FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Noche Buena (Christmas Eve in Miami Cuban Style)

Author Topic: Noche Buena (Christmas Eve in Miami Cuban Style)
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait til next week and Christmas Eve. Walk around almost any neighbopurhood in Miami on Christmas Eve and you smell roasting pork everywhere. This is the highlight of the year for me and my family. Check out this video from chef Bobby Flay about how Cuban in Miami cook a pig (lechon) for Christmas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeK5VMUe4y0&eurl=

I don't like the lechon cooked in the Caja China. Not as flavorful as the more traditional pit system. The mojo marinade in this video looks awfull thim to me. The Caja China system used in this video is for lazy cooks, IMHO. It's fast at 3-4 hours and it doesn't require as much attention, but you lose alot of flavor in the process. My family has a big outdoor grill where we cook the pig. It takes about 8 hours and you get all the flavor of the charcol, and the benefit of slow cooking, etc. And every hour or so everyone gathers around the grill with a few beers to check the progress.

All the family, extended family and freinds get together for this. Lechon, black beans and rice and family. It doesn't get any better than this.

Feliz Navidad everybody!.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a fellow Miamian! And people think I make how these meals go up.

I'm scheduled for THREE pork meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day down here. I'm going to be asleep until next year.

And don't you love it how every male that attends these things has the impression that he knows everything there is to know about cooking the pig? It's like everyone's an instant chef as soon as they walk in the front door.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftld7Ohojg
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
By Nighthawk:
quote:
And don't you love it how every male that attends these things has the impression that he knows everything there is to know about cooking the pig? It's like everyone's an instant chef as soon as they walk in the front door.
Not around my Dad. He's the cook, and a good one at that, and no one would think to challenge him on this, especially if they want to be invited back next year.

Glad you mentioned Christmas day. Leftovers on Christmas day, better than the night before. Don't you think? Another thing you hear every year: "This year's lechon is better than last years."

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.