FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seattle Storm (not the WNBA team)

Author Topic: Seattle Storm (not the WNBA team)
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It DID seem a bit breezy.
quote:
SEATTLE - Residents of the Pacific Northwest struggled to stay warm Saturday after the worst windstorm in more than a decade knocked out power to more than 1.5 million homes and businesses and killed at least six people.

Nearly 700,000 customers in Washington and Oregon still had no power Saturday, and utilities said some might have to wait into next week for their lights to go back on.

Our power came back on sometime this morning. Before I go and have a blazingly hot shower (YES!) I wanted to check up on the other Hatrackers in the area. Any of you still without power?* I saw some pretty crazy things during the storm: branches ripped off of trees, pink lightning, a guy blown off his feet.

It was really weird how the power grid came up in patches. There were dark blocks surrounded by buildings all lit up, and then there was our block, which was kind of the opposite. [Frown]

*Don't rush to answer or anything. [Smile]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
We lost power for a few hours Thursday night. We're fine, although there's a lot of downed trees in the area. A tree fell on my brother's girlfriend's house, though. Fortunately, it didn't do much damage--just hit the eaves.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate enough to maintain power, (I live just inside Everett, in the Silver Lake/Mill Creek area,) but they sent me home from work Friday morning, (Woodinville) because of the lack of power.

Driving home through Bothell, Kenmore and Lynwood was interesting. Debris all over the road, but enough cleared to drive through.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting because Eastern WA also got some very high winds with snow/freezing rain a day or two back, complete with power losses.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
We *just* got power back 1/2 an hour ago. Luckily, we did not lose too much food, and we have a fireplace and a camp stove.
(I live in Federal Way)

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Vancouver (WA). We lost power overnight. Ridiculous wind.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We just got power back this evening as well. Since we have a well with an electrically powered pump, we had no running water. Our pond began overflowing and flooding our pasture and we had to rescue our pet goat from where he was stranded. (He is now officially freaked out.)

We managed to capture some rain water coming off our roof before the sky decided to dry up completely. We had plenty of water from the above-ground pool in the backyard with which we could flush our toilets. We later got some water from my sister in town. We cooked a bit on the woodburning stove and used candles and flashlights.

All in all, it was quite an adventure! It has actually inspired Porter and I to have at least one week annually where we go off electricity and don't use any gas as a sort of vacation/retreat. It will be even more interesting when we have our own supply of eggs and milk.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a wind generator would have come in handy.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Sounds like a wind generator would have come in handy.

Duuuude, we could've, like, totally blown the megawatts to the mAX.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
Here by University Village in Seattle we only had a power hiccup overnight Thurs->Fri, but some friends of ours 5 minutes down the road are still without power, and it's been pretty cold. Two neighbors had their stairwall fill up with 2 feet of water and their carpets ruined. Incredibly, 2 families moved out on Friday and management had the impacted families move directly into the vacated apartments!

We're grateful for our blessings, and glad we could help some who weren't so lucky.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
We're A-okay. Had no power for all of Friday and some of Saturday, but thankfully it's back.

My snakes got really cold, but they're recovering just fine.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

Has erosomniac been around? Anybody heard from him in other threads?
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
His computer, like mine, got fried by power surges. As far as I know, he's only been Hatracking from work. He's been pretty busy with Christmas orders, so that doesn't leave him much time.

I can try to get a hold of him if you need to get in contact.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

Oh, poop.

He was designing my new business web site! [Razz]

Oh, well. I've experienced power-surge 'puter fries before. I'm sure he'll have things back up and working again at some point. [Smile] Thanks for letting me know.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

All in all, it was quite an adventure! It has actually inspired Porter and I to have at least one week annually where we go off electricity and don't use any gas as a sort of vacation/retreat. It will be even more interesting when we have our own supply of eggs and milk.

Have you considered getting a manual pump backup for the well?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this - Libbie, I'm alright. My computer is toast, but I'm 99.9% sure the hard drive with my working files is fine. I'll have a new system up in the next few days, and your site will be done on schedule. ^_^
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that everyone now?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I know Princess Leah is in the area, but she also goes to college, and I'm not sure where.

Did Shan check in with anyone?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
bev, do you have a water purification system? *curious* Like, a filter or something?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

The death toll is now at 8.

[Frown]

romanylass
Member # 6306

No, I have not heard from her. I'll go e-mail her.
romanylass
Member # 6306

[Frown]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Oh, and Puppy over in Kirkland. I have no contact info, though.
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Bothell, actually, and I work in Kirkland.

My house was out of power for 16 hours, and my office was out for more than 24. A bunch of my coworkers are still without electricity, and my cousin had to hold her wedding reception in an apartment lit by candles (which was actually pretty cool).

Between the apocalyptic (read: actually very minor by Rocky Mountain or Canadian standards) snowstorm a couple weeks ago and this windstorm, my team at work has lost a week and a half of a five-week milestone period, which is pretty stressful.

Otherwise, we're fine. Didn't lose anything important in the fridge, and we're all physically okay. I'm actually starting to think that "no power week" would be a great tradition to start up in my family, too [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
It was funny, though ... on Saturday, when my immediate area got power, basically the entire city converged on us at once, bought all the food and gas, honked a lot, and then left [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
It was funny, though ... on Saturday, when my immediate area got power, basically the entire city converged on us at once, bought all the food and gas, honked a lot, and then left [Smile]

Same here. Trying to find gas over the course of 3 days on a near-empty tank was no fun - nor was paying near $3 a gallon. [Grumble]
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I just saw this - Libbie, I'm alright. My computer is toast, but I'm 99.9% sure the hard drive with my working files is fine. I'll have a new system up in the next few days, and your site will be done on schedule. ^_^

Yaayyy!

Everybody hire this guy to make your web sites. He rocks.

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:

Wasn't that incredible? It was like all of the Puget Sound area became a wandering hoarde of locusts, roaming and consuming batteries and flash lights wherever they could smell electricity.

My husband and I found the LAST FLASH LIGHT in the entire Edmonds/Lynnwood/Shoreline area Friday night. Then the power came back on for us Saturday morning.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Yaayyy!

Everybody hire this guy to make your web sites. He rocks.

...she said, her new site still unseen!

Man, that's faith. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who finally e-mailed me. Apparently her stake had run a drill where they had to go out in a tent and live off what they had in their emergency kits for a day a few months back, to test everyone's preparedness. Talk about impeccable timing! They were then flooded, then snowed in, then their power was off (came back last night!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
bev, do you have a water purification system? *curious* Like, a filter or something?

We've got standard small filters on the water coming out of the well, but I don't think they actually filter out anything dangerous.

I have a small camping filter, but its filter would get used up really quickly if it were used too much.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize Puppy lived up there!
*mentally puts Puppy on list of people to see when I go to seattle next year*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad our power is back on. Good thing Jux could take a hot shower before flying home. Can you imagine a 6 hour flight feeling gross? (Matt-If you see this, have loads of fun back home and hugs & kisses to your fam.) My co-worker (who lives in Renton) was told that the power would be out until Friday.... can you believe that? Almost a full week out.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, all -- Nathan and I are just fine. We've been hosting those without power, though, so that's why I've been tardy in reassuring you all.

We lost power for about 6 hours, but we are on the same grid as the hospital, so that always makes a difference.

My former mother-in-law just got power back today, and I have several colleagues that are still without power.

Just as an FYI: Nathan and I will be flying back east for Christmas Thursday a.m. and won't return 'till the 28th, so don't worry if you don't hear much . . .

Thanks for checking in!

*warm fuzzies*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.