FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » really really cool pictures

Author Topic: really really cool pictures
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled upon pictures of ice sculptures that are just incredible.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hokey Smokes! It seems a shame that so much effort and artistry goes into a product so ephemeral. Although, I suppose that is a big part of the appeal. Still, I'm glad that Michelangelo worked in marble and not in ice.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the Parthenon of ice at Sapporo a couple of years back. Now that was something to see.

Yet it was only one of many sculptures which were just as large.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Speaking of ephemeral works, Tante have you heard of Buddhist butter sculptures?

It's forbidden to take photographs of them as well, I believe.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have heard of the Tibetan butter sculptures, although I've never seen one.

I have seen some awesome sand castles, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

[Smile]
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
pretty pictures.

I really...like...ice.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things

1> Massive props to Tante for using one of my favorite words "ephemeral"

2> These sculptures are really really really really really gorgeous. Why can't they make real, perminate sculpture that is this beautiful instead of welding rusty peices of metal together and pretending it's art?

example: University of Pennsylvania's "Dueling Tampons" http://daveluna.com/blog/?entry=20050223_961_8559_9070282757.html

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Come to Minnesota! We have ice sculptures at the winter carnival and butter sculptures at the state fair!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, those dueling tampons suck. And I'm totally with you on welded pieces of rusty metal not being art. Totally.

Eljay, those were totally cool. Thanks for sharing. [Smile] I've never seen butter sculptures before - very interesting.

I only lived in one city that had ice sculptures in the winter, and that was pretty cool walking around looking at the sculptures up close and personal.

Did I mention I miss snow? (Only cuz it's so freakin' hot here all the live long day...)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ice Sculptures are permanent in Minnesota, aren't they? [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL]
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, the scale on some of those is incredible almost life size buildings and what not. Amazing!

[ December 15, 2006, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: B34N ]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Almost life size buildings? We also have ice palaces at some of out carnivals that are huge, actual palace sized. The 2004 one you could walk through. They don't do them every year, though, 'cause they're really expensive.

Here's a link to a page that has some of the older ones, and here's a shot of the 2004 one. Check out the close up of the blocks that's the next picture, too. [Smile]

quid, glad you liked them! They do a butter sculpture of Princess Kay of the Milky Way (a local dairy pagent) at the fair each year, along with a couple of others. The poor princess has to sit in a cooler during the carving, and there's a window so you can walk by and watch.

Which, um, I never have.

Dags: [Razz]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Eljay, those are great! I loved how they lit them. Fantastic!

I'd hate to be the poor princess who has to sit in a cooler. Yikes!

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like the ice hotel or whatever it was in that Bond flick. Cool...
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, you can't do that?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
That dragon sculpture looks wicked! Do they keep spraying it to keep it from melting?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Melting? In January and February in Minnesota, melting usually isn't an issue. Although the year from those pictures, it was unusually warm, and they had to knock the sculptures down early. (They always knock them down at the end of the carnival, so they won't be a hazard as they melt. The palaces, too.)

The sculpture contest has single-block and multi-block divisions, which is why some are so little and some are so huge and there aren't really any in-between. I actually work in one of the buildings in the background, maybe this year I'll go out and start taking pictures when they dump off the ice blocks through the carving.

There's also snow slides, and a maze, and torchlight parades and all sorts of activities. But my favorite part of the carnival is that the food vendors set up along the edges of that park, so I get mini-donuts for lunch! [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.