FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Troubles

Author Topic: Computer Troubles
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, whenever I right mouse clcik anything offline, my computer freezes up. This doesn't occur online. I did a Virus scan and deleted what came up, but it still didn't change.

Is anyone here able to tell me why this keeps happening?

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have HP Share-to-Web software?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. What's that?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that you have some sort of application installed that has integrated itself into the context menu, poorly. For example, Winzip puts itself into the right-click menu so that you can zip files without having to open up the application first.

Have you installed any software recently?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did a Virus scan and deleted what came up
Wow...it picked something up? That is an indicator that you could have more.

I would start with the basics. Update your virus scanner (what brand do you have?), install and update adaware and/or spybot. If you have XP, then update Microsoft's Windows Defender.

Also make sure you have all your security updates. I would even suggest installing CCleaner--it clears out your junk and temp folders/files without touching anything important. Malware likes to hide in those folders.

Boot into safe mode. Run CCleaner first (this makes it so your other programs have less files to scan) then your antivirus and your anti-spyware programs. You may even want to defrag your drive when you are done. If that doesn't help, post your results.

If worst comes to worst, you can run Hijack this and post the results.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

Have you installed any software recently?

Privacy Guardian 4.1 is the only recent one to my knowledge.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft put out a security patch that caused similar problems to what you are describing, but I think it only affected computers with HP software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Did the problems arise after installing the application?

Does anyone else use the computer?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What is your OS? How old is your computer? Assuming you have XP/2000, what does your performance tab say (ctrl-alt-del, task manager)? How much free space is left on your hard drive? When did this problem start occuring? If it started happening recently, you may be able to just restore your computer to an earlier date before the problem started. Again, with XP, that's start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.