FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » EG movie: !?! Love Interest?!? OSC please verify...

Author Topic: EG movie: !?! Love Interest?!? OSC please verify...
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
IMDb
quote:
From IMDb Garwall2002 posted:

At a book signing last night (12/19) OSC said that the problem he is having with Warner Brothers is that the executives think that a hero has to be in danger or trying to save a loved one. It's not enough to save the world, he has to be motivated to save the woman he loves.

OSC gave the example of the movie The Rock, Nic Cage's character was trying to save San Francisco but at the end his girlfriend was in the city and that was his motivation for stopping the biological weapon. Card says that he refuses to let them add an artifical plot device like that. So the movie will not be made anytime soon and not by Warner Bro. He said that he will look for another studio or seek indipendent finance.

Jeez. I apologize if this has already been addressed. I know Mr. Card said something along the lines that he'll only talk about official things concerning the movie, but this is so believable about Warner Brothers that I'm inclined to believe it is true until told otherwise.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's true, it's amusing.

Everyone who has read and liked the book would see the movie, I have to believe, and none of us had a problem with the fact that there isn't a girl to save.

It's sci-fi, and sci-fi geeks are a bit more versatile than that. The real disappointment is how stupid Warner Brothers apparently thinks we all are.

Sometimes I wonder though. Look at the last few years of sports movies. The "We are Marshall" "Remember the Titans" "Miracle" "Whatever that one with the black kids playing basketball in texas was" etc etc. Even when they are true stories, they are all the SAME story. Adversity + Perserverence = Box Office $$$$.

I don't know if I am more mad at them for thinking we're stupid enough to keep paying to watch the same movie, or if I'm mad at everyone who actually buys into it. If we keep letting them do the same things over and over, we'll never get anything new, either because they don't want to take the risk, or because they think this is the only thing that actually will work.

Maybe a few box office flops using their same old formulaic plot generators will give them a wake up call.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
there isn't a girl to save.

Ummm ... Valentine? She's the only reason he goes back to command school, unless I've been misreading it this whole time.

And why isn't this on the Other Side.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, let's REALLY cash in!

He'll do it to save Bean.

Sort of a pre-adolescent brokeback...

Oh, never mind.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. I meant to post this on the other side.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We need to create an online Enders Game movie fund that starts here and floats through the internet. There has got to be enough people who want to see it made in the right way.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure OSC gave those examples of what some people in the past have wanted to do with Ender's Game -- but those particular problems have NOT surfaced at Warner. Partly because things like having a love interest are basically forbidden by the contract. So, I'm afraid the original poster may have misinterpreted what OSC said.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
there isn't a girl to save.

Ummm ... Valentine? She's the only reason he goes back to command school, unless I've been misreading it this whole time.

And why isn't this on the Other Side.

I don't think she's the only reason at all. She reminds him of his other reasons.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
I'm sure OSC gave those examples of what some people in the past have wanted to do with Ender's Game -- but those particular problems have NOT surfaced at Warner. Partly because things like having a love interest are basically forbidden by the contract. So, I'm afraid the original poster may have misinterpreted what OSC said.

VERY cool! I am glad....I was worried there a little bit. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.