FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buy a country anyone?

Author Topic: Buy a country anyone?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
World's smallest country for sale. You know, I've always wanted my own country.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats awesome! I want it too!
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see this part?? It's like a movie...

quote:
Four years later, Dutch and German businessmen on Sealand to discuss a business deal kidnapped Roy's son but were overpowered and held as prisoners of war before eventually being released.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe we can all pool our money and buy it. Turn it into Hatrackland.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't want it. I've seen pictures of Sealand.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
A picture from their old website:

http://www.fruitsofthesea.demon.co.uk/sealand/gallery.html

There's not really any land in sealand.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Sovereign Military Order of Malta was the smallest country in the world.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is accessible only by helicopter and boat
Just like Australia.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You can also get to Australia by plane, Dag, and that wouldn't work for Sealand.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure a Harrier could get on this island. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any citizens of Sealand? It looks like there aren't in the pictures, but they said they have their own passports...

So bizzare.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"... its owners, who want offers of eight digits or over..."

I bid 1,234,467.89 old Zimbabwean dollars.

[ January 13, 2007, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Prince Roy of Sealand is now my hero. This is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. This guy decided he wanted to start up his own country, so he went out and did it. How many people can say that in the last hundred years?

I'm a little confused though. The original link says that Prince Regent Michael of Sealand is selling the nation, but there is no mention of that in the national website. In fact, it does mention that Mr. Brian Semmens has been appointed the new Comptroller of the State Bank, to begin office in Jan. '07. Curious.

That and the fact that the Principality of Sealand is the base operation for HavenCo, who don't appear to be making any changes of location. Plus HavenCo apparently has contracts with Sealand that no new laws will be made affecting the data and info that's stored in their servers there. How can they guarantee that if they are selling?

I dunno, but I love the Principality of Sealand and would move there right now if it weren't so hard to get a visa.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so all over this. You can call me Baron Lem before this year is through!! Bwaaa ha ha ha ha!!!

quote:
Well, no longer do you have to be content just being Mr. or Mrs. Average. Now, you can join the silver spoon club without resorting to marriage or inheritance.

Yes - you can now become an official Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness of Sealand.

quote:
The title is not like the classic cliché, "buy Scottish land and get a fake title", these are bona fide titles from a sovereign principality, recognised by the Sealand Government, so you ‘really’ will be a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness!
Hehehe Bow before me! Bow before me all!!! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Eight digits, eh? Did they say which side of the decimal point they had to be on? [Evil]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one digit that I'd like to give them, but it's firmly attached to my hand. [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooohooo... over 10 million dollars for a fake country? I think I'll pass.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

If anyone is still interested in buying Sealand, you better act now. A Swedish file sharing website is planning on buying Sealand to circumvent international copyright laws.

The company is appropriately called The Pirate Bay.

Arrgh...there be pirates a board!

quote:
According to a website set up to secure the purchase of Sealand, The Pirate Bay plans to give citizenship of the micronation to anyone willing to put money towards the purchase.

"It should be a great place for everybody, with high-speed Internet access, no copyright laws and VIP accounts to The Pirate Bay," the organisation claims on its website www.buysealand.com.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Forget buying it. I say we start a pirate army and take it by force!

Then we can rename it MightyCowopolis!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] His Serene Highness Baron Lem of The West Pilon of Sealand

[Hail] His Bovine Majesty King MightyCow of the Occupied Rooms of MightCowopolis and the Shower Block

All hail!

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's Qwhlm! Well, maybe a little less pretty. And slightly less fictional. Only slightly.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
AARRRRG!!! That's Cap'n MightyCow, ye landlubber. An' while bowin'n'scrapin' migh' well nigh please a mere king,
a [Eek!] Cap'n MightyCow !!! [Angst] of awe and terror is th' proper respect that th' likes o' ye oughtta be agivin'.

Sose hows about it, Cap'n MightyCow? Kin I sign on with yer crew?

Oh, I admits to a tiny mistake in offerin' t' buy. But it wuz in old Zimbawean dollars. 650thousand per USdollar, less than US$2 even when th' cash was good. Imagine the humiliatin' they woulda felt when they accepted, then discovered that it warn't even worth 's much as Monopoly money now.

Sure, that woulda been too low for a pirate t' stoop down t', but I've reformed. From now on it's all blood'n'guts an' th' glory of pillagin'. I've th' tactics of ship t' ship combat down pat, an' 'm ev'n takin' elocution lessons from th' master.

So what do ye say? I be awantin' to get in on th' swag. Say aye, Cap'n MightyCow, an' ye'll be blessin' the day ye did.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. I'm writing a story about a very similar situation at the moment. They stole my idea!

Curses!

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing, Didius Iulianus bought the whole Roman Empire in 193.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
That's nothing, Didius Iulianus bought the whole Roman Empire in 193.
Yes, but did he do it to cleverly bypass copyright laws?

MightyCow, I must inform you as a Baron of Sealand that any attack on us will be met with our own army of student pirates equipped with Bit Torrent cannons and sharpened mouses.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Yarr, me crew will be sneakin in unawares, lulling yer defenders into complacency with free pizza and root beer, and then scraping all the mud off our boots into your toilets!

Try to fight us with all yer plumbing clogged, landlubber!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me, but I always thought one of the core requirements for a country is that there be actual LAND...

And, no, underwater territory doesn't count in my book.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to own my own country...but one that actually had land.

Of course, I couldn't afford to pay 6 figures for it, much less 8.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought the Sovereign Military Order of Malta was the smallest country in the world."

SMOM is, or claims to be, a "sovereign entity," rather than a "soveriegn state."

Of course, most countries (not the U.S. Britain, Canada or Austrailia) recocnize SMOM as a sovereign entity (Italy, Spain, Russia, Eastern Europe, much of East Asia and all of South America) or, um, something else of indeterminate nature (France, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland).

No one recognizes Sealand, although it has a pretty good claim for statehood. If it were a natural island, there could be no contest.

I do love legal loopholes.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Try to fight us with all yer plumbing clogged, landlubber!
What you fail to recognize, o ye who fail to bathe, is that among my horde of tech savvy law breakers are those who can and have created an army of NINJABOTS!!

No slow clumsy pirate can withstand the stealth, death rays, and poisoned shurikens of ninjabots.

[Evil Laugh] Bow to us. Join us.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You outsmarted yourself there, MightyCow - ninjas are deadly enough in ordinary times, but with their showering facilities knocked out, the smell alone is lethal.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one recognizes Sealand, although it has a pretty good claim for statehood. If it were a natural island, there could be no contest.
actually, Sealand IS recognized. From their website:

quote:
Gradually, over the years, Sealand has become increasingly secure and internationally accepted. More and more, the international Lawyers and other Jurists stated that Sealand fulfilled all the legal requirements of a State and that the Sovereignty of Sealand was absolute and unquestionable. The major states of Europe have now accepted this as a fact.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Note the vagueness and circumlocution [Smile] .

All that means is, nobody in actual power has bothered to say otherwise. It doesn't mean a thing about states actually accepting the situation, and the incredible ambiguity as to who those 'Lawyers' and 'Jurists' are suggests they're just talking about intellectual speculation by some random people in the legal profession, a good deal of it likely on blogs.

edit: also, recognition in this context has a fairly specific legal meaning, which Sealand most definitely does not have. Recognition requires a positive statement, not some mish-mash acceptance of existence.

Sealand's website discussions of its status are classic circumlocution, and a little bit of logical analysis underscores how little they actually say. All it boils down to is no state cares much about them at all.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to buy a country when I've got Pokadoodle, remember? [Wink]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gradually, over the years, Sealand has become increasingly secure and internationally accepted. More and more, the international Lawyers and other Jurists stated that Sealand fulfilled all the legal requirements of a State and that the Sovereignty of Sealand was absolute and unquestionable. The major states of Europe have now accepted this as a fact.
So the U.S. should be dropping several hundred tons of ordinance on it any day now, right?

/flame on

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.