FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to enjoy the Holidays

Author Topic: How to enjoy the Holidays
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the unofficial official Hatrack guide to enjoying the holidays. Please contribute what you think is wise.

1) You won't be happy if you try to get what you want. You will be happy when you want whatever you get. If you put all your hopes and dreams into getting some specific thing or things, then every present you recieve that is not on your list will be a disappointment. Worse, when you are done you end up more upset about what you didn't get than what you did. But if you accept presents as Fate's (God's, chance's) way of changing your life, giving you what you need more than what you think you need, then each present becomes something special, wonderful, magical.

2) Alcohol is a great spectator sport. Drinking may be fun, but watching drunks is more so.

3) Get plenty of rest, and take your vitamins. Christmas is no time for colds or other illnesses. We are all busy, bumping into crowds of shoppers, party goers, and others. We wear ourselves out, leaving ourselves vulnerable to all the nasty germs floating around. Make time to rest, sleep, and relax. Stay healthy.

4)Singing carols is not for professionals only. It's not who sings the lovliests, its who sings the loudest that counts.

5)Hatrack is always fun, but perhaps signing out for a day or two during the season, in order to reaquaint yourself with friends, family, and non-electronic individuals would be a good idea.

Other suggestions?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Vegas, baby!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I deliberately treat the "Holiday Season" like any other part of your human calendar. Human rituals amuse me.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
launchy: so are you robot or alien?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol may be a great spectator sport, but a good egg nog is hard to beat. [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
In snowy places. The more time both sides have had to prepare their snow forts and ammo the more exponentially awesome the snow ball fight can be.

Get your Christmas shopping done ASAP. Don't keep putting it off until the 24th because 90% of folks in the US do it. Christmas is only Christmas if you have taken the entire 24th off in addition to 25th off if possible.

If anybody in hatrack manages to slip ex lax into Dan's dog Buster's food and runs up his vet bills Ill give 100 bux. [Big Grin] You can't do any long term damage though.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
*Shouts*
DECK THE HALLS WITH BALLS OF HOLLY...
FA LA LA LA LAAA LA LAAA LAA LAAA!
'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY...

(do I win?)

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Friday:
*Shouts*
DECK THE HALLS WITH BALLS OF HOLLY...
'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY...

(do I win?)

Wow, capitalized AND bolded!
I can't top that... [Wink]

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
6) Any Holiday shindig or get-together MUST involve mistletoe in some fashion. Possible exception: Anything involving a sporting event.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I never understood that Christmas carol... I mean... Holly is a GIRLS name!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I decked Holly once. And Carol too.

I'm feeling much better now.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In snowy places. The more time both sides have had to prepare their snow forts and ammo the more exponentially awesome the snow ball fight can be.
*throws snowball at BlackBlade and then ducks behind well-crafted snow fort* Take that!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Friday:
6) Any Holiday shindig or get-together MUST involve mistletoe in some fashion. Possible exception: Anything involving a sporting event.

Other exception: family get-together.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, but what's a family get-together without the grossness of parents/step-parents/aunts and uncles/other older people kissing in front of their kids/nieces and nephews/other relatives?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
quote:
*throws snowball at BlackBlade and then ducks behind well-crafted snow fort* Take that!
*turns around, ambles up to the fort and pours a 3 gallon bucket of slush onto Evie3217, promptly sprints for car.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.