FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 11)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I so want to see Christopher Ecclercson on the show, just one pretty please....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So. Tonight's episode, thoughts?

I thought it started out kinda meh, I don't usually like those kinds of episodes, but ended up pretty awesome. And I really liked the Ronon alternate history.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I've missed the last two episodes now. I'm fallin behind.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Lyr on AoT and with kq on the last episode of SGA.

And AoT has some great extras. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I agree with Lyr on AoT
Totally? That means you have a crush on Sarah Strange too. [Smile]

What were the extras? I'll have to Netflix it now.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be a while 'till you get it then. I've had it at the top of my queue since before it was released and it's gone from "short wait" to "long wait." [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
I agree with Lyr on AoT
Totally? That means you have a crush on Sarah Strange too. [Smile]
You betcha. [Big Grin] I'm thrilled she's on Men in Trees.

quote:
What were the extras? I'll have to Netflix it now.

20 minutes from ComicCon (I laughed so hard I cried), 30 minutes of behind-the-scenes, um . . . there was something else. Ask me when I'm awake.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've finished season ten of SG-1, and I was quite confused about a few things in the finale.

First, I thought the Ori didn't have ships capable of hyperspace through galaxies. How could they have followed them to the Asgard homeworld?

And if they were invading the Asgard galaxy as well, why didn't the Asgard just blow them all up since they seem to have the power too? Furthermore, why didn't the Asgard ship that was helping during the first invasion from the supergate do more damage?

If they are invading the Asgard galaxy, or if they do indeed have intergalactic hyperspace, why are they not in the Pegasus Galaxy?

If they do indeed have intergalactic hyperspace, why do they give a crap about building supergates when they can just get here without them?

On a positive note, I have never had as much fun watching a Stargate episode as when I watched 200, funniest episode ever.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
On a positive note, I have never had as much fun watching a Stargate episode as when I watched 200, funniest episode ever.

Indeed.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
First, I thought the Ori didn't have ships capable of hyperspace through galaxies. How could they have followed them to the Asgard homeworld?

Ida (the Asgard galaxy) is relatively close. Pegasus is farther, and the Ori galaxy is WAY farther.

A ship that can get to Ida cannot necessarily make it to the other two.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Indeed.
I dunno, I liked "200" but "Window of Opportunity" is soooo funny...
rivka
Member # 4859

It's definitely a close second.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Which is second?
rivka
Member # 4859

WoO, for me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ah. I'm the other way around-- but it IS close. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

One more thing about AoT: Zombies are overdone. Bleh on the zombie.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh it's so hard to say. I've loved WoO for years. 200 was clever and funny, but WoO is old school Stargate hilarious. I think I have to side with WoO, but 200 is a close, CLOSE second.

MEC, they spent the year or two after that battle making newer better weapons. I don't think the Ori were invading them, they were just following the Stargate team there.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING???!!!???" has to be one of the funniest moments EVER on television. To me, anyway.

I should go watch that again.

Well, really, I should sleep while I have a chance. But you know, I don't see that happening. So WoO it is. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So. Just finished AoT.

There was good and there was bad. And there was cheese. Lots of cheese.

Overall I enjoyed it; I'd say 3.5 stars out of 5.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a separate thread for Ark of Truth? I can't find it.

I agree that Window of Opportunity and 200 were terrific episodes. I like The Lost City, too.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There was but it didn't really last long-- the starter was directed to this thread, where discussion was already happening. So most of our discussion was here.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There are details for two more episodes of Atlantis' season five: Whispers and Ghost in the Machine.

Stargate Universe, the potential third series, has been pitched to MGM, along with an unnamed third direct to DVD movie. MGM is currently not commenting on either, and has not made a decision on what to do. Sales continue to be strong for Ark of Truth, and they even broke into Amazon's top 10.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw AoT last night. I would have liked them to have elaborate on the moral issues they spent so much time raising at the begining, but it was a lot of fun. I thought it was a satisfying ending that tied back to their earlier storylines with out being derivative.

I also liked the zombie. [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

News! News everywhere! As far as the eye can see, and about every single prong of the Stargate series that there is!

We'll start old school, SG1 News

The makers of Stargate are going to be giving the first episode of SG1 (Children of the Gods) the Star Wars treatment. It'll get new graphics, some scenes (including the full frontal scene) will get the axe, and some scenes will be added. The music will also be rescored. The producers fell it wasn't their best effort and that the writing was weak in some areas as well.

Other SG1 news includes news on Continuum. It will be released on July 29th. That's confirmed. I have some plot details, but I'll leave those out for now, it's nothing Earth shattering.

Now for your Stargate Atlantis news.

July 8th is the release date for Season Four of Atlantis on DVD. Also, the Fifth season of Stargate Atlantis will begin in July, not in the fall.

The sixth episode of S5 will be "The Shrine of Talus" which is being described as a "David Hewlett tour de force," that made Jewel Staite cry. The last time Brad Wright wrote an episode called a "Tour de force" he won a Leo Award.

The mid-season cliffhanger will be the episode where Michael Shanks will guest star (in parts one and two) as Daniel Jackson, and will be called "First Contact." Jackson will arrive at Atlantis looking to research Janus, the guy who froze Weir in isolation back in S1 and gave her the gate addresses to the ZPM worlds. While there, they'll meet one of the new major races to be introduced in S5.

Joe Mallozzi said we will definetely see new alien warships this season, and would not confirm or deny a rumor that a major character would be killed off this season.

Now, DRUMRRRRROOOOOLLLLLLLLLL please!

Stargate Universe news!

Huzzah! And the peasants rejoiced! Long awaited and now it commeth forth, we have early plot details on Stargate Universe, a discussion of where it stands, and what direction we might be going in:

quote:
"The idea of Stargate Universe is that it is set on a ship that was part of an Ancient experiment that was set in motion probably millions of years ago -- one that they never saw to fruition, but that we can," Wright told GateWorld exclusively. "They got busy with the whole ascension thing."

The experiment is "to send a ship across the universe, and to send one ahead of it to seed the galaxies with Stargates, and that they would one day use the ninth chevron to get there [to the ship]. And that's what Stargate Universe is."

Millions of years ago (before their conflict with the Wraith and possibly even before they moved Atlantis to the Pegasus Galaxy), the show would reveal, the Ancients sent out two ships: an automated vessel to place Stargates throughout multiple galaxies in our universe, and a second ship to follow up and explore.

A standard, 7-symbol gate address allows for travel within the same galaxy. Use of the Stargate's eighth chevron allows for travel to a different galaxy. And the ninth chevron will allow the team to reach this second, still unmanned Ancient ship.

So it's set in space, on a ship, WITH a stargate!? I'm not sure how they plan to make that work. Hell I'm not even sure I totally understand the concept, though the Stargate seeding ship would make a LOT of sense considering half the planets the Stargate teams go to look totally untouched by the Ancients.

What is the status of the show? The pitch for the show was received well by MGM and Sci-Fi, and until recently they were unwilling to do anything about it so long as the writer's strike was ongoing. But problems still remain. 1. The show they are proposing is inherently more expensive than previous shows. The showrunners say that they can justify the cost because they've performed well in the past, so let's do it right...or not at all. 2. They REALLY want to keep doing direct to DVD movies.

quote:
"Internally, Robert and I are a little bit torn, because we had such a great time making The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum. Making one or two of those a year would be a damn fine thing to do! Honestly, it takes up a big chunk of time writing it, a big chunk of time making it, and then the post on a movie is more than twice as complicated as post on the biggest episodes. So it's not like you can just knock one off while you're making a television show. It's just too much."
3. Doing two shows concurrently eats at the budget and it's a huge strain on the writers, actors, and crew.

quote:
Wright said that he is not anxious to return to a schedule that requires the Vancouver team to produce 40 hours of television each year, indicating that Stargate Universe may wait until Atlantis has concluded its run.
They aren't eager to go back to that, so, it may be that SGU will get shelved until Atlantis finishes its run. It was a stretch apparently to get a fifth season, by some accounts, so Atlantis might be done after five or six seasons, it's hard to say one way or the other. Or they might decide to work something out. Apparently SGU was originally conceived as a direct to DVD movie designed to bring in new viewers, and if you remember, that's exactly how Atlantis got started.

quote:
If Sci Fi Channel does come through with the money, it’s not clear when the new show will be produced, but apparently scheduling considerations will be at the top of Wright’s list.
As it is still a raw idea for a show that might not see the light of day for a couple years, all the details are subject to change, but now you know what they have in mind.

Season Five looks like it could really be promising. I'd love it if they threw in some fan favorites, like another Mrs. Miller episode, and maybe throwing us a bone on what happened to the Asgard fleet, or hell, maybe even the Ferlings! We've indulged them by putting up with their stupid Wraith and Replicator crap for umpteen years, time for payback!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The makers of Stargate are going to be giving the first episode of SG1 (Children of the Gods) the Star Wars treatment. It'll get new graphics, some scenes (including the full frontal scene) will get the axe, and some scenes will be added. The music will also be rescored. The producers fell it wasn't their best effort and that the writing was weak in some areas as well.

Meh. I'd rather they did new stuff instead of redoing old stuff. Can we say, "A way to get fen to buy yet another DVD set of SG1?"
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know if that is how they are going to package it. They might sell it as a single episode, they might just show it on tv or show it in the Sci-Fi website. Or they might bundle it in with new Season 1 sets, or it might even be an extra on Continuum or some other dvd release. Who knows?

But really, I agree. It's already been made, it's over with, and no offense to the first season but, it had a LOT of crap in it. Fixing the first episode isn't going to magically make it better. Let's move on to all the cool neat new exciting stuff on the horizon.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I agree. I think there's, like one or two eps in the first season that I would list among my favorites; other than that, meh. Whatever. I will probably Netflix it just 'cause, you know, I can, but not watch it more than once.

I kinda hope they wait on the new series so they can give it their really full attention.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd love it if they threw in some fan favorites...maybe even the Ferlings!
We saw the Ferlings. SG1 blew up their planet, remember? [Wink]

In seriousness, I'd also like to know what happened there. I've assumed they're extinct, but there ought to be ruins somewhere.

As for SGU, I think that makes sense. The ship is preprogramed to go to certain worlds in a certain order. An SG team gets stationed on the ship and sees where the Ancients meant to go each week. Disaster ensues but is easily solved in 44 minutes and punctuated with witty banter. Lather, rinse, repeat. It could be fun.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I agree. I think there's, like one or two eps in the first season that I would list among my favorites; other than that, meh.

There are a lot more from S1 that I'd count among my least favorites... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Amazon is offering four Stargate episodes for free for North America for a limited time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dude, and one of them is WoO!
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you Amazon!
quote:

You must be in the US when you download Unbox videos. You can only download Unbox videos while you're in the United States, even if you're a US citizen overseas. Sorry!

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Excellent episode choices.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Details on "Tracker," another S5 episode.

A look at Stargate Continuum. Which is now available for preorder.

Also available for preorder is S4 of Atlantis.

rivka
Member # 4859

*sticks both in cart to await next book order*
MEC
Member # 2968

Will there be any explanation in SG: Universe why the Pegasus stargates are different from the Milky Way and Asgard stargates?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Different in what way?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pegasus gates have symbols that light up, rather than carved symbols.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If I had to venture a guess?

The Pegasus gates are newer. The Ancients went to the Pegasus after the Milky Way had long been established. I believe we saw stargates in the Ori galaxy that looked similar to the ones in the Milky Way, which fits because the Ancients came from the Ori galaxy to the Milky Way, and then went to the Pegasus, and I'd imagine the galaxy of Ida where the Asgard were, though I can't remember what the Asgard gates look like, or if they are different.

The symbols are obviously different because they are in different networks, and the symbols refer to different points in different galaxies so, that makes sense to me. But if I had to guess I'd say that the Pegasus gates are newer, so they bumped it up to the new light up versions that don't actually have to spin, they just light up. It's Gate 2.0.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some fun news and some spicy casting news today.

First off, the next time you hit a casino, you might see a Stargate slot machine.

In my favorite news recently, I've posted before about a new recurring character, Captain Alicia Vega, who was originally Alicia Porter (I think), well the other character has been brought back as Dr. Alison Porter, and she will be played by Ezri Dax, I mean Nicole de Boer! Boer played the second Dax on ST:DS9 and played a recurring role on The Dead Zone.

Vega's role will be as the leader of a new recon team, an ALL female recon team, an all female recon team that happens to be pleasantly attractive. The team sounds like a nice mix of funny, hard knuckled, geeky, and very hot. I think it'd get goofy after awhile if they were the lead team we saw every week, though I think I'd get over it, but they could be a very cool addition to the larger team.

The "Shrine of Talus" has been renamed "The Shrine" apparently for copyright reasons. And the second half of the Mid-season two parter is called "The Lost Tribe." That will of course come after the episode, I think, where Daniel will meet the new race for the season. Exciting stuff before I even see plots for the episodes!

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Stargate SG-1 newbie, and I've been working my way through the episodes. I'm up to 3.08, "Demons," and for the first time I want to throttle Daniel. The only way I can continue to believe anything is by telling myself that Daniel is only an archaeologist, and an Egyptian archaeologist, at that.

Because he's talking crap the whole episode. The inscription at the beginning? I highly doubt it's pre-Chaucer. I didn't even see any thorn! The letter forms are all wrong. And the "witch tests" wouldn't have been present in a "pre-Chaucer" society. Not to mention Daniel's lack of math skills: a society from ~998AD would not have Middle English.

Can we go back to ancient myths now, please?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Don't worry. He'll die later as penance.

Seventeen times. [Wink]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, he's already died a couple times. A few more won't be much penance.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

"Few" nothing. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It ain't Stargate if Daniel ain't dying. [Wink] [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Dying AND coming back to life, otherwise Season 6 wouldn't exist.
MEC
Member # 2968

I find it amusing when certain sci-fi shows have one particular character that dies and comes back, repeatedly.
rivka
Member # 4859

I can't find the little cartoony video of Daniel's deaths. Any of y'all know where it is? (Or have it saved somewhere?)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some updates,

First off, this is the current episode list and order for S5, some with recently revealed details:

1. Search and Rescue
2. The Seed
3. Broken Ties
4. The Daedalus Variations
5. Ghost in the Machine
6. The Shrine
7. Whispers
8. Tracker
9. The Queen
10. First Contact
11. The Lost Tribe
12. Amort
13. Inquisition
14-20 have yet to be announced.

Episode 4, if you click on the link is described as a "wild romp" that takes place mostly on board the ship and has a lot of special effects. The idea sounds like it could be fun.

Robert Picardo has said in an interview that Woolsey will be reinvented and will get a lot of character growth in Season Five. That ought to be interesting. Jewel Staite has been promoted to a series regular on Atlantis, so we should see a lot more of Dr. Keller.

Last but not lease, a teaser trailer for Continuum.

I'll add this about the trailer: Hot damn! On effects alone it looks pretty spectacular.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Details on the ninth episode of S5: The Queen.
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.