FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another possible airline merger. Is this a good thing?

Author Topic: Another possible airline merger. Is this a good thing?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
US Airways is trying to buy Delta. It seems to me that fewer airlines would lead to less competition and higher prices. [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't they still trying to recover from their disasterous merger with America West?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. The people who ran America West now run US Airways. If the merger happens, it would create the largest airline in the country.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad they're content to consume airlines I haven't felt the desire to fly on in many years.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to see six or so major airlines this year or next turn into three.

I think you'll also see higher prices for consumers. It's good for the airlines, bad for the consumers. Prices were bound to go up anyway with the price of jet fuel skyrocketing.

Time to get working on maglev trains and the trans-atlantic tunnel.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Southwest > every other airline ever.

I flew American for my South America trip, and they gave me attitude because I asked for an extra little bag of snack mix.

Also, there is not nearly enough water/drink service on long, dehyrdrating flights after NO WATER ON THE PLANE FOR YOU! took effect.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with pH.

I think a Southwest employee could come push me off a jetway and they'd still be my first choice for air travel. Particularly now that the Wright Amendment is finally dying an appropriate death.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Air France is evil, evil, evil. I've taken it 2 times, and each time I was abandoned for 10+ hours in foreign countries.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I spent my entire week in South America recovering from the dehydration of the flights I took to get there. I was thirsty ALL the time. I suspect I'll end up doing something similar now that I'm back. I mean, really. If you aren't going to let me bring my own water, even if I bought it inside the gate (as was the case on my longest flight), at least give me more than 2 little cups of orange juice to last me eight hours.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Southwest > every other airline ever.
Blasphemy!

JetBlue is about the same price as Southwest, but has better planes, leather chairs, and little TVs in the seats!

They may not fly to where you are though pH.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If US Airways buys Delta, my small-city airport will have only one airline.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

I've wanted to fly JetBlue, but have never been able to. I needed to fly to Boston, which they serve, but needed to fly out of Tucson or Phoenix, which they didn't serve then. Since they added Phoenix, I've needed to fly into Dallas and Huntsville (AL), which they don't serve.

Sigh, someday perhaps (oh, and most airlines have leather seats now).

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
US Airways has been trying to buy Delta for a while, and Delta has been trying desperately to stave off bankruptcy for a while.

Delta's stock dropped from $80+ per share in the late 90's to under $1 a share earlier this year.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If JetBlue FLEW anywhere else they MIGHT be as good as Southwest.

But they don't, really. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.