FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally some movies I want to see, and I can't!

Author Topic: Finally some movies I want to see, and I can't!
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
So, right now on rotten tomatoes:

Pan's Labyrinth: 98%
Children of Men: 95%

Anywhere in Omaha? NOPE!

Black Christmas: 12%

Anywhere in Omaha? YES! At every theater!

Can someone explain this? I certainly don't have any sympathy for the movie business when they are struggling. They'd have gotten another 35+ dollars from our household this week if they'd have shown those two movies.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda interesting, living without television now. I haven't heard of any of those movies.

[/tangent]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Anywhere in the United States' fifth largest city?

NOPE!

EDITED to add that even though I've watched television a bit, I've heard nothing about either movie on it. It's all been from word of mouth and the internet.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Both of those films are in limited release right now, so that they can qualify for awards season. Just wait a few weeks, and you'll get your chance to see 'em. [Smile]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's kinda interesting, living without television now. I haven't heard of any of those movies.
I didn't hear about either of these movies from t.v. I watched their trailers on Apple Trailers.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The only film from there that I have heard of is Black Christmas, and there is no way in hell I am going to see that.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I will probably see Children of Men this weekend.

*twists the knife* [Razz]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, i'll just repeat what Valentine said. I hear about almost every movie I find out about through friends/internet buzz/watching random trailers on apple or other sites.

I've actually heard A LOT more about those first two than I have about Black Christmas. Specifically because I don't watch a lot of tv and don't really see the popular commercials.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'd never heard of either of those movies but the trailers are incredible. I'll be sure to catch them now. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Children of Men, you're not missing much.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My approach is never to go to the cinema, unless it's something unique (Borat) or something of high-quality my parents will pay for (Vitus). The days of seeing The Stepford Wives in cinema are long gone.

I just wait some months, sometimes years, and see it all on cable TV. Sliding Doors didn't lose its effect 5 years later, nor did Dancing With Wolves (which, admittedly, I never saw at cinema due to my nonexistent state)... It's cheaper, and I get to save money by not going to watch Pirates of the Caribbean.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see Pan's Labyrinth. But I believe it's rated R. Which means I'll have to wait till it comes out and rent it. Because I'm not of the legal age to watch R rated movies.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually go to Yahoo Movies and click on COming Soon. I like the kinds of movies that don't get a lot of commercials.

I'm looking forward to seeing Curse of the Golden Flower. It's a Chinese martial arts epic where the Emperor is slowly poisoning his wife and fighting with his sons. Something about the description reminded me of The Lion in Winter.

A lot of what's coming out before the end of the year sounds good, but most of it we'll wait to be on tv. Chet's new job allows us the occasional splurge, and I prefer eating out and renting something.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Pan's Labyrinth was excellent, but surprisingly graphic with its violence. So. You know. If you do get to see it, just be aware of that going in (I wasn't and thus was unprepared to cover my eyes which meant I saw the guy who got--but I'll let you be surprised.)
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.