FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 2)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was actively avoiding that comparison. Anyway, that happened offscreen. No huge fireballs.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS...yadda yadda yadda

I wouldn't have made it if you hadn't brought up MASH. You know no matter how it would have left, there would have been a cheesy heartfelt goodbye scene. I think they are virtually inescapable when a character leaves a show, well, unless he's disliked, like Frank. But when Radar and Blake left, it was emotionally, and in the last episode, when EVERYONE left, it was an emotionalsplosion.

I didn't mind that they tried so hard to make it look like it was a day off, but I too was annoyed by the chronological skipping. They could have let the incident play out like a normal day and just skipped to the different story lines, like they would have done anyway.

Watching Ronon play golf was hilarious.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, the whole golf bit was great.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm curious as to which season is KQ's favorite. She's the only person on Hatrack I can think of that might be as rabid a fan as I.

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
And I think quid is probably as rabid a fan as we are. [Smile]

Fie! Fie on both of you!

Lyrhawn, what? I don't even count as a passing remote thought?

ketchupqueen, probably? Probably? Probably?????

quote:
Y'know, you know that you are far too rabid a fan of Stargate when your new niece is named Morgan Lynnea, and your first thought is "Wow, they named her after two Stargate characters!"
When I hear Lynnea, my first and only thought is "Killer of Worlds". What, her name means something else?

I've been avoiding this thread - and other Stargate threads - because we don't have the latest seasons. They're not accessible here, so we have no way of watching them. And it has me immensely sad. Sad. Mad. Bad sad. Mad. Not glad. *twitch*

Yeah.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The probably was "irony", quid. Look it up. [Razz]

And did you check out the site linked on the Scrubs site? 'Cause I saw some pretty recent episodes on there.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I hear Lynnea, my first and only thought is "Killer of Worlds". What, her name means something else?
Ditto. I mean, it sounded vaguely Swiss (turns out it is, kind of) but my first thought was "Linea, Killer of Worlds."

I will not be sharing this information with my in-laws. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
A thousand apologies! From now on your name will be first in my thoughts whenever a discussion of rabid Stargate fans arises.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better!

Apologies accepted on one condition. [Razz] Send me all the seasons I don't have... [Big Grin]

kq, yeah, my irony meter is broken today. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

But I just finally got my collection back up to date! Until March anyway.

What seasons are you missing?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

We're missing season 8 and after and all of Atlantis.

Think you can manage it? [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
A thousand apologies! From now on your name will be first in my thoughts whenever a discussion of rabid Stargate fans arises.
HEY!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We got to the end of season six the other night and discovered that my brother in Utah has the rest of my SG1 discs. :pirate:

Oh well, Beverly and I are having fun watching A&E's Horatio Hornblower instead.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
quote:
HEY!
Ahh! I'm trapped between rabid Stargate fans!! What do I do?!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Say you love Jonas and hate Daniel.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Are you trying to get him killed? (I actually like Jonas. It's the hating Daniel part.)

And Lyr, I think you're just going to have to make the three of us your trio of rabidness.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Say you love Jonas and hate Daniel.
Well THEN my problem is deciding who to bequeath my DVDs to, which puts me in the same trouble spot!

KQ -

Agreed [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Are you trying to get him killed?
*innocent whistle*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Well THEN my problem is deciding who to bequeath my DVDs to, which puts me in the same trouble spot!

That's easy. quid and rivka both already have some (I think rivka does, anyway), and I have none. Plus quid can't get DVDs in Sri Lanka anyway (see her posts elsewhere about them being "confiscated" on the way in), and Emma loves Stargate and is much cuter than rivka. And we'd even share with rivka if she wanted us to. So I'm the obvious choice. [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Can't quid get all her (bootlegged) DVDs for like $1.00 each?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, but only the ones that are available there.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I ordered Season 2 tonight. I believed the advice that things picked up in Season 4, but I had to resolve Season 1's cliffhanger. And see Thor and the Tokra debut.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rivka has all the Stargate DVDs that have been released in the US, and has SGA S2 on advance order (and has since Amazon started taking them).

Rivka also likes Jonas, and would have been perfectly happy to have him stick around as a continuing character -- as long as we still got Daniel back. Rivka's feelings for Daniel as best described as Barista-like. [Wink]

Rivka also has no idea why she is speaking in the third person, although it could be a result of too much Lois&Clark fanfic. It's kinda fun though. She may continue indefinitely.

. . . nah. I'm done. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

$2 each, and yeah, only what's available. Stargate seasons 8 and beyond being on the Not Available Yet list, along with Atlantis season 2+.
rivka
Member # 4859

Sunday SPOILERS again. This Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! [/announcer]

Upon a second viewing, I withdraw some of my objections. It flowed much better and more organically than my first impression. And knowing where it was going meant I was not distracted by red herrings (like being sure Mike was a Wraith spy who caused the explosion and was making sure Weir was out of the way).

I'm still not happy about the last few minutes, but I no longer hate the episode as a whole. And I really, really liked the follow-ups from Duet and M&MM. I hope we see more of Katie -- I like her. And did you catch that now Rodney insults underlings by comparing them to Maddie instead of to Jeanie? [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I DID catch that. I thought it was a nice change.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah. Not to mention hysterical.

I hope they bring back Jeanie. I really liked her. M&MM is by far my favorite SGA ep to date.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mine too.
rivka
Member # 4859

I keep forgetting to burn a CD so my dad can see it (well, at least the first 3 minutes).
rivka
Member # 4859

New SGA: 7 out of 10. Maybe an 8.

New SG-1: 9.5 out of 10.

And yet they're cancelling which one? [Mad]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pleasantly surprised by the high quality of both shows this season. I think they both REALLY kicked it up a notch.

And you still might get your SG1 fix a couple times a year if the movie franchise survives.

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, and Amanda (who had almost all the screen time in this episode, and was a big part of why it was so good) will be on Atlantis, so all is not lost. [Smile]

Atlantis just keeps recycling the same plot. "The Ancients abandoned this project, but we're gonna make it work!" [Roll Eyes] You'd think that blowing up 5/6 of a solar system back in season 2 would have quashed that tendency.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it wasn't their star system.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They're only human, and members of the Stargate at that. They NEVER learn their lesson.

Plus it's RODNEY. I'm surprised his ego even FITS through the gate.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT!

No, really!

Well, okay, it's not that huge, but I just caught "The Road Not Taken" and thought the end was super-cute. The episode overall was quite good, though I really did want to see Vala in jail. [Smile]

END SPOILERS.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's actually one of the things I took off the .5 of a point for. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

WOOHOO! The Shroud gets a solid 10! [Big Grin]

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

Yay! Daniel's back. And even bigger YAY! Jack! [Big Grin] The Jack and Daniel scenes were AWESOME. (There was almost no Sam-Jack interaction, and what there was was completely platonic, with no underlying unresolved angst at all. Works for me. [Wink] ) The Teal'c's third degree bit was great. Vala sitting on Daniel's lap was hysterical and sorta sweet.

And Daniel was just all-around spectacular. Michael Shanks is such a great actor, with incredible layers to his performance, depth, nuance . . . ! Superb.

As for the Ori, I don't believe they're entirely dead. That was way too easy. Moreover, I'm afraid of a Tinkerbell affect -- their followers' belief will revive them. Adria's probably not dead either. Just really, really ticked. [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where did you see it at?
rivka
Member # 4859

*twirls mustache*
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on everything about "The Shroud." [Big Grin] That's the sort of Stargate I've been missing.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

::shakes fist threateningly at rivka::
rivka
Member # 4859

Meh. Vengeance gets a 6. [Razz]

SPOILERS DEAD AHEAD!!!!

And it would have been a 4, but I like Trip. I mean, Michael. [Wink] Connor Trineer, anyway. Although not as much in this episode -- he was just banging away at the one note, with little of the depth he showed in previous episodes.

And I'm with Shepherd. I hate those bugs, and freakin' don't want to SEE the dreadful little CG-created monstrosities, or their larger cousins. And they had entirely too much screen time. In fact, the whole episode played like a horror movie, and I hate those.

One redeeming feature: Ronon was great. He's right about the retrovirus (mostly, anyway), and his response to Shepherd's plan was awesome.

One more episode left of season three. Think First Strike will manage to be any good? [Razz]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was hoping the Apollo would be a new type of ship, rather than another Daedelus-class ship. I mean, where're the phasers?
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
The SGA finale was...interesting. It felt more like a prequel for season 4 than an actual episode. Not a whole lot of fun.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ATLANTIS SEASON 3 FINALE!!!
So, who's taking over for Weir? I hope it's not Sheppard.

I kinda wish Atlantis had a broken hyperdrive but plenty of power. Stargate Atlantis: Lost in Space would be interesting, for a few episodes at least.
END MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ATLANTIS SEASON 3 FINALE

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The SGA finale was...interesting. It felt more like a prequel for season 4 than an actual episode. Not a whole lot of fun.
Finales in the Stargate franchises are kind of hit-or-miss, IMO. They either rock, or do just what you described.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Spoilerific spoilers for Atlanis and SG1
I liked it. Fancy effects, typical race against time with a plan that should have worked but didn't quite and then there's another plan, and then the last ditch effort that works! And then falls short. It's the Stargate episode recipe basically, especially for season finales. But we keep coming back for more!

And I wanted to make a special note that while it is a bit odd to see Jewel Staite in an uniform on Atlantis, I already love her character.

Shepard won't take over for Weir, the IOA would never go for it, there needs to as least be the illusion of civilian control.

But this, well, it's a new development, and they were right when they said that it opens up a whole new bag of tricks and possibilities for the show, but it also sort of depends on how they resolve it. Quite frankly, why they didn't just lift off from the planet and fly right to earth as soon as they got the three ZPMs to begin with boggles the mind. The Wraith can't get to them, they can still fight them with ships, and from their bases there, it makes little sense to stay in constant danger.

Anywho, it'll obviously be resolved in the first episode of next season, but I'm really curious to see what happens next. I thought something like this might happen, the bit about the stardrive being fixed seemed a little convenient, but who am I to argue.

As for last week's episode of SG1, "Shroud", first off, I don't like Teal'c anymore. He rocked for so long, but for the last couple seasons he's been like a wooden board. He has two modes: Mode 1: Foil for a joke. Mode 2: Insanely melodramatic deep throated grumble voice. I just don't care about him anymore. Some of his Jaffa struggle stuff was cool TEN SEASONS AGO, but I'm a little more picky in Season 11, and a few seasons of stagnant character development and what not later, he could be killed off without me really being that sad about it. It's near the end now, and I want him to make it to the end, but him going back to the Jaffa after we defeat the Ori wouldn't bother me in the least.

Good episode for plot advancement. I don't think we've necessarily seen the last of Adria either. For all we know, the Ori killer weapon has absolutely no effect at all on the physical world, which means her, and her ship, are perfectly fine, but the Ori themselves are dead.

Either way, there's like seven of those ships flying willy nilly around the galaxy now. Where the hell are the Asgard in all this? Their replicator threat is gone. Where are the Nox? Surely their cloaking, dead reviving thing could come in handy. Where are the Ferlings? There's a lot of questions I want answered before the next few episodes come up. Somethings gotta give though if they can deal with basically twice the threat they had previously, even if the Ori are dead. Their followers are still the biggest threat to date.
End spoilers for Atlantis Finale and SG1 "Shroud."

Spoilers for Atlantis Season Four ahead:
The episode tiles for the first few episodes of the next season have been released, and are as follows:
4x01: "Adrift"
4x02: "Lifeline"
4x03: "Reunion"

Unsure of the exact order of the next episodes, but their titles are "Doppelganger," "The Seer," and "Travelers" which has something major to do with Shepard.
End Atlantis Season Four spoilers. We know return you to your regularly scheduled spoiler programming. [Smile]

[ February 07, 2007, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Where the hell are the Asgard in all this? Their replicator threat is gone. Where are the Nox? Surely their cloaking, dead reviving thing could come in handy. Where are the Ferlings?
An Asgard ship was one of the ones completely squashed in the initial Ori invasion, neh? The Nox have noninterference directives that make the Ancients look like cuddly yentas, and I think it's clear that the Furlings have been dead (or something -- maybe they all ascended too) for a very long time. Episode 200 notwithstanding. [Wink]

Sunday is growing on me. Listening to various (non-bagpipe) versions of Dark Island is helping with that. [Wink] The original title of the piece (spoilers, kinda) is pretty cool too.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We never actually saw it get squashed, personally I think they ran away. Regardless, they have tons of super advanced ships, with weapons much stronger than anything we have, and shields MUCH stronger than what those Jaffa ships have.

Nox shmocks. They need to get over themselves.

And we still don't exactly know what happened to the Furlings, but I refuse to believe they are all just dead, or at the very least, that something they might have left behind has part to play in the future of one of the Stargate series'.

And where are the friggin tok'ra? Where's the tok'ori? It just seems like a whole lot of our traditional allies, or at least the framework for the last ten years of SG exploration doesn't matter a whole lot anymore. The Asgard are our go to guys when we get into trouble. Other than having an Asgard on our battleships, and having a single, token Asgard ship at the battle of the supergate, I haven't seen a whole lot from them. And after all we did for them, frankly, I think we're owed a bit.

rivka
Member # 4859

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!
For SGA Season Finale First Strike AND for SG-1 The Bounty

I was pleasantly surprised by SGA, especially given some of the spoilers (here and elsewhere). I thought the pacing was good, the plot made sense (nice change, that), and the follow-up on previous episodes was excellent. Yes, can we please acknowledge that Carson is dead, three episodes later? And finally, the whole drilling platform makes sense. The full-circle of submerging the city was cool, although it would have been better without the characters banging us over the head with it.

Jewel was pretty good. Michael Beach was quite good (much more likable than as Al Boulet, neh? [Wink] ) -- is he supposed to be a recurring next season?

The Lost In Space bit was far more amusing than I think it was meant to be. (We're lost in the middle of nowhere, far from any planets or stars or stargates and we have only 24 hours of power! Oh noes [Angst] ! [Laugh] )

Some definite flaws, but a solid season ender, IMO -- call it an 8.5.

The Bounty, OTOH, was another excellent, nay, almost-perfect SG-1 episode. Kansas!!! [ROFL] Well, naturally. [Wink] Loved Cam's parents. Vala was great. And the various bounty hunters were awesome . . . even if we did have to use a Mack truck plot device to get Daniel away from the sexy one! [Big Grin] And while I did see both "surprise!"s coming with the holoprojector, it was well done anyway.

Man, am I going to miss this show!!! [Cry]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Spoiler to answer riv's question:
Yes, Michael Beach will be a recurring character next season, but I'd expect to see him as much as, or much less than, Colonel Caldwell's character. Frankly, I like Caldwell more, he's just as much of a prick as Colonel Ellis is, but at the same time you can feel that maybe he and Weir really do respect and maybe even like each other on some level. They've worked together long enough to trust that the other isn't incompetent. Ellis just marches in, just got his command, and procedes to act like he's in charge when Weir has been there for three years. It's the same mistake Colonel...Sumner(?) made when he came in during the defense of Atlantis last season, and it got HIM killed.

Still, I like Michael Beach, and his character will be good, and they will use it fairly often. They can rotate amongst the three captains now. Personally I was sad to see the Russian colonel go when the Korolev was destroyed, but of the ships, his was the more expendable, plotwise and characterwise. The colonel on the Odyssey is the only one who doesn't act like a smug, arrogant jerk all the time (though he exudes a certain smugness even then. Must be a prerequisite for commanding a ship in America's Space Forces [Smile] .

rivka
Member # 4859

SPOILERS!

Yeah, Colonel Chekhov was a favorite of mine for a long time. And I really, really liked Emerson . . . but he's dead. Lucien Alliance shot him, neh? And Caldwell gets under my skin.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.