FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » France tries to sell own country, UK declines

Author Topic: France tries to sell own country, UK declines
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Even France doesn't like France.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a dozen good reasons why they'd turn down such a proposal, the first and foremost two reasons in my mind being France's large population would change the entire spectrum of British government, and the other being France was only a decade out from WW2, and was laden with rebuilding efforts and a large colonial empire in the midst of collapse.

The French people never would have gone for it either. They'd just finished booting out the Germans, they wouldn't give up soverignty to the British. Some sort of political union would work, but joining them outright is laughable. Britain actually stood to gain much more out the deal than France in the long term.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing in that article said that he was trying to sell the country, per se, but the idea is still hilarious to me.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that Anthony Eden just assumed Mollet was joking.

But French pop music would have improved immensely, and British food would have been much better far sooner. So it wouldn't have been all that bad.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
Nothing in that article said that he was trying to sell the country, per se, but the idea is still hilarious to me.

Poetic license. [Razz]
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And the misleading present tense of your thread title is also "poetic license"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Britain was claiming the crown of France as late as 1820. And the idea of a union was floated by Churchill in the darkest days of 1940, as a desperate measure to keep France in the war by assuring them of British commitment. From the point of view of Great-Power politics, which in those days France and Britain still thought they could play, it's not so stupid.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And the misleading present tense of your thread title is also "poetic license"?

No, the misleading present tense in the title was sensationalist journalism designed to get people to enter the thread for a possible quick laugh before moving onto more relevant and important subjects.
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the title and knew the article it was referring to. I appreciated the poetic license/sensationalist journalism. The title and Bella Bee's post brightened up my day, so thank you both.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they'd already had Canada out of wedlock. I think it would have been the only decent thing to do.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

You make a good point, pooka. Of the two, I think France has been the least involved in recent times, so I hope they're at least paying child support.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:
I saw the title and knew the article it was referring to. I appreciated the poetic license/sensationalist journalism. The title and Bella Bee's post brightened up my day, so thank you both.

Glad I could be of service. I thought Bella Bee's comment was funny as well.
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar300:

Even France doesn't like France.

[Eek!]

Reality really is stranger than fiction.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm. I think this would have turned France into a European quebec.. always whining for indpendance while sucking on the commonwealth's teat.

Plus they would have insisted everything in every commonwealth nation be in both languages.

The UK dodged a bullet.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think it'd be quite like that, for several reasons.

One, it never would have lasted. As soon as the immediate threat was over, and their empires both collapsed anyway, there'd be no real reason to stay together, especially with US forces bolstering west Germany. It would have been a marriage of covenience, and it would not have lasted. They'd have been divorced after a decade.

Two, Quebec has a large, large English speaking minority, whereas France is comprised entirely of French people. There's a difference between being a nation of one people that have been that way for a thousand years joining another nation, and a half formed nation that has changed hands three different times in a hundred years and doesn't have the power to make any of its demands stick.

Three, population. The UK at the time had 50 million people, France had a bit over 40 million. It would put them on roughly equal footing. This is all academic anyway, because the French people never would have gone along with this, but if they had joined it would have been as equals, after a fashion, not as subservients. They would have been able to band together to take a huge swath of parliament for themselves.

The UK would have gotten some goodies out of the deal. For example, especially once the UK lost India, France's farmland would have been a boon to waterlocked, net food importer Britain. It would've saved them a lot of money and kept them secure. Besides, it's misleading to say Quebec is "sucking at the commonwealth's teat" when they produce billions of dollars worth of economic production for Canada. They do their part. France would have done its part.

I wouldn't say they dodged a bullet, but it's just as well they didn't bother with it. I think in the end, given how everything turned out, the UK would have gotten far more out of it than France, but they both ended up doing just fine.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Did the citizens of France not even know about this proposal? This is pretty hilarios.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Considering it was all locked up in secret documents, I'd say it's a fair bet that no more than a dozen or so people probably knew about it.

Not sure if I get why people think it's so funny.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
France and England would be very peculiar bedfellows, Lyrhawn. That they would consider "getting together" is astonishing and rather humorous.

Someone is going to use this in a sci fi story. I have a premonition.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Agreed it'd be peculiar. But give the war had only recently ended, both nations were torn by the greatest war in recent memory, the Soviet Union seemed to be at their doorstep, and their colonial empires were crumbling around the edges, "getting together" doesn't sound that odd as an idea someone might toss out.

It might have been more astonishing if the idea had actually gone anywhere.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.