FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most anticipated fantasy novel-to-film adaptation of 2007?

Author Topic: Most anticipated fantasy novel-to-film adaptation of 2007?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few coming out next year.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass

The Dark is Rising

Inkheart

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autum Twilight

I Am Legend (probably counts more as SF/Horror)

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Stardust

The Water Horse

Which ones will you see? [Smile]

*EDIT* More fantasy books-to-films added.

[ January 03, 2007, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Does 300 count?

Cause, you know, a graphic novel is pretty much the same thing as a normal novel, but with more pictures. And from the looks of the trailer they aren't really trying to kid anybody about the whole based on historic events thing, so I think it might be borderline fantasy...

If so, that would be my pick.

Otherwise, I am deffinatly excited to see His Dark Materials; I just hope that it is done well.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, hold up! Dragonlance is becoming a movie?! I havn't read that since I was 11, but I used to love them.

Edit: Oh wait, it is animated.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game?

*snicker*

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Dragonlance: Dragons of Autum Twilight

WHAT?!?!?!?!? I'm giddy. Golden Compass and Dragonlance. This year has SO MUCH potential!

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter, Dark is Rising, and possibly Inkheart.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Stardust.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark is Rising is the one I'm anticipating the most.

I did get quite a thrill hearing Dragonlance was being made. I hadn't heard until now. And Keifer Sutherland as Raistlin...but I don't see a credit for the twin

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark is Rising is the one I'm anticipating the most.

I did get quite a thrill hearing Dragonlance was being made. I hadn't heard until now. And Keifer Sutherland as Raistlin...cool.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark is Rising?! Waugh, when did this happen?! I seem to be behind on everything...

If that really happens, The Dark is Rising is my most anticipated, hands down.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
The Golden Compass is tops for me. I'm curious to see what they'll do with Order of the Phoenix too, although I doubt they'll ever top Prisoner of Azkaban. Alfonso Cuaron for Half Blood Prince (and HP7 while we're at it)!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Order of the Phoenix is the only one I even want to see.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark is Rising. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My husband was interested to learn that there would be a Dragonlance movie, then disappointed to learn that it was animated. I reminded him how terrible the Dungeons and Dragons movie was. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
I reminded him how terrible the Dungeons and Dragons movie was. [Big Grin]

And yet it was still more entertaining than a certain recently-released, live-action, dragon-based fantasy book-to-movie adaptation. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends really enjoyed Eragon. I think it depends on who you are.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Karl, I have never seen nor read that particular story. I'm curious to read the book, though, to see if it's a good story told poorly on screen or a bad story to begin with.

Incidentally, according to IMDb, originally the Jim Henson company had the Dragonlance project, so we could've all been watching Dragonlance puppets! (see The Black Crystal)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know they were making the Golden Compass for next year!

Interesting.

That being said, I have no idea. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

When I originally posted the thread it was still 2006, but now it's coming out "this year". [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter for sure, possibly Inkheart.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Incidentally, according to IMDb, originally the Jim Henson company had the Dragonlance project, so we could've all been watching Dragonlance puppets! (see The Black Crystal)

First I heard that the Henson Creature Shop was once set to do Dragonlance. Interesting news!

(Pssst. It's The Dark Crystal. Just so you know. [Wink] )

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a preview for Bridge to Terabithia before Charlotte's Web (we took Tova to see it yesterday). It looked kind of cool.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ummm...Shrek the Third? Is that based on a book? I know the first one was...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see The Dark is Rising, just to see what they did to it... Not necessarily in the theaters.

I normally would say that I'm excited about Order of the Phoenix, but after the last film I'm honestly not. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Pfff, Black Crystal, Dark Crystal...you knew what I meant! [Big Grin]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter, probably. Possibly Dragonlance. Have there been previews lately? I haven't heard of any of these coming out.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Stardust??? I didn't know about that until I just read your post! I'm excited about that. It's such a beautiful book, it has to be a beautiful movie.

I'm excited for the Golden Compass...the book is quirky and fun, and beautiful too, even if the characters/plot/etc isn't the best. Should be really fun.

EDIT: oh wow!! I just looked on imdb and found that Claire Danes is playing the star in Stardust! She was my favorite actress when I was little because she was Beth in Little Women. Yay! She's gonna be soo good!

[ January 02, 2007, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Tara ]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark is Rising and His Dark Materials.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I didn't include Bridge to Terabithia because the fantastical things seen in the trailer take place solely in the lead character's imaginations.

The original Shrek movie was only vaguely based on the story book...the sequels dropped even that.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Harry Potter, probably. Possibly Dragonlance. Have there been previews lately? I haven't heard of any of these coming out.

Harry Potter 5's teaser is online. The Golden Compass movie's website is active, as is Stardust's.

The rest? Thus far, other than the odd storyboard/conceptual art popping up here and there, not much yet.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The original Shrek movie was only vaguely based on the story book...the sequels dropped even that.

I still think they're good anyway.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I loved the first film! The second one was very funny, and had a more interesting villain...but a more conventional, less engaging story.

Not looking forward to film 3. The teaser wasn't all that great, except for the Pinnochio gag.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark is rising, stardust.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I loved the first film! The second one was very funny, and had a more interesting villain...but a more conventional, less engaging story.

Not looking forward to film 3. The teaser wasn't all that great, except for the Pinnochio gag.

The Pinnochio thing DID look funny. The grammar in that was almost as confusing as reading one of my first posts on this forum.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Dark is Rising, tops. Stardust, yes. Golden Compass, perhaps.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to Dark is Rising, I adored the books are a kid, but recently I've been hearing some rumours which make me worried that they're changing an awful lot of things ( characters, ages, nationalities, etc)... None of it is too terrifying yet, but it makes you wonder what else they've decided to alter.
Fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to Stardust, though, and The Golden Compass. I read 'I am Legend' the other week, and that might be good if they kept it as dark as the book. If they copped out on the ending, it'll be hopeless. And Fantastic Mr. Fox may be cute.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I was looking forward to Dark is Rising, I adored the books are a kid, but recently I've been hearing some rumours which make me worried that they're changing an awful lot of things ( characters, ages, nationalities, etc)... None of it is too terrifying yet, but it makes you wonder what else they've decided to alter.
Fingers crossed.

Other than inflammatory, vitriolic posts by a certain someone on the IMDB message boards for the film, I've been able to find no source for the rumors you've mentioned.

Until someone actually in the industry who is involved with the production speaks up about radical changes, there's not much valid film info to go on.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Well, I've only actually heard rumours from people I know in real life - that they 'heard from someone'. It's quite possible that they're getting their info from IMDB - what're they saying over there?

Anyway, as I said, everything I've heard so far doesn't sound too bad. If these changes actually turned out to be true and were the only changes made, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'm not a stickler for exact adaptations, but as I said, I adored the books and want them to be treated well.

I really hope you're right Puffy Treat. I very much want to love this film.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

These are the known facts about The Dark is Rising film adaptation:

It's directed by David L. Cunningham.

The screenplay is being written by John Hodge.

They plan to begin filming it in Romania in the first quarter of 2007.

No other info has been released.

The IMDB Board poster is giving sourceless, extremely angry statements that the film's story is set in modern day America, that Merriman, the Walker, and the Rider are all absent from the script, that Will is now in his mid-teens...but, no source to his statements.

Where have your friends been hearing things?

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I don't really know. I'll have to ask them to elaborate. What bothered me was that I was hearing the same thing from several people who didn't all know each other.

Guess maybe that's where the power of the great interweb comes in. [Wink]

You've put my mind at ease, though.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Stardust -- it's a short novel with a pretty simple plot, so should be pretty easy to adapt while adding/removing bits as needed.

Not confident about The Golden Compass; there's some great visual stuff in it, but a lot of the book's strength is its tone and dialogue, and that's hard to translate. And from what I understand they're trying to tone down/neuter the books' heretical nature; maybe they can do that without weakening the story, but I'm skeptical.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
And from what I understand they're trying to tone down/neuter the books' heretical nature; maybe they can do that without weakening the story, but I'm skeptical.

Heh.

1) The rumors about "toning down" the book's story is based on a blog post screenplay writer/director Chris Weitz made back in 2004, in which he stated the Magisterium and the Authority would be referred to by euphemistic terms. That was way before filming started or the current treatment was finalized.

2) Until Lyra's Pop gives his little rant immediately after the climax of book one, there's really not much in the way of "heretical" stuff...EVERYONE is complex and morally "grey" in book one.

Which is part of why I feel it was the strongest novel in the series, but that's a different topic. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.