FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Smallville viewers are being subjected to Emotional Abuse (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Smallville viewers are being subjected to Emotional Abuse
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Thats it. Cancel Smallville, and bring back Roswell with Lex and Chloe as new characters. Kristin Kreuk and Shiri Appleby are basically the same person anyways.

Nooooooooo....! Kristin Kruek is the source of all things evil. Shiri Appleby rocks.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Thats it. Cancel Smallville, and bring back Roswell with Lex and Chloe as new characters. Kristin Kreuk and Shiri Appleby are basically the same person anyways.

Geez, I was in Japan for Christmas and was so bored. My youngest sister walked in and wanted to watch the entire first season on Roswell I protested at first and then decided to not bully her in her own house. I sat there for hours watching that entire show, and by the end of it, I concluded that humanity was doomed.
<shrug> I kind of liked it. I didn't watch it until years after it ended, but I liked it. Mostly.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Geez, I was in Japan for Christmas and was so bored. My youngest sister walked in and wanted to watch the entire first season on Roswell I protested at first and then decided to not bully her in her own house. I sat there for hours watching that entire show, and by the end of it, I concluded that humanity was doomed.
<shrug> I kind of liked it. I didn't watch it until years after it ended, but I liked it. Mostly.
See I "kinda" liked it at first, but then as I think about it in retrospect I get mad at it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...by the end of it, I concluded that humanity was doomed.
I concluded the same thing after one viewing of American Idol.

Each to his own, I guess.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Nooooooooo....! Kristin Kruek is the source of all things evil. Shiri Appleby rocks.
Well yeah, much better actress. But just from their looks they seem to be such Katie Holmes clones for the WB.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
...by the end of it, I concluded that humanity was doomed.
I concluded the same thing after one viewing of American Idol.
Agreed. Most emphatically.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka said -

"I don't understand why so many people keep watching that giant, smoldering crater. (meaning 'Smallville')"

Why?

Tom Welling is the answer. If the whole show was just Tom Welling standing and posing, it would still get decent ratings.

He's every girls (and some guys) perfect fantasy.

Just trying to help.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
Rivka said -

"I don't understand why so many people keep watching that giant, smoldering crater. (meaning 'Smallville')"

Why?

Tom Welling is the answer. If the whole show was just Tom Welling standing and posing, it would still get decent ratings.

He's every girls (and some guys) perfect fantasy.

Just trying to help.

Steve/BlueWizard

This man speaks the truth! My wife has stopped calling other guys hot or cute because I explained it was unfair of her to get mad at me for making the same observation about girls. But she has insisted that she be allowed to continue to stare at Tom Welling with dreamy eyes and call him hot. I retain the same right for no girls besides Mrs BlackBlade. Completely unfair, but it makes perfect sense to her apparently.

Its the weirdest thing I have seen, he turns 30 this April and he is married!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Thirty??? Great Caesar's Ghost! I thought his deterioration was from long-term kryptonite poisoning.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I disagree, Steve. I watch it despite Welling. I watch it for Chloe and Lionel and now Oliver Queen, and for the hope that they'll do something worthwhile with it. If only one ep every season or so.

The first time I saw a commercial for Smallville, we'd just moved back to the US. I think it was even before 9/11. The commercial didn't show anything except what looked like an explosion or natural disaster of some kind, and the word "Smallville". I think I shrieked, which really isn't like me. My partner wanted to know what was wrong, and I explained that this "Smallville" show had to be about Superboy.

It's because of the original excitement expressed by that shriek that I still watch it, despite my almost continual disappointment.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
Rivka said -

Why?

You have a definite point. (It's the eyes.) But even for him I cannot watch that show. Actually, I'd be far more likely to watch him standing around and posing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Thirty??? Great Caesar's Ghost, I thought his deterioration was from long-term kryptonite poisoning.

Did you know that he's older than Brandon Routh? There's something just wrong about Superboy being older than Superman.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The first time I saw a commercial for Smallville, we'd just moved back to the US. I think it was even before 9/11. The commercial didn't show anything except what looked like an explosion or natural disaster of some kind, and the word "Smallville".

It was definitely pre 9/11 -- the ads (and the similar billboards, which were plastered all over L.A.) were non-stop summer of 2001.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*laugh* You left out the entire fourth season -- my favorite season. (Of the ones that actually aired, anyway. Seasons 5 and 6 were even better.)
Huh, I guess I did leave out the fourth season. I guess I stopped watching after the awful events in third season and on remembering thought that it was cancelled. Well, maybe I'll have to rent that one day. [Smile] Were Seasons 5 and 6 fanfic?

As for Roswell, I loved it when it was on (and I was very much the teenage girl target audience). When rewatching it, the first two seasons didn't fare well, the third did.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Well, maybe I'll have to rent that one day. [Smile]

Now that it's out on DVD, you actually can. (I'd lend you mine, but it'd be kind of a far drive for you. [Wink] )

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Were Seasons 5 and 6 fanfic?

Yup. But they were released in live chat sessions one week at a time. By a really dedicated group of fans, some of whom still write L&C fanfic. The Archive is full of some really excellent stuff (as well as the occasional real clunker -- I can make specific recommendations if you like), and a few have even made it into MP3 form, for those prefer to listen to their fic.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's Smallville's current ratings? Are they thinking of a season 7? I'm not sure the writers know where they're going half the time. They need some FOCUS.

How much better would Smallville have been had they cut the number of seasons in half, took out 90% of the meteor-freak episodes and, of course, eliminated the emotional abuse? "Smallville from concentrate" would have been great.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first time I saw a commercial for Smallville, we'd just moved back to the US. I think it was even before 9/11. The commercial didn't show anything except what looked like an explosion or natural disaster of some kind, and the word "Smallville". I think I shrieked, which really isn't like me. My partner wanted to know what was wrong, and I explained that this "Smallville" show had to be about Superboy.

It's because of the original excitement expressed by that shriek that I still watch it, despite my almost continual disappointment.

I remember having that feeling when I was sitting in the theatre watching The Phantom Menace. The first new Star Wars movie in 15 years! Wow! I had chills when the title music played.

After that, all was ashes, of course, but those first few moments of the title music... mmm.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I still watch Smallville each week that it's new, mainly so I catch the good episodes (which are usually season openers, season finales, and one or two episodes in between). Most times anymore with the Clark/Lana stuff, I just do something else while it's on and then tune back in when it's off. It's typically only four or five minutes towards the end of the show if it's there, so it's pretty easy to avoid once you get used to it. Still I agree, Smallville could be so much better if some of this stuff wasn't repeated ad nauseam so much.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Smallville is much easier to watch on DVD because there are entire seasons where you can watch each episode up to where Clark and Lana are standing awkwardly near each other, and just Skip to the next episode. You don't miss anything of importance and you avoid that queasy feeling.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
They did the Clark/Lana thing tonight with Lois and Oliver. How magical.

They also covered the only real reason why Superman would ever need the rest of the Justice League. "Dammit Clark, you don't want to play as part of the team, man. And you found out you needed us, in case you ever stumble into a room full of kryptonite. I mean, other than that, yeah, we've got nothing to offer, but oooh that kryptonite."

Also, I think tonight they foreshadowed (not the right word, really) that Chloe was going to die and have her brain patterns turned into the Watchtower AI.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

If they kill Chloe, I will stop watching.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The only member of the Justice League Superman needs is Batman, to save him from being an idiot.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
The only member of the Justice League Superman needs is Batman, to save him from being an idiot.

Bruce Wayne in any continuity would probably just walk up to this Clark and slap him.

edit: shameful grammar and spelling

[ January 19, 2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Stephan ]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't think they were foreshadowing Chloe dying and becoming a Watchtower AI. I think the whole Watchtower thing was just reference to the fact that the real JLA does use the Watchtower for information, usually relying on one person who is there to provide it (some times J'ohn J'onzz or some times Oracle, who isn't necessarily in the Watchtower). I think it was purely an inside reference to people who know about the real JLA and nothing more.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait. Tom Welling is turning 30?!?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

Yup, born April of 1977. Now do the math. How old was he playing a 14 year old high school freshman? 24.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, basically what you're saying is that if Tom Welling is set on fire, we'll all feel better about ourselves and our non-mutant aging processes?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Only if we bludgeon him to death with a porkchop.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

Yup, born April of 1977. Now do the math. How old was he playing a 14 year old high school freshman? 24.
This was actually a Good Thing, as it meant I was not lusting after jailbait.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Which will then be served with a nice Merlot?
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

[Smile] No, just imaginary jailbait.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bruce Wayne in any contiuity would probably just walk about to this Clark and slap him.
This definitely should happen. In fact, they should air a special new Friday 1:30pm EST 5min. episode of Smallville with just this happening.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Which will then be served with a nice Merlot?
Well, it will be nice and tender.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Bruce Wayne in any contiuity would probably just walk about to this Clark and slap him.
This definitely should happen. In fact, they should air a special new Friday 1:30pm EST 5min. episode of Smallville with just this happening.
I'd watch it. Even though it would be on at 10:30 in the morning.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
5 minutes, nothing. An hour of slapping would barely be enough, especially considering there would be commercial breaks and a pause to promote whatever new pop song Bruce was slapping Clark to the tune of.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I would DEFINATELY watch an hour episode of Bruce Wayne laying the smack down on Clark.

Also I agree that Tom Wellings aging processes must be the product of mutant genes, perhaps he really is from another planet.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

You are making an incorrect assumption.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
quote:
quote:

You are making an incorrect assumption.
I know. In fact I know what you mean to. Its like seeing a gorgeous actress in her 20's playing a teenager. Its ok to be attracted to the actress.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
5 minutes, nothing. An hour of slapping would barely be enough, especially considering there would be commercial breaks and a pause to promote whatever new pop song Bruce was slapping Clark to the tune of.

Well, I think I'd take the pop songs over the music they played on last week's episode. Every scene with emotional tension played some weird music that made me think an axe-killer was going to jump out at any moment and slaughter everyone. I guess horror music is the way they build the tension now, even though we are talking about interpersonal scenes, not scenes that involve mortal danger.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:

*cough* Hey, look over there! *hides his copies of Smallville: The Talon Mix and Smallville: Metropolis Mix* [Big Grin]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that if they make a Paula Abdul biography movie. Erica Durance (Lois) would play a perfect Paula Abdul. [Smile]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Welling? Hot? What the hell? The only decent looking guy on that show is Lex, Michael Rosenbaum. He is quite cool.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:

Yes, I know Smallville has plenty of things to pick apart, yet I still enjoy watching it. I am willing to look past most of those things, but the one thing that is starting to tick me off is the whole Lana/Clark dance around his secret.

I just watched last week's episode, and I'm starting to feel abused and manipulated by the writers of Smallville. Every other episode it seems, during the last 6 years, has included this same scene...

Holy crap, they're still doing that?

I watched Smallville religiously for the first three seasons. I couldn't stand anything else on the WB but I thought this was the greatest show ever. And the cliffhanger that ended Season 3 made me think that Season 4 would be completely different, especially since Clark was going to Metropolis for college. I thought, 'Clark will hold his liquor better than anyone else at the frat. And Lana -- like most real high school romances -- will gradually fade out of the picture, while Lois takes her place.' Then Season 4 does roll around, and... Clark's joining the school's football team.

Um, [Confused] ? Had my local network affiliate accidently aired a rerun of the pilot? Then, my faith already shaken, Season 4 gave us not less, but more [Cry] of Lana!

Where's the evolution? Stories are supposed to evolve! This series just goes on cycles!

I'm sorry if I'm rambling a bit, but Smallville used to mean a lot to me. I used to schedule out time to watch every new episode when it first aired, because if it was recorded and watched later, the picture quality would be lower. But I haven't seen a lot of Season 5 and none of the current season. I don't even own a television anymore. And I used to write fanfic about this show!

I'm not watching it anymore, but just hearing about what's going on, it's almost as painful.

[ January 21, 2007, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Princesska ]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.