FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Medicos: I'm the hottest thing in this part of town.

Author Topic: Hatrack Medicos: I'm the hottest thing in this part of town.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
It started yesterday in the wee hours of the morning. My stomach refuses to hold anything. I vomited everything I had in there: flaming hot cheetos, green tea, meat tamale, turkey sandwich and is now going for gastric juices.

I tried drinking Boldo tea but I flushed that one too. My aunt suggested I drink a little bit of warm milk, I did and that didn't last long in there either.

What should I do?

I ate some New Year's leftovers yesterday around 5. It was just some ham and hibiscus water. So far it's still in there and it's been 12 hours since that so I take it as a sign that my condition is improving.

I've also developed a really high fever, hence the title of the thread. My aunt didn't have any kind of medicine like Pepto or even aspirin. I'm at my mom's again and she didn't have anything either except for arthritis tylenol. She gave me that before she left for work about an hour ago. There's also some Chicken Noodle soup somewhere in the pantry and that will be my lunch today.

Do any of you know more or less what's wrong with my stomach? We've never had a disagreement like this before. [Frown]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
No insurance.

I think it may have just been an infection such as stomach flu and according to webMD, the symptoms go away in 2 or 3 days. I feel better already. I've still not vomited that last meal I had and I just ate a burrito because I was really hungry.

Let's just hope it stays down there.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you have the flu. Call your doctor. And feel better soon, sweetie.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I just ate a burrito because I was really hungry.

Let's just hope it stays down there.

A burrito! I'd advise something a little simpler, like tea and dry toast.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
In the BRAT diet for upset stomaches, I always thought the "B" stood for bananas. The next time my kid has a stomach virus, I'll try the burritos instead. Thanks!
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Gah! I hate bananas!

You're welcome. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep. Eat fruit and dry toast and drink lots of water. Sleep.

Feel better soon!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are still in school, try going to Student Health Services. If not, google the names of free clinics in your area. There are bound to be some. Let me know if you need help. A call to a doctor or hospital in your area may provide you with that information as well.

[ January 04, 2007, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through a similar episode a few years ago. It was a particularly violent and quick illness for me.

Started in the morning with similar purging to you, to the point of various dry heaves (never really KNEW what that meant before) for most the day. It was bad enough that I blacked out pretty effectively when I answered the door (I couldn't see anything, I just opened the door and walked blindly to the sofa and sat down) The next day was a 104 fever, though I could keep Sprite down by that point. The day after that no fever, no sore stomach, and all was fairly right with the world.I'm about 90% certain that mine started up from food I had about two hours before hand (to this day I blame some queso I had).

I wasn't well enough to make it to a doctor or the computer, but since you are I'll echo the sentiments above to look into free clinics just to be safe.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Clear liquids, SMALL sips, every 10 to 15 minutes until you haven't thrown up for an hour. Then try some jell-o or bouillon. If that stays down for half an hour, nibble a little soda cracker or dry toast or white rice. A LITTLE. When you've been okay on that for half a day, you can go to a BRAT diet. When that's been okay for a day or so, start introducing small amounts of bland protein and cooked veggies back into your diet, until the tummy is 100% again.

As for fever: if you can get it, alternate Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Advil (ibuprofen; also Motrin), if you can tolerate it, every three hours. If that doesn't bring it down, try a tepid (luke-warm, body temperature) bath.

That's my mom's standard virus treatment, and it sounds to me like that's what you have; there's really not much else you can do for a virus. If it persists, gets worse, or you develop scarier symptoms, or your fever spikes over 105 (or is it 106? Someone who's a dr. or nurse, help me out) you need to get to a doctor. Free or low-cost clinic is a good option.

If I was there I'd come take care of you. Sorry you're feeling unwell, sweetie. (((hugs)))

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, don't eat burritos while you're having stomach problems.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, have some curries instead. *ducks*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's mean, quid! [No No] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, curries contain high levels of substances that are proven to kill harmful bacteria in your gut when you have food poisoning, etc. So do hot sauces (red chili sauces.)

Not that that helps with virus-related vomiting. *winces* That stuff burns coming up. I know. I craved curry all my first pregnancy but couldn't keep anything down.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
BRAT = black rats and tomatoes?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

BRAT diet
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I guess I was being lazy, but I suppose that if this is a practical advice thread, it might be useful to clarify terms in thread.

quote:

The BRAT diet is a treatment that historically was prescribed when a young child who eats solids has diarrhea. BRAT is an acronym of bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast.

wikipedia.com
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you. I knew the bananas, rice, and apples part, but didn't know the apples bit referred to applesauce, nor did I know the toast bit.

Yeah, and people here wonder why rice is advocated as a binder for diarrhea. It doesn't do that to people here. Different gut or something.

I mean, seriously, do you know how much rice people here eat? Do you? [Eek!] It's astounding!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe that's why it's not effective.

Rice is best if it's sticky. Raw apples can actually concievably have the opposite effect; cooked do slow diarrhea. Toast should be white bread, nothing on it. Soda crackers are okay as a sub for toast.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim eats about 5 or 6 cups of cooked rice a day, sometimes more. He's pretty average. The smallest portion size I've seen a local woman eat is about 1 1/2 cups cooked rice at a meal. They laugh at my 1/2 cup of cooked rice per meal. Fahim's brother asks me why I bother to eat at all. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you tell them you're "low carb-ing"? *giggles*
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I think I'm moving to Sri Lanka. A place where people won't make fun of me for eating such large quantities of rice.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, no. They don't understand any reasons I could think of giving. They think I'm a freak. Well...

Valentine, sure! I'll make you rice & curries for lunch! Dinner! Breakfast, even!

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

In a nutshell, this is what I think I have. I've not vomited in the whole day, but then again I was asleep throughout most of it.
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a stomach flu, a roto virus. It'll pass and you'll feel better soon.

When you are sick like that, the key is to try to keep drinking fluids. All the vomiting, and the other stuff, will dehydrate you and keep you sick longer. Sip water, chew on ice chips, etc. Certainly not burritos.

PS I don't like rice, and I certainly don't like curry.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.