FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 15)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the arm in the puddle thing seemed a little ambiguous as far as Stargate lore goes. They've shown both gates unable to be deactivated because there was still something in the event horizon, so they couldn't because of safety precautions, yet on the second or third episode of SG1, they intentionally turned off the gate to kill an SG member with a goauld in his head. I can sort of see the ship having a failsafe and not activating while there's an active wormhole, but yeah I agree, if they do that every week, it's really going to kill whatever excitement factor is actually roused in the 24 like count down.

I'm mixed on the stones, but I'm mostly finding them a positive thing at the moment. I don't so much care about what's going on back on earth, though I like the opportunities for guest appearances the stones bring in, and for that matter, it allows people from Earth to experience life on the ship, which I thought was interesting in the case of Telford's body snatching douchebaggery. We've already seen Atlantis having them be cut off, and we've seen other shows with crews being cut off. It really makes it impossible to resolve a lot of issues, whereas this just makes it difficult but maybe more rewarding.

It's really, really going to depend on how the use of the stones is portrayed on the show. It could either be a major buzzkill, or it could end up being an excellent plot device.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
yet on the second or third episode of SG1, they intentionally turned off the gate to kill an SG member with a goauld in his head.

The Enemy Within

Clearly, that was before they had restored any of the safety protocols. Remember, they had to override them to get the gate to work in the first place. Either that, of the gate safeties don't work for Go'aulds. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Greer seems to be a new animal in the SG game, almost every last main character has gone wacko due to outside influences but never before has a main character started out with emotional problems. Not only that, he is openly violent and will probably start jockeying for alpha male status sometime soon, I assume (as we have been given no clues) that Greer was in the brig for insubordination, if I'm right he already has a past of defying what I can only assume were simple orders (they were on a lifeless planet for long periods of time with nothing happening, how else would he end up in the brig?)

I think a ship capable of FTL travel with its very own gate would have some very differant progamming than a standard terrestial gate, that and Rivka has already pointed out that they didnt have safety protocols when the goold (I'm siding with Hammond on this one, forget your go'aulds) got vaporized.

This is one thing thats been bothering me for sometime, why is the base gate always over-looking a long hallway (longer than necessary anyway) and the defenses are pointed at the event horizon from the front side, wether they be turrets or soldiers. Wouldnt it make more sense to have the defenses adjacent to the gate? an incoming enemy has no choice but to move forward upon exiting the gate and cannot defend himself from attackers on either side of him. Whenever an enemy came through the gate they always had a chance of atleast injuring the defending soldiers, but would have been easily dropped from the sides.

I enjoy the little things in SGU, the compressed air that gets shot out every time the gate closes is probably a decominate gas to make sure nothing comes back with them. And I dont think the ancients would make such a large ship without it having supplies to be used when they finnally get back to it, there will probably be a galley with all kinds of good stuff waiting for them soon, they've only got so much water and after that little desert trip they have even less.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
By the way for fans of Hey Arnold... Greer is Gerald all grown up!!!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm thinking that the arm in the puddle trick might be damaging to the ship so they might avoid it.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

I think you meant "anyone who was bored enough to watch Hey Arnold" no one can truely be a fan of that show... btw I had a yoohoo a while back and it was disgusting.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
quote:

I think you meant "anyone who was bored enough to watch Hey Arnold" no one can truely be a fan of that show... btw I had a yoohoo a while back and it was disgusting.
Speak for yourself, I liked the show.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Fun link

Watch Dr. Daniel Jackson explain the stargates, hyperspace, the Ancients, and more!

That's a link to the videos that Eli was watching on his trip aboard the USS Hammond.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Cool]

Thanks!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Fun link

Watch Dr. Daniel Jackson explain the stargates, hyperspace, the Ancients, and more!

That's a link to the videos that Eli was watching on his trip aboard the USS Hammond.

THAtS AWESOME!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For any George RR Martin fans: Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis will be playing the role of Khal Drogo in the new HBO "Game of Thrones" series. He's excited, though nervous about both his first nude and sex scenes.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

This was an interesting episode, my guess? The ship is intentionally on a course for the Sun in order to regain power and that the shields work as a sort of solar power array.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
We came up with that idea here, too. (Well, my husband did.) It also could be why they went through the gas giant--collecting elements they need.

So if we can come up with that scenario, why can't the supposedly super smart Rush come up with the same idea? The ship has had to have been getting power somehow for the last million years, even without life support!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
We came up with that idea here, too. (Well, my husband did.) It also could be why they went through the gas giant--collecting elements they need.

So if we can come up with that scenario, why can't the supposedly super smart Rush come up with the same idea? The ship has had to have been getting power somehow for the last million years, even without life support!

2 Cases:

Case 1 We're wrong: Rush probably knows more then us, he knows alot about the ship we don't. Which is why he hasn't mentioned it and why probably someone else will mention it only to be shot down.

Case 2 We're Right: Rush is very very stressed either he or Eli will come up with the idea once they've calmed down and get their heads together we're outsiders and not stressed.

stresssssssssss.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

Everyone knows in marriage any and every good idea is a team effort!
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For any George RR Martin fans: Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis will be playing the role of Khal Drogo in the new HBO "Game of Thrones" series. He's excited, though nervous about both his first nude and sex scenes.

It's a good thing he's smokin' hot, then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
quote:

2 Cases:

Case 1 We're wrong: Rush probably knows more then us, he knows alot about the ship we don't. Which is why he hasn't mentioned it and why probably someone else will mention it only to be shot down.

Case 2 We're Right: Rush is very very stressed either he or Eli will come up with the idea once they've calmed down and get their heads together we're outsiders and not stressed.

stresssssssssss.

Case 3: We're right, and when the lights come back on, Rush says: I thought that this might happen! [insert long explanation of the theory]

I expected that to happen at the end of the last episode!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
If the ship's energy will be recharged by the sun this will be an instance where every fan has thought about it before the resident science guy(s). [Big Grin] I mean, come on, why *wouldn't* the designers include a solar energy collector?! Even our satellites have them.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

no Kat because youll have dozens of panicking people wondering what theyll do now, and Rush in the last scene did look clearly worried, however so we know they havent come up with it yeeeeet but probably will.

However a sun is still very very dangerous so I suspect the tension will come from it being a race against time, can they gather enough power before they get caught in the sun and cant jump to ftl anymore?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah I think Blayne has it. They're flying directly INTO the sun, and the ship might not necessarily know that too much of it is damaged to collect the necessary power before it gets barbecued. There are a lot of unanswered questions here, and yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that there's some sort of solar collector on board, but other Ancient technology is run off of ZPMs or other exotic energy sources. They probably figure it's the same way for them. Frankly I can't believe no one grabbed a Mark III naquadah generator before running through the gate. Screw the Ancient communication device, that's the thing I'm grabbing first.
rivka
Member # 4859

Because that's what you have just SITTING AROUND?!?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You'd be surprised.
Carrie
Member # 394

I've got about five of them. Don't you?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You have what amount to nuclear bombs just sitting around?

*crosses "Carrie's place" off of "to visit" list*

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its been standard operating procedure to bring Nadquadah generators on every SG1 mission, they're carried on the MALPs I'm highly surprised if they didnt bring at least one that SHOULD have been #1 priority.

They WERE stockpiling alot of stuff next to the gate, I dont see how a disarmed generator wouldnt have been there just in case.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Its been standard operating procedure to bring Nadquadah generators on every SG1 mission

I don't think so.

Regardless, this was meant to just be a test. No one was supposed to be going through.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually Dr Rush is supposed to have been going through after if it was determined it was safe with a team.

And once they did get nadquadah generators working early on in SG1 it WAS Standard Operating Procedure to bring a generator with them incase the Stargate didnt have a DHD.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Blayne, the idea was that they'd wait for the SGC to call them back a check in, and if something was wrong, they'd send one through. They don't take one on EVERY mission.

rivka, I don't know, I have to imagine they had one at the base. When they brought Eli with them, and were expecting to go through with Eli's help, you have to imagine they'd have one on the base somewhere ready to go.

rivka
Member # 4859

Somewhere on the base I believe. Easy to grab and ready-at-hand, not so much.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Michael Shanks will be guest starring as Hawkman on an episode of Smallville in January titled "Society."
Corwin
Member # 5705

That was the "D'uh" episode.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well it was still surprising and awesome.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Awesome? Maybe. But how was it surprising?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Simple, we never expected them to actually go into the sun to collect solar material, we simply thought the ship was solar powered in a more conventional way.

Then there's also the possible alternate character interpretation that Dr Rush KNEW what the ship was doing but didn't say, though this point is ambiguous enough.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

His reaction looked pretty genuine to me.

I liked Rush's new personality over the last two episodes. Yeah, his jerkiness came back a little at the end when he refused to socialize with the crew, but he didn't seem psycho.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Caffeine does that to you [Smile] Spoof aesop?
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, do you ever watch any other Science Fiction shows?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
Blayne, do you ever watch any other Science Fiction shows?

And that question is not stupid how? Seriously, think on the question a bit, I'm assuming your not a lurker. There should already be a clear amount of evidence available to answer your question without insulting me by expecting me to answer a question that is obviously beneath me.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Simple, we never expected them to actually go into the sun to collect solar material, we simply thought the ship was solar powered in a more conventional way.

Meh, that might be different from other means of collecting power, but it's not such a major point in the episode that I'd call it surprising.

As for Rush knowing, although I don't believe it based on his reactions, I can easily see how others might think it: we, here, wondered how the science guy could miss the fact that the ship might have solar energy collectors!

Anyway, not to say it wasn't surprising to you. I simply feel that it was a pretty obvious episode, although a good one. [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I recall that I did point out that its probably obviously solar powered, as people who watch enough TV we notice the tropes, what I and by extension we should be looking for is how these patterns are subverted and played with to take a more orthodox plot to something that at least seems fresh.

The ship is solar powered? Obvious for a number of reasons, however the cool scene of it flying and surviving INTO the sun is just plain awesome.

Carrie
Member # 394

I actually really like the idea of Rush knowing more about the ship than he lets anyone else know.

But yeah, this was pretty much a "Duh" episode - and it cemented the fact that I don't really like anyone on the show under the age of 30 (with the possible exception of Greer, but I'm not actually sure how old he's supposed to be).

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

What about Eli? Hes like the definition of us liking someone under 30.
Carrie
Member # 394

I'm entirely indifferent to him, which I consider "not really liking" in that I have no positive feelings for his character.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you guys might be a bit too harsh on the characters for not knowing about the solar energy thing. Remember, we know they'll survive to fight another week. They not only don't know they'll live, they have every reason to expect to die shortly. We already know the ending, all we have to figure out is how it happens.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm not being harsh, I expected it but was pleasantly surprised at how awesomely they pulled it off. As after all nothing is new under the sun.
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:

Actually, we did think they would go into the sun.

I don't see any possible motivation for Rush to keep his theory to himself. The ending with him felt very contrived.

I actually had to look up which woman Scott was with in the pilot when suddenly he was with the senator's daughter. (I actually had thought it was the medic, but turns out there's a third woman.) That relationship really sprang up out of nothing. I remember seeing scenes developing a relationship between Chloe (is that her name?) and Eli, but then suddenly she's bedding down with Scott? What???

I liked the little bit of interaction we saw with Greer in this episode--his proclivities for violence actually had a useful application this time. But I see it more as the writer's deliberately softening his character, trying to make him a little less hate-worthy. But the change isn't based in anything they're sharing with the viewers, so it feels false.

Regarding the ship's power, I think the show's writer's said to themselves, Atlantis existed under the water for thousands of years before the Stargate expedition arrived, suddenly draining the city of its reserve power. In order to stay consistent, we need the SmartGuys on Destiny, like Rush and Eli, to believe the same problem exists there. Then, the writers come up with what must have seemed like a brilliant resolution to them, and they call it a day. But there are two problems:

1. Destiny has been out there, using power for millions of years. Rush knows this. Over millions of years, any on board power supply would have been depleted--no matter how small of an amount is being used at once. Atlantis powered a shield for mere thousands of years--NOT the same thing. There simply has to be a way that the ship is replenishing its own power supply. Rush should know this. Eli should know this. Even Young seemed to know this on some level when he said to Rush that the ship had been out there for millions of years--leaving unspoken the idea that it is drawing power from somewhere. I knew this, so someone in that crowd should have thought of it, too.

2. Atlantis was not built for extended traveling through the stars at a later date. The ancients planned on gating to the Destiny someday and exploring the universe. It is conceivable (essential!) that they would have built the ship with power requirements in mind. Yes, they could bring power supplies with them, but any supplies they bring must be finite, and they would eventually run out. The ship also would have had to power itself unmanned until they get there. Being the SuperGeniuses that they are, it makes sense that they would build the ship to gather elements from space for making fuel. Going into the sun is not the only way to do this, but it is the most spectacular, and probably the most efficient as well.

Here's the dilemma of the last two episodes of SGU with the Atlantis crew:

Power is quickly becoming depleted. Rodney tells everyone to stop turning on systems and doing stuff. Power suddenly shuts off. Rodney has an annoyed tirade.

Shepherd points out that Destiny has been flying for millions of years. Rodney says, yes, the ship has been out here for millions of years so it must be powering itself somehow, but the problem is that it could be powering itself in any number of ways--it could, for instance, take years to collect enough material for fuel, which would be fine for an unmanned vessel--but life support would be depleted long before that happens, meaning we'll all die. Rodney does his typical freakout as he furiously tries to access the ship's systems in time.

Weir and Shepherd discuss the possibility of using the shuttle to get to a nearby planet. They realize that only a few people can fit on the shuttle, so they bicker about who should go and who should stay. But they also know from their conversation with Rodney that the ship may get power before life support becomes an issue. They may need a lottery for spaces on the shuttle, but several people want to take their chances on the ship.

Rodney announces that the Destiny is about to enter a gas giant. Afterwards, he hopefully looks at the ship's systems, hoping that the ship gathered necessary elements for fuel to power up. He is disappointed that it did not. He notices that the ship is now on a collision course with a star. Oh no! Could the Destiny be damaged in some way? Did our arrival simply use too much power too fast, so the Destiny doesn't have enough to replenish its power supply? Could this ship actually be designed to enter a star?? That would simply be too amazing to depend on.

Rodney frantically tells Weir--WE did something! Normally, the ship can replenish itself, but we must have used too much of the power reserves, and now Destiny doesn't have enough power to right its course. There's a 60% chance that we're going to die. A 40% chance the ship is designed to enter stars--but because of "this reason" and "that reason," probably not!

So, they put a few people on the shuttle and have it watch from a safe distance. If the ship is destroyed, they are to try to find a habitable planet. If the ship survives, they will be right there to dock with it.

The ship survives. Everyone celebrates. They move on to something else.

Imagine that you have a best friend. This friend is awesome. He likes sci-fi and fantasy. He's funny, super smart, and you just love being around him. You've grown up together, going to the same schools. Around 7th grade, his parents adopt a girl, and she's almost as awesome as your friend. The three of you hang out your freshman year of high school, and it's great! You all may be considered a little strange, and while the popular crowd thinks you're all "alright," they really don't pay any attention to you.

Then, your friends have to move away. You're devastated, but they tell you that their cousin is moving to town. They say, she's a lot like us, we think you'll like her--she's just a bit younger, that's all. So, you eagerly wait for her to arrive. Oh, she looks like your friends. She may even be as smart as your friends (if she'd ever show it). She even tries to be friends with you, but only as an aside. She spends most of her time following around the popular crowd, imitating the things that they do, laughing at their jokes, and desperately trying to fit in. You find this quite a bit tiring, but you still continue to be friends with her, not close friends, but friends, mostly because you want to be around when her cousins visit. But you can only stand to be around her in small doses. She's just way to dramatic and hyper about everything.

That's how I see SGU. It's not as fun and not as smart, but I'll keep on watching it, out of loyalty to the original shows, and just in case SG1 and SGA characters guest star. But also because I do enjoy popular shows like Lost--they're good for what they are. But they are, in no way, as awesome as SG1 and SGA. For me, anyway.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone (maybe here) did mention it, but the problem with the Ancient communication stones is that they could just grab McKay and Carter for a few weeks and get everything up to speed.

With that in mind, seeing them fumble around with Rush and Eli, or not knowing whether to trust Rush with the ships systems just seems so unnecessary.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Which brings up a good point. Would Rush knowingly let the shuttle take all of the supplies, especially the communication stones on the off chance that the shuttle wouldn't make it back to the Destiny? I think not.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For any George RR Martin fans: Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis will be playing the role of Khal Drogo in the new HBO "Game of Thrones" series.

I've got to say, this seems like the perfect casting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Kat the whole point of the episode is actually porbably to establish ambigouity with Rush's character, the scenario makes alot more sense if we assume that yes Rush did know or felt it was highly likely that the ship IS solar powered and didnt tell anyone.

And why? Simple, at worst it is because he wants more people who are non essential to leave so he can be king of the mountain to at best him not being 100% sure and let some people and some supplies leave so they have a chance to live and once it was certain the destiny was going to be alright called them back.

That pretty much solves any problem of yours with the episode.

As for not getting Rodney or Carter Rush is just as qualified as they are for the current situation and in fact Rush was one of the people who were supposed to be aboard the destiny, Sam is busy commanding the Hammond on active duty while McKay is busy in Atlantis they can't just pull them from either for the Destiny willy nilly, especially for problems that can't be solved simply by being smart, the problem with the air was mechanical, the problem with the shuttle doors also mechanical, the problem with the sun is that the consols to access the main systems were turned off by the destiny neither rodney or carter could help then so why bother?

Rush is more then qualified enough.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.