FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny old book titles

Author Topic: Funny old book titles
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
For Christmas I got a little book published in 1897 and I found in the last 15 pages a list of titles of other books from that publisher some of which I thought were pretty funny:
A Lover in Homespun, by F. Clifford Smith. "Interesting tales of adventure and home life in Canada."

The Grammar of Palmistry

Shakespeare's Complete Works (over 2000 pages) - $3.00

Young People's Library
Robinson Crusoe: (Chiefly in words of one syllable).

Devotional Series
The Manliness of Christ

New Illustrated Series
The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table

The Confessions of an English Opium Eater

The Ethics of the Dust, Ten lectures to littles housewives on the elements of crystalization.

Just thought I would share [Smile]

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiddle_stix
Member # 9941

- posted      Profile for fiddle_stix           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
40 Yards to the Latrine by Willy Makeit and Betty Wont
50 years in the saddle by Major Asburn
A Bestiary of Plant Eaters: Herb Avore
A Boxing Cornerman's Story: Dawson DeTowel
A Great Plenty by E. Nuff
A Stitch in Time by Justin Case
A Stuntman To The End: Kenny Doitt
A Trip to the Dentist by Yin Pain
A Whole Lot of Cats by Kitt N. Caboodle
Acrophobia Explained: Alfredo Heights
Advanced Maths by Smart E. Pants

See all: http://listoffavorites.com/home/list_answers/91

Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Red China Today (published 1967)
I suppose that wouldn't be so funny if it hadn't been forty-years out of date and still stocked in a school library, ditto the Area Handbook for South Viet Nam.

Juegos Olímpicos de México 1968/Olympische Sommerspiele 1968 in Mexiko-Stadt- A four volume bilingual epic.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a book from the 1960's who's title reads "Destiny in Space, the Next 50 Years." It is a pure anti-communist propaganda peice which comments on things such as Women's desire for cosmetics will boost our drive to mine the Asteroids, something the Soviet women know nothing about.

I have a small book, "The Dangers of the Russian Bear", a state department book written in 1908.

I also have a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette from the mid 20's. It states such things as, "When you give the servents gifts, do not wait around while they open them. You should respect their child-like qualities and allow them the anticipation of opening them later."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.