FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Peter Jackson to remake Wizard of Oz

Author Topic: Peter Jackson to remake Wizard of Oz
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

Note: Since this is AICN, there's obviously a major language advisory for the talkback section on the bottom of the page.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. I've always thought that The Wizard of Oz would be a lot better if it were four hours long and had chase scenes with dinosaurs and giant bugs.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Even though this is a hoax, I do hold out against hope that someone will do faithful adaptations of the original 14 L. Frank Baum Oz books.

*wistful sigh*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There needs to be some sort of (/rumor) tag because I just about cried blood at that idea as outlined in the article. DON'T DO THAT TO ME LISA!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Puffy, from your mouth to (insert the name of quality director here)'s ears. A real movie of the first book alone would be worth it.

(Though it's hard to imagine Tip/Ozma getting past the "family friendly" censors.)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
There needs to be some sort of (/rumor) tag because I just about cried blood at that idea as outlined in the article. DON'T DO THAT TO ME LISA!

Sorry, BlackBlade. I was disappointed, too.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

My own favored book would be The Emerald City of Oz...the one where Ozma invites Dorothy, Uncle Henry, and Aunt Em to Oz for good...unaware that the Nome King is gathering an army of Evil Spirits...a secret tunnel dug beneath the Deadly Desert all the way to the heart of the Emerald City itself...man, it'd make a GREAT film.

The grand tour of Oz alone would be a fantasy-lover's eye candy dream. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
My own favored book would be The Emerald City of Oz...the one where Ozma invites Dorothy, Uncle Henry, and Aunt Em to Oz for good...unaware that the Nome King is gathering an army of Evil Spirits...a secret tunnel dug beneath the Deadly Desert all the way to the heart of the Emerald City itself...man, it'd make a GREAT film.

The grand tour of Oz alone would be a fantasy-lover's eye candy dream. [Smile]

Ozma of Oz was my favorite book, and though it was made into a movie more or less I really don't think the book translates well as a movie, there are better options in the series.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

For the record, though, this is not a hoax. Much as I wish it were...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I didn't quite parse that. Do you mean Emerald City would be too difficult to adapt?
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
What? That's just down right wrong. Hope he does it justice?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Heh. That's the problem...ever since the Baum books went into the public domain, we've seen all sorts of "messed up" renditions.

*sigh*

Well, it sounds better that Todd M's toyline. Now that stuff was sick.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
'Return to Oz' is surprisingly disturbing, especially the mental institution part. And the bit where the cross dressing gnome king pulls up his dress to reveal that he's wearing the ruby slippers underneath is just priceless.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I wanna see the Lucas wizard of oz.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I didn't quite parse that. Do you mean Emerald City would be too difficult to adapt?

No I was saying "Ozma of Oz" was a good book in the series and though it was juxtaposed more or less into the movie, "Return to Oz" I don't think the book makes for a very good movie.

The Emerald City might do better. I was supporting your idea and simply noting that my own favorite book of the series does not make for a good movie.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Recent faithful adaptations/additions to the Baum Oz mythos:

Adventures in Oz by Eric Shanower...a gorgeous graphic novel that reprints Shanower's Oz comics from the 1980s-90s. New stories and characters, but true to Baum's vision and the original illustrations.

Oz the Manga by Antarctic Press. While the art is very modern and certain details are changed, this is extremly faithful to Baum's original story...including characters and adventures that were sadly deleted from the iconic MGM version. The Kalidahs, the Hammerheads, the China Country, the origin of the Flying Monkeys...good stuff.

The Emerald Wand of Oz by Sherwood Smith kicks off a series in which two very modern girls who just -may- have a blood connection to a famous Oz character find themselves in Baum's Oz. This series was commissioned by the Baum Family Trust, which hasn't had much to do since the book copyrights expired.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Man, I wanna see the Lucas wizard of oz.

It was called Star Wars.

(What, you didn't realize the Emperor was the Wicked Witch of the West? And Chewie was very Cowardly Lion-esque during the Trash Compactor scene.)

Lisa
Member # 8384

Luke was Dorothy?

So... Han was the Tin Man. And maybe Obi-Wan was Professor Marvel. But I don't see the rest. Leia as the Scarecrow?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I meant more that Lucas heavily borrowed from "The Wizard of Oz" just like he did from many other sources for the Star Wars films. Not a straight "this character=that character" thing. [Big Grin]
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I never made the connection that Star Wars borrowed anything from 'The Wizard of Oz' and I'm still having a hard time making it...

Unless you're kidding?

Just curious. There's a lot of King Arthur stuff in there and a lot of Dune stuff in there and a mix of a few other things -- E.E. Doc Smith, Kurosawa, etc. Things which are pretty obvious. (Though, the Kurosawa stuff was never actually clear to me either -- other than as a visual influence on the filmmaker, which Lucas acknowledges. But I never saw the strong connection to 'The Hidden Fortress' that others have said exists.)

I guess structurally it could be considered similar to the Wizard of Oz in the sense that it's about a character who is kind of inexperienced, almost an innocent, going out to see the world and he collects friends along the way who end up helping him on his journey?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You never saw the strong connection to the hidden fortress?

Watch the beginning, with the tall guy and the short guy wandering the desolate area, one being doom and gloom while the other is sort of quirky. Watch the fight to escape from the evil empire between the master and his former apprentice, who now is a high level leader in the evil empire. Et cetera, et cetera.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I've seen it, and I think Lucas borrows a lot from Kurosawa visually, always has -- but not so much story-wise. It has been several years, though. Maybe it's time for a Kurosawa marathon at the home of TL.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

TL should never refer to himself in the third person again.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
RE: the sci-fi remake

WHY MUST EVERY BAD SCI-FI STORY HAVE A CHARACTER NAMED "CAIN"?!?!?!

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, really want to see a faithful movie made of the Oz books.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Or a woman with a ridiculous, hard to pronounce name?

"Azkeadellia"? Eeep.

Lisa
Member # 8384

You know why the Wicked Witch of the West is named Elphaba in Wicked, right?
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
L. Frank Baum's initials?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they at least make the slippers silver in this version.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That article reads like it's from the Onion. Especially that part about Andy Serkis. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Puppy, yes. Dag, they did in the Muppet Wizard of Oz. It was strangely closer to the book than the Judy Garland version.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even see how they can call what he's making a remake. Loosely based on, maybe.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an omnibus of the Oz books for Christmas [Big Grin]

That said, my favourite book was definitely the second... I adored the Tip/Ozma story.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I don't even see how they can call what he's making a remake. Loosely based on, maybe.

He who? The SciFi one?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ReikoDemosthenes:
I got an omnibus of the Oz books for Christmas [Big Grin]

That said, my favourite book was definitely the second... I adored the Tip/Ozma story.

Me too. It's an interesting take on the "I'm really a princess, and some day I'll be restored" trope.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.