FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The First Time I....

Author Topic: The First Time I....
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread, overall, is just about you remembering the first time something happened, and what it meant to you.

The first time I heard the 1812 Overture was in Tiny Toons. Every time the beats where the cannons usually go off, an anvil fell on Plucky's head. Every time I hear that song, I always picture some poor fool being smacked on those two beats, or, in the very least, dynamite explosions.

The first time I heard Pachelbel's Canon was in Father of the Bride (coincidentally enough, it was my first Steve Martin film). I was about 8 at the time. The song has always represented to me a warm joy after a long held onto pain.

The first time I saw my wife was at the Atlanta Airport, underneath a giant dinosaur, talking with Olivet's husband and Ben. She was wearing a blue sweater and jeans, and smiled that smile of her's that only she has. It was the friday before Martin Luther King Jr's BirthDay- 2004. At the time I had held in my hand a piece of paper with her cell phone on it (I had just called her from a cell phone to see where she was). I couldn't stop smiling- but then again, I never tried to stop.

The first time I watched a Star Trek episode was part 2 of The Best of Both Worlds, for Next Generations, season 4 premeir. My dad was so enthusiastic about it, since he had waited in between seasons to watch it, that I picked up that enthusiasm as well, even though I had no idea who these characters were

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I flew a plane was when I was 14. I felt so free, like I could go anywhere. I also felt very much like an adult with a great amount of responsibility, despite the presence of the actual pilot sitting next to me who was ready to take over if I pointed the plane at the ground.

The first time I visited a college, I ended up pulling a paralyzed man out of the water at a beach. I think it was an accurate introduction to collegiate life.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.