FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » As the crow flies

Author Topic: As the crow flies
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you say this in a non-colloquial way??? I can't for the life of me come up with another word or phrase that means precisely the same thing. I almost suspect there ISN'T a commonly used word for it - if that is so, is it acceptable to describe distance "as the crow flies" in a formal document?

Help!

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
"in a straight line"?

"linear distance"?

"blah blah blah is ___ linear miles from suchandsuch?"

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Is "linear distance" a phrase that's used? Or "linear miles"? I've never heard of them, but that clearly doesn't mean much. [Smile]

The specific context is that something has to be within 55 km of a certain point - as the crow flies, not driving distance. What about "aerial distance"? All these options sound funny to me...

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mostly read "Within a 55 km radius of". This means linear distance and never driving or meandering distance.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

*bell rings* Thanks, Karl, that's what I'll recommend.

Thanks guys. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.