurst is allowable without ketchup (I eat it with mustard and kraut, sometimes grilled onion.) But to deny the ketchupy goodness that is a hot dog drowned in ketchup... Blasphemy!

Let us not even start on those of you who find ketchup on ice cream revolting without even TRYING it.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Tarrsk, I've done the city environment thing for awhile (I'm at Arizona State right now). It's good, but I like Stanford's program enough to be willing to live a bit outside the city. Plus, Palo Alto's a nice place, and I'm within reach of a bunch of big cities if I want to visit. Which home program at Stanford did you apply to? I did biological sciences, but also said on the supplemental form that I'd like to do neuroscience and microbiology/immunology.

The grad student I used to work for went to UCSF by the way. I hear their biology program is quite good as well. Good luck to you!

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, on the flipside, David Bowles is back... heh.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as Pel leaves . . . . hmmmmm.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, DB. [Smile] It's so nice to see you!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Shigosei: I also listed Biological Sciences as my top choice, with Mol/Cell/Dev Bio as my concentration within that program. Microbiology/immunology and cancer biology were my alternate choices.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some of us *will* eat ketchup, but prefer the simpler mustard and kraut, or mustard and relish options.

Sometimes kethchup seems... ostentatious.

Nope, Ketchup (except we call it catsup) is just NASTY. Not quite as offensive as mayo, but bad nonetheless.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Yea, truly, hot dogs, chili dogs, and every other sort of dog-food are an abomination unto me. Even with relish.

And never in the living room.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*snicker*

I eat my hotdogs and bratwurst NAKED!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*snicker*

I eat my hotdogs and bratwurst NAKED!

Kinky! [Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Evil]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Pssh all this talk of herbs, spices, and sauces does nothing to condiment Pel's legacy!

I can't believe how much you people relish this.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, naked bratwurst! Naught, naughty.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by David Bowles:
Oooh, naked bratwurst! Naught, naughty.

On second thought, I guess that's not entirely accurate. I do top 'em with cooked onions.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, "cooked onions"!!!! *nudge nudge, wink wink*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
darn you people, all this talk of juicy scrumptious bratwurst as I'm sitting here holding off on lunch until some coworkers get out of meetings... my stomach may well eat itself before long
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Ooooh, "cooked onions"!!!! *nudge nudge, wink wink*

"cooked onions, eh?" HE ASKED HIM KNOWINGLY. Say no more say no more... Say No MORE!
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, friend!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup is a wonderful invention--perhaps America's finest. But it does not belong on a hotdog. I mean, unless you just don't like hotdogs, and want them to taste like . . . ketchup. Relish, saurkraut, and mayonaise, of course, belong on nothing. As for chili, it's a dish, not a topping.

Mustard, on the other hand, is good on any non-dessert item. You should own a wide variety of mustards, and decide for yourself which variety is best on which food. Or, better yet, divide your food so that you can have a little bit with each type of mustard you possess, and enjoy severalk different flavors in one meal. While pedestrian yellow mustard has its uses--chief among them being hotdogs and pretzels--if that's the only mustard you use, you're a sad, little person.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Irami is pretty much right about Pel. Too bad people couldn't take the high ground with him a bit more than they did.

On a lighter note, I'm totally psyched about the Bowles comeback!

[Party]

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Now we just need a hardcore, NAMBLA-style issue for David to sound off on.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too bad people couldn't take the high ground with him a bit more than they did.
Too bad he didn't take the high ground with pretty much everyone a bit more than he did.

Sorry. After the tenth time he announced to the world what it is I believed, I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He's pouted away from two different boards now, each time claiming he was unfairly ganged up on.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.