FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MP3 Player Help

Author Topic: MP3 Player Help
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to buy an Mp3 player. I love the iPod sleek look, but it is probably not the best bargain out there. I'm looking for ~5-20GB player that is, most importantly, high quality. I'm sure the wise gurus here on Hatrack can help me with advice [Smile] .

^^

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that it's not what you're looking for, but I have been extremely pleased with my 1 GB Creative Zen Nano Plus. If I lost it today I'd immediately buy another one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
What OS are you using? Can you specify what storage size you're looking at (more specifically than "5-20," as that's quite a wide range)? What features are a priority for you? What's your budget?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Budget: Not great, but want to buy this. Looking to spend about 100$ + - 30$.
Storage size: Dunno. I want it to play enough music that I'm happy. Maybe 500 songs?
Features: Plays music. Don't really care about Video.

^^

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
for your budget 5gigs is probably already out of your range. I can't think of any mp3 players off the top of my head of that size for that cheap(maybe an iRiver H10 or Zen Micro used, but you're looking for new right?). the best i think you'll be able to do is 2GBs. luckily, 500 songs is probably right around that range. 20GBs would let you store around 5000 songs. which seems unnecessary for you needs. I'd have to get back to you about particular models though. gotta head out now.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I did some looking into mr_porteiro_head's suggestion, the 1 GB Creative Zen Nano Plus, and feel enthused.

It is really easy to upgrade though, right? So I just hook it into my computer through a USB cable whenever I want, and it's really simple to upload into it the songs I want?

If so, then I'm signed up [Smile] .

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like some help too since I'll be purchasing one next week.

First of all, I don't want an iPod.

I'm not particularly looking for something that plays anything other than music although I wouldn't complain if the feature was present, either. [Razz]

I'll be looking into the Creative Zen line, but I'm wondering if anyone here recomends the iRiver Clix since I find the design very appealing.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
I did some looking into mr_porteiro_head's suggestion, the 1 GB Creative Zen Nano Plus, and feel enthused.

It is really easy to upgrade though, right? So I just hook it into my computer through a USB cable whenever I want, and it's really simple to upload into it the songs I want?

If so, then I'm signed up [Smile] .

I'll assume you mean upload not upgrade. [Smile]

Yes, it's extremely easy to manage. You just plug it in, and it acts like a flash drive. Arrange your files into folders if you want different playlists.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

www.woot.com has a 6 GB Rio Carbon for sale today (and today only) for $80.
Phanto
Member # 5897

Ummm, is that a good deal or not, mr_porteiro_head? Assume I know nothing about technology [Smile] . Is it worth pulling out the card and buying it *right now*?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about the actual mp3 player that they have, but for 6gb that is a good deal.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like it would have the same interferace as a normal CD player and I'm not looking for that. I already have an RCA Lyra that does it and it's very annoying beacause you can't just pick the song you're looking for: You have to fast forward to it and it would take me hours to get through 6 gigs of music just to find that one song.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

The Creative 1 GB Zen thing, Altariel?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
It seems like it would have the same interferace as a normal CD player and I'm not looking for that. I already have an RCA Lyra that does it and it's very annoying beacause you can't just pick the song you're looking for: You have to fast forward to it and it would take me hours to get through 6 gigs of music just to find that one song.

Actually, all of Rio's micro drive & larger players have scrollable navigation similar to the iPod's (except instead of the click wheel, they utilize a rubberized wheel in the upper right/left corner of the player).
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Story's Continuation:

I just ordered the lovely 1 GB from Zen. Hoping for the best! Thanks to mph for the advice, and to everyone else, as well [Smile]

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Spend the money on the iPod, probably one of the best investments that I have ever made. Check out there refubished store to see if there are any good deals on the one that you want.

Best product for the money!

Or you can wait and just by the iPhone once it comes out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.