FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The US Embassy in Athens was attacked.

Author Topic: The US Embassy in Athens was attacked.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Greece is one of the places I've wanted to visit for as long as I can remember. Is this a random act of violence, or a display of hatred toward America? I'd like to hope it's just a group of whackos.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
Here.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about it * Greeks like Americans.

Every half dozen or so years, a flake with delusions of being a revolutionary decides to use violence on an officially American or British target because of a military junta that took over Greece back in 1967thru74. Kinda like Vietnam protesters (on both sides) who can't get over the fact that the War ended over 30years ago.

* Unless you are an UglyAmerican who likes to proclaim that everything is better in America while pointing out that everything different about Greece sucks, or gets into hostile arguments with people who dislike American foreign policy. In which case, other Americans in Greece will hate you more than the few Greeks who'd bother to make the effort to find you beneath contempt.

[ January 13, 2007, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zophar
Member # 10063

- posted      Profile for Zophar   Email Zophar         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Greece, and found them to be incredibly helpful, and much less anti American than much of Europe.
An example:
I was there in Dec 1991 with my then boyfriend (spoke no Greek , but saw the Hammer and Sicle flag come down on the news and knew what the news was that night.)

anyway, the real story: in Olympus, silly boyfriend tried to change money at a bank. Oops, no passport...Grumpy girlfriend tells him he's an idiot, but eventually manages to help him think when he last saw his passport: in bank in Sparta, changing money. Find receipt, with bank name. Olympus bank calls Sparta bank. Yes, they have passport. They agree to put in an envelope and on a bus to Athens. We take separate bus to Athens (after grumpy girlfriend changes money on her passport). Passport reaches Athens bus station before we do. All is well, we manage to get home to UK (we split up 6 months later, but nothing to do with the lovely Greeks)
My favourite travelling story. Still don't quite believe it worked out.
Also one of my best friends in London is Greek (hmm, must tell him that story)

Enjoy. Where/when are you hoping to go?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.