FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gaining Weight

Author Topic: Gaining Weight
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided my New Years Resolution is to gain weight. Anyone that wants to help me, keep reading.

I'm 17, 6 foot tall and weigh just 65 kilos. (If the standard measurement in the US is pounds, tell me and I'll edit this post). I have a very active lifestyle and an extremely fast metabolism. Most of that lifestyle, though, is aerobic. And at least half my diet is junk.

I want to gain about 15 kilos, and have all year to do it. So I'm not going to rush with any irresponsible way of gaining it, but the sooner I can do it the better I guess. I definitely don't want to leave it to the last second.

One problem is that my body chooses to store it's fat on my hips and thighs. This is more common among females, but it means there's virtually no fat around my vital organs-- giving me a whole lot of stamina-- so I don't really mind. Because of the huge amount of stamina I constantly have I've always tended towards more aerobic activities (like basketball and swimming) and virtually nothing to do with strength building.

I do want to do weight training. I have a gym membership, but up until now wasn't very available (I've cut back on work heaps for the rest of January). I'm giving blood tomorrow so I don't think I'll go the gym then but the day after I"ll definitely go.

That's about all the important details I can think of right now. Do the wise men and women of hatrack have any advice for me? How much weight is it safe to gain in the space of a fortnight, does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Before you take the steps toward losing weight, you should consider seeing a doctor. It is possible there are other factors involved in your weight. A few simple blood tests may be able to clear that up. Your doctor can also point you in the right way when it comes to nutrition.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there Valentine. He said "gain weight". In my sad experience you just need to wait a while. Every few years, your body will just add extra kilos, do what you will. Enjoy yourself for now. Your day is coming.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Any medical professional will tell you to see a doctor before attempting to lose or gain weight. I believe it to be sound advice. A 17 year old may not have all the facts when it comes to gaining weight safely.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The conventional wisdom in the bodybuilding/competitive sports world is that the most healthy weight you can put on is one to two pounds per week. 1-2 kilos per fortnight for your crazy Aussie units. But that is very difficult to do and requires an attention to diet and lifting that, frankly, most 17 year olds are not capable of.

The easiest way for you to gain weight is to start on a strict lifting regiment and just up your calorie intake by eating more of whatever you like. With emphasis on protein and good carbs (the basic building blocks of muscle).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one else is gonna say it...how many pounds is a kilo? (At work, lazy, don't want to look it up myself. [Smile] )
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
You are 17. You will gain weight with age. Don't try to gain weight now. Enjoy being thin.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Since no one else is gonna say it...how many pounds is a kilo? (At work, lazy, don't want to look it up myself. [Smile] )

2.2 lbs to 1 kilo
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
~2.2 pounds in a kilo. He weighs about 143 pounds.

I'm 25, 6'3" (190.5 cm), and 150 lbs (68 kilos). I don't think I've ever weighed more than about 155 lbs (~70 kg), even at my fittest.

What's your metabolism like, cherios? I eat like a horse, so to speak, so it would be pretty tough for me to up my caloric intake enough to gain weight -- I already eat a lot, get plenty of protein and carbs, but don't gain anything. If your metabolism is like mine, you may run into the same problem.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
2.2 lbs == 1 kg
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

1 kilo = 2.2 lbs (approximately)

[Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I am only showing my concern because my boyfriend had the same problem as Twinky. He could eat one out of house and home and was unable to gain a pound. He later found out he had Grave's Disease. He is now under treatment and doing well.
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
The next time someone asks me how much I way, I'll just say, "One hundred and eleven."

"You only way 111 lbs?" they'll say.

And I'll just offer up a wise smile and a noncommittal shrug of the shoulders.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
For what its worth, cherios has a BMI of 19.4 which seems perfectly in the normal weight range, assuming that this thing this thing works for 17 year olds (probably not, it says adults).
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to think of my weight in stones.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 17 when I joined the Army. I was too light to get in without a waiver (easy enough, the doctor laughed and said they would put weight on me). I was 6'-0" and 132 lbs. (your weight now is about 143 lbs.

The Army fed me a lot and worked me out a lot. By the time I was out of Basic Training, I weighed 155 lbs. After my advanced training, I bulked up to 185 lbs. This was some serious eating and more serious physical training.

Unfortunately, since then, I have continued to put on weight.

At this point, I would gladly donate fat for a worlds first belly transplant.

We could change history.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caillech
Member # 10070

- posted      Profile for Caillech   Email Caillech         Edit/Delete Post 
So you want to put on about 33 pounds? (15 kilos, about 2.5 stone). I agree with Valentine that you should seek medical advice and support, but I also think you might want to start with a lower goal, say half that, and see how it goes.

Do you know anyone else who wants to do something similar that you could work with, even if by email?. Of course you'd need proper individual advice for each of you.

I have a friend who needs to lose 15 stone (210 lbs, 95 kilos) and I want to lose about 30 pounds. Because of his size, he and I have very different things we can/should do, and he couldn't actually do what I will do. Also we live far apart and only meet at conferences or meetings. But we promised check up with each other every 2 weeks on this subject.
Best of luck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.