FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is anyone else going to run screaming from Turbotax this year?

Author Topic: Is anyone else going to run screaming from Turbotax this year?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used it for years but there were so many problems last year...

is anyone using something similar that works better? Online and all that?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There WERE a lot of problems. But eventually it ended up being free for us. So we'll probably use it again.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always worked great for me. The one year I tried the H&R Block equivalent I was pretty unhappy with it, so I expect I'll stick with Turbotax.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first year doing real taxes. (I.E being a student and earning bupkus is a lot different then being a teacher and earning not-bupkus-but-close-to-it). I've been using turbotax and it has worked great for me. We shall see.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
Ours worked fine last year. This year I'm nervous, cause I did all my work as a freelancer for various clients. I have the feeling I'm already in big trouble for not paying quarterly taxes (which I don't really understand, and didn't have time to figure out), so I'll probably have to go to an actual tax preparation company. Sigh.

Or you could...oh, I dunno, ask Boon. I bet she'd help you, for free even. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, the government is going to rob me blind and try to convince me that I like it.
I don't! [Mad]
I need that money! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Free File through turbotax, so I'll probably stick with it since it was extremely easy and problem free the last couple years.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. I'll probably bump my "Free Tax Advice" thread when the time comes. I'm always happy to help. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no problems at all with it last year. That was, I think, my fifth year in a row with it. I'll definitely be using it again this year.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either way, the government is going to rob me blind and try to convince me that I like it.
I don't!
I need that money!

I like roads, schools, federal loans, and the EPA. Potato, Po-tah-to.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one year I tried the H&R Block equivalent I was pretty unhappy with it, so I expect I'll stick with Turbotax.
The one year I tried TurboTax, I was pretty unhappy with it, so I expect I'll stick with TaxCut. [Razz]

Give TaxCut a try. It's always worked for me.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Which reminds me, I'm not even sure that my tax return got all the way through this year. Kept having submitting problems.

o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may try Turbotax again because even though they were a pain in the butt last year I still got my money in a relatively short time.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I don't think that has anything to do with the program. When I got done with mine on TaxCut, I filed it online just like you do on TurboTax I assume.

Come on. Show them what happens to software that's a pain in the butt.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when you get your money is all the IRS.

We had problems in that we were using the free online program and they kept trying to charge us, plus some technical issues.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
(corrected)TaxAct worked for me just fine last year.

It's significantly cheaper than turbo tax, too.

However, while I haven't used her for tax advice (though I should have last year), I can vouch for Boon as being really cool. [Smile]

[ January 05, 2007, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
TaxCut was not set up to give me the tax credit for my electric car. It didn't have the form at all. I had to go to the IRS website to find the form. Then, when I added in the appopriate number on the appropriate line on TaxCut, it would no longer let me e-file, since I had changed my own form, rather than letting the interview do it all for me. I was not about to lose a thousand dollar credit just so I could e-file though. Thanks, TaxCut! [Razz]

(Of course, Dubya made that whole point moot anyway . . . Thanks Dubya! [Frown] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I actually have a question for you.

Last year we E-filed for Lindsay but I don't think we completed the process. How do we go about getting the tax return we are owed from last year for Lindsay? I tried efiling again but it said that she was already on file. Basically, we never completed the process last year and now we want that refund. What should we do?

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

forgive me... I meant TaxAct. Different program. No complaints. Using it again this year.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Does TaxAct work like TaxCut and TurboTax? Does it prompt you along the way for what information you need to put in?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

yep. I never used taxcut, but it does work a great deal like turbotax.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
quote:
I don't!
I need that money!

I like roads, schools, federal loans, and the EPA. Potato, Po-tah-to.
Those are well and good, if most of the money goes towards that and not things that i disaprove of.
Perhaps this is the worse time to have to have so much money taken out. Two holidays, I can't work extra hours, my rent went up 300 dollars, I got to pay 200 bucks a month to some loan and on top of that I lost nearly 200 bucks a week over overtime.
There has got to be a way to get and keep more money in my pocket and in my account short of working 3 or 4 jobs. [Mad]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

correction: Yeah, getting the money quickly was the IRS's deal, but I mean that even though they gave me a lot of trouble it still "worked". I didn't have to wait a long time to file or something. In the end they charged me twice. I tried calling them to get it straightened out but they wanted to charge me to call them. *stab* I ended up getting it fixed through my bank instead.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.