FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Horatio Hornblower

Author Topic: Horatio Hornblower
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to read these books. Do you recommend that I read them in the order written, or in chronological order?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first and last ones. I want them all.

Didn't know there were two possible orders to them.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah! Bob! Awesome post count!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice of you to point that out, Dr. S. Now Bob doesn't have to two his own horn.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought two of them at a garage sale (oddly enough they looked at me funny when I asked how much for the garage) but they weren't the first two.

I have read they are better in chronological order, so I plan on buying all of them and reading them in that order.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Those were really fun books. I read the first four or so in chronological order, but them my local bookstore failed me and I was forced to skip several of the middle books which they did not have in stock. One of these day's I'm going to get on Amazon and track down the missing tittles. Each book is fairly self contained as far as plot and characters go, so reading them out of order isn't a big problem, but since there is some continuity between them it is probably best to read them in (chronological) order if possible.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I like A&E adaptaion of the books. I have not read the books and do not know how well they follow.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reading the John Grimes books in chronological order. They're modeled on Hornblower, I guess even in that way. I'd originally read them as I got them, which was neither order, really. And it was still enjoyable.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that every time I turn around, I bump into another series or story modeled on Hornblower.

Which is precisely why I want to read them.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I read them in the 60's. I didn't know there was an order at that point in time. They were fine just as they came off the library shelf, great books, perhaps the best of the genre. Its no wonder that they are modeled on so.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.