FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 13)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I also forgot to mention, about the Atlantis movie, Joe Mallozzi mentioned a gaunt, pallid guest star, which I took to mean that an Ancient would be making a guest appearance on the show.

Fingers crossed, but from the way he said it, and his excitement, I'm hoping that means Sarah Strange will be coming back as Morgan Lefay. I'm hoping she'll have beat Adria or something and come back for a victory lap [Smile]

Edit to add: I just got caught up on the first few episodes of Atlantis, since I'd only seen "The Seed" so far this season and wow, not bad. I just finished watching "The Shrine," which I think just easily worked it's way into the top 10 all time for Stargate episodes, and that includes SG-1. Amazing episode, and not just because my favorite guest star Kate Hewlett was there. Well written, well executed, well put together, well timed, fantastically acted, and I even got a little misty eyed at the end. Usually I'm more drawn to the episodes that have great plot advancement, or cool battles, or the really funny ones, but this was sad and sobering for the most part, and it's my favorite in recent memory.

[ August 23, 2008, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sci-Fi Channel's Dave Howe talks about the direction of Stargate Universe

It looks like they aren't just planning on reaching a younger demographic, they're looking at it as some sort of Stargate/Battlestar Galactica hybrid to take up the slack from both shows going off the air. I think it could work, in a way. I don't think Stargate being more dramatic a la BSG would hurt anything, but they can't lose their sense of humor. I'm sure there's a balance they could find that would be very cool.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else notice the name of the new doctor played by the 2nd Dax from DS9?

Cutest. Porter. Ever. [Smile]

[ September 09, 2008, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I can't remember her name Nicole Deboer or something like that?. Is her role on The Dead Zone over? I would've thought that show had been cancelled by now, which would explain the move.

I missed last week's episode. I was all caught up too.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

New Atlantis villain to be debuted on the midseason two parter. What's going to suck is if they FINALLY get a halfway decent bad guy, only to end the show. Plus we were promised a new ally too.

Stargate Universe is to begin filming on February 4th 2009. They are already working on the sets, casting and scripts. So it's actually far ahead of where Atlantis was at this point.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Hmmm. I'm liking him more-- but because they did allow the character to change some. I still do not like him, but I dislike him less, I guess.

Almost caught up (everything but 5x08), and I agree. I still like Carter better, but I'm getting to see more of the Picardo I like, and Woolsey is growing on me a bit.

Plus the doors-shutting-in-his face bit never gets old. [Big Grin] He actually is a pretty good sport.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not that I've ever been a huge fan of the SGA intro, but what's the deal with yanking it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

(Because two posts in a row from me just isn't enough.)

After watching 6 episodes today, I'm not terribly sad about SGA going away. Only one of the six was really good; a couple were fairly good; a couple more were ok; and one was truly AWFUL.

For bonus points, guess which ones were which. [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
to me theyre all good.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Casting calls have gone out for the third series' main characters, and today the short character break-downs arrived at GateWorld.

Note that while this information doesn't come from our usual source of casting sides, it does come from a source with a proven track record. But until we have more solid confirmation, it should be considered rumor.

As anticipated, the team is led by an older veteran officer, Colonel Everett Young. Young is described as "like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time." The show's producers are looking to cast an established, "name" actor in this role.

The rest of the cast of characters is made up of young men and women, mostly in their early to mid twenties. (Keep in mind that when Stargate SG-1 began in 1997, Michael Shanks was also in his twenties.)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Further breakdown of what will be the full cast.

Interesting.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Tamara Johanson sounds like a fun character, but the rest come off as stereotypes. I hope the actors and writers end up with some meat to work with.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, it sounds like they learned mixed lessons from Atlantis.
No more token alien, but then it seems like several cast members could suffer from Aiden Ford syndrome (i.e. uninteresting young brash thing)

Tamara Johanson sounds like an inexperienced spin on Jewel Staite's character on Atlantis since that seems to have worked out ok. I don't look forward to the contrivances that would bring a US Senator (and his daughter) onto a dangerous mission to an intergalactic starship. Eli Hitchcock is like a young MacKay and could suffer from Wesley Crusher syndrome (...anything he puts his mind to... oy). Jared Nash and Stasiak could work out to be uninteresting Fords.

I wonder if they ended up picking one character from a previous show to bridge the gap, particularly someone familiar with Ancient technology.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've read several Q&As with either Brad Wright or Joe Mallozzi and they all stress that there's a lot more to these descriptions than meets the eye, and that this will be unlike either of the previous Stargate shows. He stressed specifically that it won't be "Voyager 90210." In other words, more character interactions and development, but not in a cheesy sort of way.

I'm not worried about stereotypes. By now everything is a stereotype. What matters is what they do with them, and I have faith in the team working on it. We'll get more details I'm sure in the weeks to come.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching "Tracker", the latest episode. I was expecting the runner they found to pretend to go through the gate by teleporting just before going through.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I haven't seen "First Contact" yet, I'll be watching that later tonight.

But I have here a major, ginormous, HUGE, GIANT SPOILER for what will happen in the second half, "The Lost Tribe."

GIANT GIANT GIANT HUGE MASSIVE SPOILER!!!!

I won't even say anything about it until people choose whether or not to view the link, but it's a WHOPPER. The title of the episode apparently totally fits.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the MASSIVE JAW DROPPING graemlin? Wow, I definitely didn't see that coming. At all.

WOW.

I'm going to go watch that again.

(Also, I love the silence during the reveal. Well done, editors!)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Second the silence, that was very well done.

I just finished watching "First Contact," and wow. They've managed to totally change the dynamic of the show very, very quickly. Now I'm wishing it wasn't ending!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Daaaaaaaang.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. I did not see that coming. I never would have guessed that. Hell, I would've guessed "Furlings" before that. wow.

What I'm wondering after the end of "First Contact", is Zelenka still alive? I'd be pretty pissed if we have another "Beckett Explosion Death". If I'd have to guess I think Shepperd might ascend and descend to save everyone.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I bet Zelenka did something to the shield just in time to save him and the Colonel. He's just that good. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Carrie's is much more likely than MEC's. I don't think Sheppard is really the ascension type.

I'm betting Zalenka couldn't contain the blast so he moved the shield to save the two of them at the expense of the control room (how the heck are they going to fix THAT?).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Amanda Tapping is rumored but unconfirmed to be in the last episode of Atlantis, the next SG1 movie and the first Atlantis movie, both of which are currently being written and will be filmed concurrently next Spring/Summer.

Continuum and Ark of Truth will be aired on Sci-Fi in the Winter of next year I think.

I'm expecting both plot details for the next movies and for SGU, and casting info, in the next couple weeks.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Not that I've ever been a huge fan of the SGA intro, but what's the deal with yanking it?

I've decided I don't mind. One less thing to fast-forward through. [Wink]

I caught up last night, watching both Remnants and Brain Storm.

S P O I L E R S !

Remnants wasn't great, but it was not bad. And I have to say, if they HAD to bring what's-his-name back, this was the least painful way to do so. And the line that John tortures himself every day was well done. And quite true, as were some of the other insights. And I really liked the end bit about Zelenka. [Big Grin]

2.75 out of 5. Almost a solid 3.

Brain Storm, OTOH, was AWESOME!!! 4.5 out of 5, and that mostly because the pacing was somewhat uneven. Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson were both great. (Although when did Dave Foley become Creepy Stalker Guy? That's like the third show I've seen him on recently be weird and smarmy on. He was sweet and likable and only somewhat annoying on News Radio! Now I want him locked away, for the good of the society! [Wink] )

And yay! FINALLY! [Party]

(Amusingly, while double-checking something, I found someone who hated the ep pretty much exactly for the reasons I loved it.)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I haven't seen most of the newer episodes yet. The last thing I saw was the two parter with Michael Shanks.

I'm guessing Neil deGrasse Tyson was there as himself, which would be awesome for a couple reasons. One, I loved it when they referenced him in an earlier episode when they were playing "Who would you rather." I think that was "Trio." And because I just love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's wonderfully engaging and brimming with enthusiasm for his work that I see few people matching. I think when people love what they do, it's much easier for them to make others love it as well. I had little interest in anything involving astronomy or astrophysics before I saw him on the Colbert Report a couple times, and then I bought "Death by Black Hole," some of which was way over my head, but I still greatly enjoyed it. Then I took an actual astronomy class in college for my science gen ed credit, which was just awesome. My mind was in a constant state of blown in that class.

Anywho, now I've really got to get caught up with this after finals next week. I need to get caught up with the latest news for Universe too. They should have some casting done by now, and more production shots of the sets. Filming starts in just a couple months.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Seeing Bill Nye the Science Guy on SGA blew my mind, it was the ultimate geek moment for me.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm guessing Neil deGrasse Tyson was there as himself, which would be awesome for a couple reasons. One, I loved it when they referenced him in an earlier episode when they were playing "Who would you rather." I think that was "Trio."

He was, it was, and there were several oblique references to that earlier reference.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haven't been here in a month, but then I usually check my Stargate rumor mills more often than this.

As many of you know, the finale for Atlantis is this Friday. I'm about a year behind on Atlantis, so I have no idea what's going on, but the cast and crew are all very proud of it.

There's already talk of a double feature SG1 movie and Atlantis movie, so those will move ahead on schedule. Universe is set to start filming in less than a month. Many of the sets have already been constructed and more are being worked on as we speak.

Casting has already begun, and thus far the only actor I see being named is famed Scottish born actor Robert Carlyle. He's been in a ton of stuff, and apparently the creator of Doctor Who said something to the effect of "what? has his agent actually WATCHED Stargate?" when he found out. Maybe he's just pissed that he can't get him for Dr. Who now. Either way I remember him from a couple things, so that should be cool, he's a good actor, crazy range. There should still be another mildly big named actor to play the lead, but things may have changed since then.

I'll post more updates when I can.

rivka
Member # 4859

I have only one word about the finale. GAH!!! >_<

As for Vegas, the second to last one, what the heck was that?!? That entire horrible thing, just to excuse the weak signal that only one Wraith ship would pick up on? Surely we could come up with something that WASN'T like a really bad CIS episode?

But the finale . . . ! Someone said, "We need to have Atlantis land on Earth, and fight off the Wraith, and someone needs to die -- only not really. And the Wraith have to be even scarier than usual, BUT not so many of them that Earth loses. Oh, and can we visit the SGC? Let's have Sam, and Major Davis, and Walter! And a teary memorial for Don Davis!

"We can fit all that in, right?"

[Wall Bash]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts exactly.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
I have only one word about the finale. GAH!!! >_<

As for Vegas, the second to last one, what the heck was that?!? That entire horrible thing, just to excuse the weak signal that only one Wraith ship would pick up on? Surely we could come up with something that WASN'T like a really bad CIS episode?

But the finale . . . ! Someone said, "We need to have Atlantis land on Earth, and fight off the Wraith, and someone needs to die -- only not really. And the Wraith have to be even scarier than usual, BUT not so many of them that Earth loses. Oh, and can we visit the SGC? Let's have Sam, and Major Davis, and Walter! And a teary memorial for Don Davis!

"We can fit all that in, right?"

[Wall Bash]

Hey I liked all that though.
rivka
Member # 4859

I would have preferred a plot that made sense.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

On the bright side, it had lots of new ships and cool battle scenes. That sates my inner guy.

But yeah, I too wish it had been something more. Going out with a bang and going out with grace were apparently diametrically opposed, because they went all one way without paying any attention to the other.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
On the bright side, it had lots of new ships and cool battle scenes.

meh [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Going out with a bang

That was not going out with a bang. That was a drawn-out whimper.

(Or maybe that was coming from me.)

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
It should have been a two-parter, explain things better and so forth.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Reminded me of the last episode of Voyager really, with the random plot developments and arbitrary return to Earth.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you watched until the end of Voyager?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Amazing, isn't it?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
Going out with a bang

That was not going out with a bang. That was a drawn-out whimper.

(Or maybe that was coming from me.)

Somehow I pictured you as more of an exasperated sigh type.
rivka
Member # 4859

That too. [Wink]

This was so much WORSE than the last episode of Voyager (which I kind of like)!

Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Let's have Sam, and Major Davis, and Walter! And a teary memorial for Don Davis!

Hey, now. I love Walter! Seeing him always makes things happier.

The only tolerable part of the last two episodes were the various Trek references that Robert Picardo got to deliver. Other than that (well, okay, and Detective Sheppard's nice tight jeans...), they felt like rather below-average episodes. The VOY finale was at least somewhat compelling (if one watched the whole series, as I did); this, I watched more out of obligation than anything else.

Ah, well. At least I've got BSG to look forward to. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

I love Walter too. If they had only gone for the part you quoted -- instead of piling it in on everything else -- I would have been pretty happy.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm not going to do a bunch of links, but if anyone wants to head over to Gateworld, there is a bunch of news on the cast of the new Stargate Universe, which is pretty much set now from all appearances (which is good since filming starts on February 5th!).

There is also news on the new Atlantis movie, which will be released in 2010. The plot will in some way center around what to do with Atlantis now that it is off the cost of San Fran, and how to deal with an IOA that is unlikely to want to let it go.

The new SG1 movie will also come out in 2010, and the plots are being batted around, but apparently the plot of revealing the Stargate program to the world is still in the running. The only real news there is that RDA will be a lead actor, not a guest role like on Continuum, so plenty of face time.

The only other news it that Universe was pushed back from a Summer release to a Fall release. They decided to compete with the big boys rather than secure the Summer doldrums.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

First off, I'm not sure if this was in the last batch of news I posted or not, but Lou Diamond Phillips is going to be the other lead opposite Robert Carlyle (and also Ming Na from er). A couple respectably decent big names for the show.

Casting is done now of course, and filming has been ongoing for the last month. Already there is a teaser trailer for the show, can you guess the theme?

If you said "dark" you answered correctly. Yeah, it is noticeably darker than previous shows. The showrunners have said that they don't intend for the show to be a replacement for BSG, but that they did want to take a more plot arc oriented, serious tone with it than with previous shows. I sort of see it as aiming for a BSG/SG1 hybrid, where they keep the character development (Such as it was at times) and some of the humor but add long standing plot arcs and more serious issues.

There are already episode titles and some sketchy descriptions of the first few episodes up, but I've chosen not to spoil myself beyond a very, very basic outline of what the plot is supposed to be (Lost in Space 2.0!). With BSG and Atlantis gone, SGU is my only hope for a solid Sci-Fi fix that doesn't involve watching dozens of seasons of Dr. Who to get caught back up. Besides, I want my sci-fi in space, and preferably with battles. So I'm going to try to keep up my hopes that it will be decent.

rivka
Member # 4859

arg.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

First episode is this Friday night.

Full length trailer of what's in store

It looks good. It's not BSG, it's not traditional Stargate, it's not Voyager (well, it's a LITTLE Voyager), it's a bit of all of them from the looks of things. I might start a new thread on Friday for discussion of the show, unless people are happy with reanimating this one.

There's tons of news, reviews, blah blah blah at Gateworld, but I didn't feel like posting all of it. Check it out if you're interested.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It looks pretty meh to me. Not as much my style.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The only thing that makes me nervous style wise is them describing the filming style as being like "Cloverfield," which I'm not really a big fan of.

But I'm going to give it a chance. Atlantis started off extremely rocky in my opinion. SG1 was only as good as it was to most people becasue of the interactions between the four main characters, most especially Jack and Daniel. It was the chemistry that kept people coming back. Atlantis didn't really get good until it was nearly canceled, mostly I think due to extremely wooden acting (though I thought Jason Momoa was better than Christopher Judge in the role he was assigned, and I thought David Hewlett was brilliant). They didn't have that chemistry. It only got better when they made some big cast changes.

I'm hoping that SGU, while incorporating darker elements and a rougher (more modern I suppose) sci-fi feel to the show, doesn't lose track of the chemistry that brought people in to begin with. They say they're focusing on character interactions with the show, so we'll see.

I've read some surprisingly rave and glowing reviews for the first few episodes. To be honest, I really didn't think people would take to it that much, but a lot of reviewers are saying it'll sate old SG fans (well, not all of them are saying that) while finally delivering what the non-fans always wanted. I'm not sure what that is, but it's got it.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.