FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This sucks

Author Topic: This sucks
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
A guy in a neighborhood near me had his house catch on fire. The whole thing burned down, except for the brick front of the house. The guy had gone Christmas shopping and everything he bought burned up with the house. He bought a Wii and a PS3 for his kid, but all that went up in flames too. They don't even got a house now. It's gonna suck for them this Christmas [Frown]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone hurt?

If not, then all that was lost were possessions and those can be replaced. Not to say that it isn't a tragedy, but provided he and his family are safe, then it's a tragedy he can recover from.

Are there some local churches or charities that can assist him and his family with necessities? You may want to check and see if there are any dire needs right now, beyond food and shelter (which hopefully their insurance company is helping them with). I'm thinking of the kids - they probably need clothes and school supplies so they can get back to school and their routines as much as possible, especially if it's finals time for them like it is for my children.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
AIEEE. house fires are my biggest fear. Especially living in an apartment, not being able to know what other residents are doing (overloading/shorting out electrical sockets, leaving flammable things near candle flames, etc.)

Sorry your neighbor lost his house, but if everybody's all right, then everything came out as okay as possible, as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just hope they had insurance.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terrible. Especially around this time of year, sucks that all his kids presents were in the house too. [Frown]

Hopefully insurance will cover everything and they'll be back to normal soon. [Smile]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The house is like totally destroyed. Only the brick front is there and a bit of the support beams. It was daytime when the fire started, but I went over to the house while it was burning, and there was so much smoke that I thought it was night. I'm pretty sure they had insurance, but their Christmas is still going to be really screwed up [Frown]

I think there are a couple churches organizing fundraisers and stuff for them, but there are a lot of other people who need help for Christmas in my area too so there's no telling how well they will be helped.

I feel real bad for them [Frown]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel I shoud point out, and I in no way mean to belittle what happened to him, that this is a very common occurrence around the holiday times. People need to be extra vigilant about having overloading plugs and leaving things turned on.

Married to a firefighter, I've heard many a story just like this one, and many that were much more tragic. It sucks to lose all your Christmas presents you bought. It would suck worse to lose one of your kids. Everyone please be careful.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.