FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » odd Music and Book connections

Author Topic: odd Music and Book connections
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I hear a track from Enya's album The Celts (originally just titled Enya), I am transported to Asimov's Foundation and Robot novels, because I listend to that album almost constantly the summer I immersed myself in Asimov.

Similarly, whenever I hear Depeche Mode's Violator, I get images of the Fellowship of the Ring trying to make it over the mountain pass, because I was engrossed in both at the same time as a teen.

Is there any music that takes you places that other people wouldn't guess?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorcerer's Apprentice takes me right into the battle of Revelstone in The Power That Preserves, for the same reason. I was 16, and my family had gone to DisneyWorld, and I was reading the Chronicles for the first time and listening to the album "Fireworks!" incessantly on my Walkman. I get glimmers of those books from other pieces on that album as well, but none so much as that one.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Acoustic Alchemy's Boulder Coaster = Wise Child by Monica Furlong
There are others, a lot of them, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Maybe Tori Amos's Scarlett's Walk goes well with Neil Gaiman's American Gods
Tori Amos's CD Beekeeper and some of Dir en grey's Withering to Death remind me of getting my rabbit.
I don't really know why, perhaps because they came out in the spring of 2005 and I got him in March. I couldn't stop listening to them.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I connect Pastwatch with the CD "Nevermind" by Nirvana. Similarly, I connect Lost Boys with Korn's greatest hits CD.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Similarly, whenever I hear Depeche Mode's Violator, I get images of the Fellowship of the Ring trying to make it over the mountain pass, because I was engrossed in both at the same time as a teen.

For me it's the Lord of the Rings and The Beatle's White Album, pretty much same story; that was the summer that I both discovered Tolkien and my dad's old LP collection.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I do so many kinds of weird things in this line you don't even want to know. The most interesting one is probably that I can't listen to Dido without thinking of rain, soup, and IKEA-- and I can only explain part of that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't happen to me. I suppose the "book" part of my brain doesn't talk to the "music" part of my brain.

I imagine if it did, though, it would say something like, "Can you turn down the music? I'm trying to read, here."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you listen to music when you read?

I don't anymore, but I did as a teen.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have music going on, but if I'm reading a good book, I generally attend to the book rather than the music. If the music is something special, I'll put down the book and pay attention to the music.

If neither is special, then I can divide my attention between the two without missing too much of either.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
24 Cylinders by Dir en grey reminds me of Ender's Game.
All I ever do is read and listen to music at the same time. I heard this song when I read Ender for the first time, now the series reminds me of it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I have too much music background. But, how in the world can you read if you are LISTENING to music? And why would you even have the music playing if you were not going to listen to it. There is enough extrainous noise in the world without furnishing your own.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I connect Lost Boys with Korn's greatest hits CD."

*Cries* How can you connect such a good book with such a bad band? [Razz]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhapsody in Blue with Atlas Shrugged.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

The closest connection I can think of is when I listen to Symphony X - The Odyssey and alot of their other songs it makes me want to read fantasy novels because it puts me in that type of mood. The first time I read A Game of Thrones was after listening to one of Symphony X's CDs because I really felt like reading a fantasy book after it and A Game of Thrones was so highly recommended here.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't read and listen to music at the same time. I can read and have music playing in the background, but it's not the same thing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto what Tom said. And even then, it has to be something like classical music(or anything that's not lyrically driven), otherwise I still get distracted.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Vangelis's Chariots of Fire always reminds me of playing Thief: The Dark Project, because I got the two as simultaneous gifts and played them both constantly for a summer.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Rhapsody in Blue with Atlas Shrugged.

Interesting.

---

I usually can't listen to music and read at the same time.

Edit: Yes, what Tom said.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't read and listen to music at the same time. Even if the musical is classical, I find myself paying closer attention to the music and losing my train of thought in the reading. One thing at a time for me.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can pay attention to both. [Big Grin]
It's a talent.
I can also work and listen to music at the same time which makes me happy.

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
The closest connection I can think of is when I listen to Symphony X - The Odyssey and alot of their other songs it makes me want to read fantasy novels because it puts me in that type of mood. The first time I read A Game of Thrones was after listening to one of Symphony X's CDs because I really felt like reading a fantasy book after it and A Game of Thrones was so highly recommended here.

You're cool. Symphony X was the first band I really got into. Divine Wings of Tragedy is more fantasy-like for me, but that's because I was listening to it when I read LotR for the first time.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to Mozart string quartets and beethoven symphonies as a test of concentration when I read. Otherwise I might turn on some Bach suite or the Art of Fugue or something I know well enough to not be destracted by it. New music is not meant for reading.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to study to music and draw while taking notes. I can't remember things unless I have something else to connect it with in my memory.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
When reading, I close all doors, turn off all music, and try to block out sound. I try to let the story make its own music. I'm sometimes inspired to read something after listening to music, though. For example, after listening to Disturbed, I usually feel like reading an OSC book. Go figure.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can't go very long without music. I start making up stupid songs.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
quote:

You're cool. Symphony X was the first band I really got into. Divine Wings of Tragedy is more fantasy-like for me, but that's because I was listening to it when I read LotR for the first time.
[Cool] Symphony X is awesome. I used to be really into them for awhile too and I still love them. Even if they weren't such incredibly skilled musicians with amazing technique, they would still be awesome because they have such an amazing style. It's like classical symphonies with metal distortion guitar played over it with really cool chord progressions that make the song sound like something out of a fantasy. If that makes any sense. [Big Grin]

Divine Wings had two of my favorite songs from Symphony in "Out of the Ashes" and "Sea of Lies" but other then that I liked Odyssey and Mythology Suite better. Still a great CD though.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
And why would you even have the music playing if you were not going to listen to it. There is enough extrainous noise in the world without furnishing your own.
When I was a teen, that was precisely why I always had on music -- to drown out the noises of the outside world.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
When I read The Tripods Trilogy I hear Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails and the same goes for when I hear that album, I think of the books. I get the same type of urge to read Harry Potter around Halloween.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The only type of music I can listen to while doing schoolwork is anything not in English. Even if it's a language I partially understand, it's not enough to take my concentration away when reading or writing a paper. I have some pretty good Spanish ska, so it works out well.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread.

This feeling is what the word kwea means, BTW. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I associate the Cranberries with F. Scott Fitzgerald, because I was listening to them while reading a biography of him.

Coldplay goes with L.E. Modesitt's "Mag'i of Cyador" and "Scion of Cyador."

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In what language?

[ January 02, 2007, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Perhaps I have too much music background. But, how in the world can you read if you are LISTENING to music? And why would you even have the music playing if you were not going to listen to it. There is enough extrainous noise in the world without furnishing your own.

I have a sensory integration disorder (fairly mild, but there.) I have to have a certain amount of sensory input to be able to concentrate or I get horribly easily distracted. So I usually have to have some background noise going while I'm cooking, reading, whatever; if I'm not functioning on three levels, I'm not functioning. (Except, of course, when I'm shutting down because of a sensory processing problem; then I must be in a quiet, dark place with NO outside stimuli to recover.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh, I'm the same exact way [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
quote:
In what language?
In a fantasy book by Dave Wolverton/Dave Farland (same person). The book was Serpent Catch, which was fair, but I loved the concept of kwea so I stole it as a screen name.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I connect Lost Boys with Korn's greatest hits CD."

*Cries* How can you connect such a good book with such a bad band? [Razz]

Because I listened to it while I was reading the book. If you ignore the lyrics, the music actually seems quite fitting for the book.

The only lyrics that I thought reminded me eerily of the book were the lyrics for the song Shoots and Ladders. Mainly because it connected something childish and good (nursery rhymes) with something many view as evil (metal).

Edit:

I'm missing out...what does the word "kwea" mean?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was a teen, that was precisely why I always had on music -- to drown out the noises of the outside world.
I do this for writing, especially when I am at home, because I have younger siblings and other frustrating distractions.

I'm not a very audio-centric person, so I don't have story-music connections.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.