FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama is one big bundle of class covered class with classy filling.

Author Topic: Obama is one big bundle of class covered class with classy filling.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
(Stolen, Samp, sorry - it's too good not to share immediately)

First, a journalist's story about being publicly embarassed by Barack Obama.

quote:
Obama owes me an apology by Nicklaus Lovelady

I don’t care, I’m not changing my mind on this one.

Nope.

I don’t like Sen. Barack Obama.

He might make a good president some day, but he won’t get my vote. At least not until he apologizes.

Some might say I’m holding a petty grudge but let’s see you become the butt of joke in front of 1,000 people.

Two years ago I was a full-time newspaper reporter in Illinois covering Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

I had the looks, I had the charm and I had my eye on this pretty young thing who was doing an internship for a competing paper.

It took me nearly two months of running into each other at various news events before I worked up the nerve to begin talking to her.

And then Obama shows up.

The senator made his way to SIUE one day to introduce some legislation that would increase grants for students. Prior to that, me and the girl became really cool as I let her in on a few tricks of the trade.

The day Obama came, there was a huge press conference at the university’s student center with about 100 people inside the conference room and hundreds more viewing the conference on a big screen in the lobby.

Obama did his thing, and at the end there was segment for questions by the media.

After about five questions from different television and newspaper reporters, I stood up to ask mine.

“Wait a minute son, this is for professional media only,” Obama said to me.

“What do you mean? I work for the local paper,” I said with a crackling nervous voice.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were a college student. You have such a baby face,” he said with an unremorseful grin.

At that point everyone in the room turned to look at me and laugh. The 800 people in the lobby laughed as my face was projected on the big screen.

Remembered that girl who I was trying to get with, well she was sitting next to me and guess what she was doing?

Everyone was laughing except me.

The next time I saw that young lady was at another press conference, but this time she was acting as if she never knew me. I think I saw her maybe two more times and each time, it was the cold shoulder.

Thanks to everyone’s favorite new senator, I lost big time.

Obama owes me a public apology for making me look like a court jester and for blocking my shot.

Until that time, Hillary or Giuliani will get my vote.

Next, listen to this NPR audio file. (Requires Quicktime)
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool. Apologies are something that people should do, but that can be really hard. It's nice he was paying attention and actually gave one and sounded like he really meant it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome. Go Obama!

</intelligent political commentary>

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cows.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. I really like how he's down to earth - he doesn't speak like a stuff. Not just from that clip, I mean in general. His 'big comment' re: football was classic.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
That's awesome. I really like how he's down to earth - he doesn't speak like a stuff. Not just from that clip, I mean in general. His 'big comment' re: football was classic.

I saw that video today, too - awesome.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
That made me laugh so hard I nearly had a heart attack. Fie on you erosomniac!
How often do you get a call from the man who could be the next President of the United States of America, and to apologize of all things?

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got a link to the "big comment"?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

YouTube Video of his big comment
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the story on NPR last week while I was coming home from work. At first, I was impressed, but then I realized that he had taped the apology call. I'm just cynical enough to wonder just how sincere the apology was, since he's now using it to show what a wonderful guy he is.

He's a politician, and despite the fact that he was born and educated in Hawaii (which makes him very popular here) - I'm still skeptical.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was NPR who brought it to his attention, and when he said he'd call and apologize they asked if they could tape it? (I haven't listened to the clip yet, I'll do it when I get home, but if you can hear the reporter, too, and not just Obama then they would have had to get his consent in advance of taping it.)

Added: In other words, I'm attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt, even though he's a politician. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

The news reporters on NPR mentioned that the call was recorded "by his staff"...

Of course, he had NO idea they had recorded it and sent it on to NPR. [Roll Eyes]

Like I said, he's a politician and I'm cynical.

Which isn't to say he wasn't sincere and that he isn't a classy guy. I really have no strong feelings either way.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like him so far.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
The news reporters on NPR mentioned that the call was recorded "by his staff"...

Of course, he had NO idea they had recorded it and sent it on to NPR. [Roll Eyes]

It's possible, maybe even probable, that the entire thing was engineered, but regardless of how it was brought to his attention, does it matter?

I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because:

1) He sounds sincere.
2) He doesn't apologize for what he said about the journalist, he apologizes for messing up the journalist's game, which strikes me as much more sincere than eating his words would have.
3) Of all the ways he could have made this apology "public," this is one of the most subdued ways I can think of. No press conference, no camera-trailing appearance at the news office, no fanfare, not even a video of him making the call on YouTube.
4) Obama's prior actions lend him credibility.

Still, calling it a scripted publicity stunt isn't a groundless accusation. I just want to disagree. [Smile]

maui babe
Member # 1894

That's fine erso... as I said, I have no strong feelings about the man. I expect I will one way or the other before all is said and done. I'm a bit wearied by the last election and not really ready to jump into the next one just yet.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
He seems like a cool guy. I haven't taken much look at his platform yet, but from a charisma standpoint, he has a lot going for him.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be so disappointed if this were staged.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Staged publicity like this is what makes marketing such a beautiful field. What are people but emotions to be wielded, beaten down, and exploited?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
He does say "I just want to publicly apologize."

The guy called him out on the carpet, publicly, and Obama publicly apologizes.

Its obviously "staged" to the extent that Obama KNOWS it will become public, since he says that is his goal.

Does that make it less worthy of our respect? I don't think so. Not many politicians would apologize in this way.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its obviously "staged" to the extent that Obama KNOWS it will become public, since he says that is his goal.
It is also compliance with the request for a specifically public apology. So, really, he can't lose!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'm just cynical enough to think that if I were going to stage something like this, I'd start by staging the original complaint, too. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a conspiracy from the inital complaint would be the only event that would constitute a "staged" episode. If it comes out that the complaint is a plant, then I'd be disgusted. If it's just the case that someone from Obama's staff read the article and tipped off the Senator, then tipped off Lovelady that the Senator was going to call, then I think it's fine.

[ December 14, 2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome.

It may be staged but I really don't think that's Obama's style. But then again, what do I know?

Go Bears!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'd hope Obama, his staff, and the reporter would know better than to try and stage this.

People talk too much, the internet is too big, and people who don't like him will be looking too carefully for it to go unfounded.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I like Obama. Hillary is my candidate in 2008, but every time I hear Obama talk, I just want him to keep talking.

I love how dumbfounded the dude on the phone sounded. Obama sounds like someone who I can't quite put my finger on. I want to say it's The Rock (Dwayne Johnson).

Yeah, he sounds like The Rock. The "People's Champion." [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
He was called out publicly and he apologized publicly. What's the big deal?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
A decade ago, I had a poli sci professor who said that the difference between Kennedy and Reagan was that Kennedy made Americans aspire to be him whereas Reagan made Americans feel proud of their individual, even middling, selves.

Miro, the big deal is that while Clinton wanted to hoard all women for himself, Obama has proven that he wants the people to get the girl. It's a deep and beautiful act of compassion.

I wish I could extend the metaphor without objectifying women, but if wishes were fishes.

[ December 15, 2006, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
See, I'm just cynical enough to think that if I were going to stage something like this, I'd start by staging the original complaint, too. [Smile]

Tom, you're nefarious. You ought to run for office.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, but hey, the article was a cheap shot to gain a few column inches.

Good for Obama, playing the journalist guy at his own game.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wish I could extent the metaphor with objectifying women, but if wishes were fishes.

Wha?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Irami meant that he wishes he could have made that metaphor without objectifying women.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
while Clinton wanted to hoard all women for himself, Obama has proven that he wants the people to get the girl.

The other night at work, one of the bible-studying women was talking to me the Book of Esther, and could I imagine holding a big contest of all the women in the land, test-driving one per night, to see who would get to be your wife?

I quipped that this was how Bill Clinton chose his interns.

OK, it has nothing to do with this discussion, but sometimes, I just crack myself the heck up.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
while Clinton wanted to hoard all women for himself, Obama has proven that he wants the people to get the girl.

The other night at work, one of the bible-studying women was talking to me the Book of Esther, and could I imagine holding a big contest of all the women in the land, test-driving one per night, to see who would get to be your wife?

I quipped that this was how Bill Clinton chose his interns.

OK, it has nothing to do with this discussion, but sometimes, I just crack myself the heck up.

Sounds to me like I have to start reading the Book of Esther! [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was fabulous. He's adorable. Whether or not I want to vote for him depends on his policies and ideas, but please oh please let him be the Democratic candidate. That would make me so happy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes....yes, I can.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

Yes....yes, I can.
Great. You both owe me a new monitor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Heh, I like Obama. Hillary is my candidate in 2008, but every time I hear Obama talk, I just want him to keep talking.

I love how dumbfounded the dude on the phone sounded. Obama sounds like someone who I can't quite put my finger on. I want to say it's The Rock (Dwayne Johnson).

Of course, both Hawaii boys... [Big Grin]
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

Um...hate to burst your bubble, but Dwayne isn't from Hawaii. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, he's never even lived there (of course, I don't follow celebrity news, so he very well might live there now).

He is Samoan, however. Maybe that's what you meant.

-Javert, pro wrestling trivia extraordinaire

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

Um...hate to burst your bubble, but Dwayne isn't from Hawaii. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, he's never even lived there (of course, I don't follow celebrity news, so he very well might live there now).

He is Samoan, however. Maybe that's what you meant.

-Javert, pro wrestling trivia extraordinaire

Wow, I really didn't believe you - enough that I went to go look for myself. Chalk another one up to a huge misconception!
maui babe
Member # 1894

Isn't his wife Hawaiian or something? I'm sure he has SOME ties to Hawaii - he's very popular here.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He has ties there, but he grew up in Cali, and went to school in Miami I think.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Dwayne Johnson played football for the Miami Hurricanes (alongside Warren Sapp) and would probably be in the NFL today were it not for a back injury.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Am I wrong, or isn't there a rather large Samoan community in Hawaii? That might be the connection.
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got through the beginning of Dreams From My Father. His father was African, and studied at the University of Hawaii before leaving the family. Obama lived with his mother (a student from Kansas at the Univeristy of Hawaii) for a while before she re-married an Indonesian man. They then travelled to Indonesia for a while.

Beyond that, I don't know. He knows some basic Hawaiian...

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, I'm just cynical enough to think that if I were going to stage something like this, I'd start by staging the original complaint, too.
There are good people in this world you know. Don't always assume the best, but assuming the worst all the time is equally bad.

At least, IMO.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He has ties there, but he grew up in Cali, and went to school in Miami I think.

Lived in Indonesia for a time. Finished high school in Hawaii.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The Rock did? Huh, I had no idea he lived in Indonesia. Dude gets around.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my Holiday card from the Obama family!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

There are good people in this world you know. Don't always assume the best, but assuming the worst all the time is equally bad.

Right. If there weren't enough good people in the world, all the tricksters and nasty people wouldn't have anyone to beat up on and manipulate. Just saying.

*whistles*

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.