FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yahoo News and their second new low...

Author Topic: Yahoo News and their second new low...
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
This time through the AFP.

The link is here , though I'll have to copy paste some in here because I can't believe this will remain for long.

quote:
A German archaeologist says he has found relics of "humanity's first war" in the north east of Syria in the form of balls of stone used as ammunition in the 4th century BC, the Die Zeit newspaper says in its edition due for publication on Thursday.
quote:
Reichel said that almost 6,000 years ago the city, whose fortifications were three metres (ten feet) thick, was besieged and reduced to ashes probably by attackers from southern Mesopotamia.
So... 400 (4th century BC) + 2000 (21st century AD) = 6000 years? I'm not nitpicking over some small word usage, doesn't this impact the story pretty significantly to mistake the 4th century BC with the 40th? Oddly enough, I caught the mistake when I read that they honestly thought there were no wars before 4th century BC. Such a silly notion.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, according to a recent study (See Archaeology journal), 51% of Americans believe humans and dinosaurs coëxisted and fully 85% believe that Archaeologists study dinosaurs.

I told a friend of mine that this made me proud, becouse, if your going to do national ignorance, you had better do it well.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Another common one: When a share costing $10 goes up to $11, some journalists will write of a '110% increase.'

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:

I told a friend of mine that this made me proud, becouse, if your going to do national ignorance, you had better do it well.

because, you're

Say what?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Davidson's Law!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
*sigh*

Another common one: When a share costing $10 goes up to $11, some journalists will write of a '110% increase.'

Hey, that's good money! Did you happen to catch what stock that was?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
While this is not good, I think it is a lot better than, say, reporting something which is a gratuitious failure of reporting ethics. Like spreading propoganda for a terrorist network without researching it.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
A huge battle destroyed one of the world’s earliest cities...Hamoukar...excavators retrieved more than 1,200 smaller, oval-shaped bullets (about an inch long and an inch and a half in diameter) and some 120 larger round clay balls (two and half to four inches in diameter). "This clearly was no minor skirmish. This was 'Shock and Awe' in the Fourth Millennium B.C."

[ January 03, 2007, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

*cries*
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, according to a recent study (See Archaeology journal), 51% of Americans believe humans and dinosaurs coëxisted and fully 85% believe that Archaeologists study dinosaurs.

You honestly put a diaresis over the e in coexisted. <shakes head, stunned>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Is that punctuation still correct? I thought it was obsolete.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than not knowing 400 + 2000, I think it's more likely the reporter left off the zero in 40th century.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of thought I made that point in the my original post...

quote:
...mistake the 4th century BC with the 40th?
Also hinted at the fact that even the implied suggestion that the first war was in 400 BC was funny, since the Greeks had had their turn and the Romans were getting going by that time.

Though I'd be willing to accept that they meant to the 4th millennia BC as well.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I thought you were referring to them mistakenly thinking the 4th century was 6000 years ago when you said that.

[ January 04, 2007, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

Is that punctuation still correct? I thought it was obsolete."

Far from obsolete, but growing uncommon. The New Yorker still uses it always as does MIT's Technology Review, while the Economist uses it if the pronunciation might be unclear, I am not so consistent although I think it helps none-native speakers and also looks kind of neat.

Your for You're is always incorrect however, my bad.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, most of the mainstream American press doesn't trust AFP. They screw stuff like this up a lot and never seem to correct it. While most places will pick up a New York Times or Washington Post story (meaning they rewrite it and give credit to the original news organization without actually verifying the info), they won't do it for AFP (or, these days, UPI, since they were bought by Moon & cronies).
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

AFP = whom? Agence France-Presse or American Free Press. The later seems unlikely as it is hardly mainstream.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Agence France Presse.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
So they had bullets int he fourth century now???? So does that mean that gun powder was invented before then???? [Confused]

I'm so very confused, but that seems to be happening a lot lately, senility must be setting in early for me???? [Big Grin]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

I'm really hoping it was sling ammunition. But it hurts my head to think of how sling ammunition will destroy fortifications...

Oh, and 40th century (that's what started all of this).

Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Is that punctuation still correct? I thought it was obsolete."

Far from obsolete, but growing uncommon. The New Yorker still uses it always as does MIT's Technology Review, while the Economist uses it if the pronunciation might be unclear, I am not so consistent although I think it helps none-native speakers and also looks kind of neat.

I see. It does add a little flavour, doesn't it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.