FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 6)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
bu bu bu bu...... *cries* I keep rewatching that scene, the Asgard dying is probly one of the most tragic experiances yet [Frown] the episode in all ways possible is awesome, and I don think we could have a better season finale.

Any news on the next spinoff? Like maybe its name?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN "SUNDAY"

Thursday in Vancouver there will be a peaceful protest, including a pipe band to bring attention to the travesty of Paul McGillion's character Caron Beckett being killed off Stargate Atlantis.

No idea how big it will be, but if anyone wants more information, though I don't think any of you live in Vancouver, I can give you more details.

END "SUNDAY" SPOILERS

A lot of the chatter I'm seing about the future of Atlantis seems to be to get away from the ships that were used apparently too much in SG1. The producers and directors don't so much like the ships or beaming technology, and while they won't disappear entirely, they want them downplayed, so we'll see less of them this year.

But a few quick things for those who like the ships, and who like the Asgard weapons on Odyssey:

quote:
Thor94 writes: “ 1)You say that in first movie, SG1 will go in ori's galaxy. Will we see space-battle with earth ship(oddyssey,F302) and ori mothership and especially ori-hunter?
2)Will we see the asgard weapons acquired in "Unending" in SGA season4 to fight the wraith. 3) Will we find real ally with advanced technology (…) beause there are ever 3 season and all people with advanced science was enemy(assurans,wraith,olesian) or destructed(ancient,people of "the ark")?”

Answers: 1) Now that you mention it, you may see a space battle or two. 2) Wait and see. 3) Yup. Check out Travelers.

Those answers are from Joseph Mallozzi, executive producer and writer for much of SG1 and SGA. He goes on to say that it is very, very likely that we'll see some more Satedans (where Ronon Dex is from).

Also, for those interested in the cello music in "Unending," it was apparently written by Brad Wright, lead producer for SG1, sometimes writer for both shows, and guy in charge of the SG1 movies and creating the third series.

"Travelers" referenced above, is the episode I mentioned before that is about a ship where people live from generation to generation, basically space nomads who capture Sheppard looking for someone to activate Ancient tech and drive their ship. I guess they become friends at the end. Only took four seasons to find some real good guys. SG1 had already I think found the Tok'ra, the Asgard, the Nox and the Tollan I think.

Anyway, there's your information blurb for the day. This'll be the last time I bother with spoiler warnings btw, I know it was mentioned on here earlier, but I think it's obvious by now that this thread is rife with spoilers, and it just seems silly now to warn every time. Expect spoilers, or material that refers to them.

Edited for Blayne's sake: If you read back a couple posts, I mention the third spinoff. There's no real news yet on it, especially not a name. The creators of the show are working on the basic concepts and ideas for the show right now, and after the main shoots are over for the Stargate SG1 movies, they will begin shooting the spinoff, which we'll probably see aired in 2008, probably during the summer like it used to be. I expect to start hearing some major rumors on casting, production and plot starting in May and June.

The biggest rumors I've heard are that Michael Shanks and Claudia Black (Daniel and Vala) were approached as being the lead characters in the show, which frankly, I would like. Vala was played heavy in Season 10 for the same reason that Mitchell was played heavy in 9, because it's her first season with the show, and for her, the only season she was going to be in, which makes more sense to explore her background.

Shanks has denied these rumors. We do know for a fact that it will be a modern show, which means it won't be set in the past or future, but rather concurrently with Atlantis (I expect we'll hear word from MGM and Sci-Fi about whether or not Season 5 of Atlantis will be a reality or a possibility this summer, based on ratings from 3), and will not be like Atlantis, in that it won't be a new network of gates in a faroff galaxy. Other than that we don't know much about it, as there isn't much to know, they haven't had a ton of time to work on it. I remember reading something about a discovery that will be made that will open up the stargate network for more discoveries, but they were very vague about it.

[ March 20, 2007, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, for those interested in the cello music in "Unending," it was apparently written by Brad Wright, lead producer for SG1, sometimes writer for both shows, and guy in charge of the SG1 movies and creating the third series.

Ah!!! I knew I had seen a shot of SOMEONE on SG playing a cello, and now I remember it was him. Thanks!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
I live in vancouver. In fact, I am friends with a cameraman on SG1. Not much of a fan though so I never think to ask him juicy questions.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What is he going to do now that SG1 is cancelled? Work on the movies or go over to Atlantis? Or work on the new series?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
The movies from what I understand.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay guys, TONS of news for you all.

Let's start with SG1 Movie News:

Amanda Tapping has written in her blog that she's filmed her first episode of Atlantis and is loving it. She also reports that as of Thursday she is in the Arctic shooting for Continuum. The temperature there Wednesday was -83 with the wind chill, and they are on constant polar bear and frost bite alert. Our actors seem to be working hard for us [Smile] Filming on Ark of Truth is already complete.

The Save Carson Beckett campaign in Vancouver apparently garnered a LOT of press. Jason Mamoa, Rachel Luttrel and David Hewlett (Ronon, Teyla and Rodney) all came out to support the effort and shake hands with the hundred plus fans that showed up in the pouring rain to support it. Martin Gero, producer of the show came out to interview fans for a DVD featurette, and the every noisy Joseph Mallozzi came out too. He promise organizers that if they manage to get the press to a major US news outlet, such as Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood, that he would write Carson back into two episodes on the back half of Season Four. The even was covered thoroughly by Vancouver media, as well as the CBC and other major Canadian news outlets. I'd be surprised if it worked, but I have to give a lot of credit to the fans for trying, the actors for supporting, and Atlantis production staff for actually offering to bend to their efforts. It's a great collaboration.

The 10th annual Stargate Convention circuit started this weekend in Vancouver. A number of past and present actors were presnt to talk about the show and thensome. If you can't make it to Vancouver, there are other SG events planned throughout the summer and fall in Chicago, Illinois (August 24-26), Secaucus, New Jersey (November 2-4), and Burbank, California (November 16-18). Michael Shanks will be headlining every show, and a smattering of other actors and staff will be at each event. If you want more info (I know KQ at least is in SoCal) I can direct you where to go as it becomes available.

Let's see, that leaves a little bit of SG: Atlantis news. The role of Larrin, the female leader of the space nomads in "Travelers" (a fourth season episode) has yet to be cast, but Gina Torres of Firefly is under consideration for the role. She's pregnant, and with a nice movie career on the rise, she may not be available, but her name is being tossed about. She would be, I believe, the fourth Firefly character after Adam Baldwin, Morena Baccarin and Jewel Staite to have a role on the show. Here is some production art, I think from "Travelers." That ship might be the ones the space nomads are supposed to be using. Supposedly during this season we may see Mrs. Miller (Kate Hewlett) again, and Major Lorne is supposed to get a much meatier role than he has in the past.

And finally, I saved perhaps the best for last, I have some news on the third SG series. The news is cryptic but informative. The working title of the show is Stargate Universe, and currently exists as a one page summary of major characters and plot. It was originally convceived (much like Atlantis was) of as a stand alone movie, but instead they gave it some legs and are going to make it into a show. Rather than summarize the great news, I'll give you the bulk of the story.

quote:
The new series has been conceived to be "a completely separate, third entity," Cooper said in an interview -- "much more so than Atlantis was. Atlantis was much more of a spin-off seires of SG-1 and was sort of born out of SG-1."

"We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very much something that stands alone?'

"I'm not a big fan of prequels," he said. "I don't think that really works, and I don't really understand people who do think that works. One of the things that we love about Stargate is that is us -- it's our military, it's our scientists, it's our people -- and we're going out into the galaxy and the universe to discover all the wonders that are out there, and dealing with our own limitations versus things that are far more advanced than us.

"That's identifiable. It's what we deal with every day, in terms of medicine and science and astrophysics. We're just babies in all that. And we would always want to maintain that in anything that is Stargate-related."

In spite of being quite distinct in identity from SG-1 and Atlantis, the new series will be unmistakably Stargate. "It certainly plays into the mythology that has been pre-established," Cooper said. "But it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series."

They expect to seriously get into work on it when the movies are finished with in June. If shooting were to start in August or September on it, we could expect a premiere I think by the following June '08. From what they said at first, I was worried that Stargate Universe would take place somewhere other than SG Command, something akin to making the next Star Trek show about the Klingons, but they also said it will be rooted in what we know, and then listed the SGC and Earth as something we know, so I think that precludes it being a ship based show.

I eagerly await more information. I think it won't be a lost in space type thing like Atlantis is, but at the same time it won't be just another team based thing like SG1 was. We don't have much to go on yet, but it's still exciting to know that it will take place in the same era and with familiar sights and sounds. Thankfully it will be neither a prequel or sequel series, but will take place concurrently.

Edit to add: Michael Shanks will be playing the role of Michael Bishop in an upcoming arc on "24." I know I mentioned it before, but now I have the character name.

[ March 25, 2007, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am seeing a Stargate get-together with at least us and Rivka (do we have other Stargate fans in L.A.? Or maybe San Diego?) Anyone in? [Big Grin]

The third series stuff is intriguing, to say the least.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I would love to get to the Sunday of the Burbank con. (And Lyr, I have been in SoCal considerably longer than kq!!!) I see no obvious conflicts on my calendar, but it's hard to predict this far out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

More info on the Burbank convention: It will be headlined by Michael Shanks, and at the very least, guest star Cliff Simon (Baal) will be there as well. No word yet on who else, if anyone, will be there. You have to buy tickets beforehand, I don't know yet how much they are. All the stars will answer questions during their on stage time, and will be available to sign autographs. It will be held at the Burbank Airport Marriot Hotel.

Let me know for sure ahead of time if you go KQ, I'll buy one of those SG1 patches ahead of time while they are on sale and send it to you to get autographed!

Apparently there's also a LOTR Convention in 2008 in Burbank. That's far enough in advance and depending on what is there, might be cool enough for me to fly out for a weekend maybe if I could get a good ticket deal and a couch to crash on.

Anyway, I apparently posted too soon with my update on the third season because my sources have already turned up more news!

The third series will deal with the Ninth Chevron. Now you may be asking "what ninth chevron?" Which is exactly what I asked too. We saw the eighth chevron introduced in the Fifth Race, briefly, and then again when Atlantis was found to be in the Pegasus. And frankly, I never actually looked at the gate while these things are going on, but, there ARE nine chevrons on the gate, the bottom two are just usually embedded in rock or whatever platform is holding the gate up. You can tell if you look here and here and much more clearly in this diagram.

Now I never even knew that a chevron officially lit up on the gate itself whenever the eigth chevron was used, either it was never visible, or I never looked, but this ninth chevron will play a major role in the third series. This information was revealed on the first day of the convention in Vancouver in response to a fan question. Apparently there's been fan speculation on what the ninth chevron does for years now, and why the Ancients would build it with no real purpose. I guess I don't read enough SG forums. The first and most obvious calculation is that it will be a time coordinate, so people can literally travel anywhere in space and time in the Gate Network. I don't know how I'd feel about a show based on time travel. But they also confirmed that the show is set for an early 2008 release. The movies are the only thing holding it up, and once those are done they will turn all focus to the new show.

MGM is currently putting financing together for the show, and it is considered to be in "very active development" which makes it look like a series reality, so long as Sci-Fi actually orders the episodes.

quote:
Whatever form the series takes, viewers can definitely expect the same familiar from that has made the franchise a 10-year-old success. "There will be a Stargate, and a team on adventures," Cooper said. "I can tell you what it won't be, which is it really won't be as much of a spin-off of SG-1 as Atlantis was. And it won't be a spin-off of Atlantis. It's going to be a third arm of the franchise that will really stand alone and I think be an entirely new flavor from what we've done before."

Just what the Stargate's ninth chevron does and how it might relate to working title Stargate Universe (story) fans can only speculate.

So that settles some of it then, it will be based around a stargate and a team, in the same flavor of the other shows, but will deal probably with none of their enemies, characters, or basis. I like this, and the ninth chevron is a brilliant way to utilize what before was an inert plot device and make it the basis for a new show. Now I hope they don't muck it up by making it goofy.

riv - Sorry, I guess I must like KQ more. Can ya blame me? [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel
I was there for a seminar just the other week.

Parking is expensive. [Razz]

quote:
riv - Sorry, I guess I must like KQ more.
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

[Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, I guess I must like KQ more. Can ya blame me?
My husband can... [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Little more news, but nothing big.

First of all, Ben Browder let his hair grow long into what I'd call the Tom Cruise hair cut.

Joe Mallozzi has said that it's possible, maybe even likely that SG1 and Atlantis characters could guest star on the new third show.

Atlantis is supposed to be much, much darker this season. Specifically, several characters are going over to the "dark side," whatever that means. We're going to have at least one Ronon centered episode where we learn more about his history, and more about Sheppard's history as well. Mallozzi also made a reference, when someone asked about having a pet on Atlantis as like a show mascot, to maybe having a Furling. Foreshadowing or joking? Impossible to know. There's also plans to try and get Goran Visnjic (Dr. Kovatch on er) for an episode of Atlantis this season. They tried to get him for SG1 but schedules never matched up right.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Atlantis is supposed to be much, much darker this season.
OY! Dark seems to mean ooky gooey oozy stuff, and I'm incredibly tired of that. [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Define "ooky gooey oozy stuff."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
several characters are going over to the "dark side," whatever that means.
Force choking?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Juding from the abilities of Lanteans, that's not necessarily out of the question, but I think they mean it in a more figurative sense. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Define "ooky gooey oozy stuff."

Dripping ooze. Things bursting out of walls. Anything reminiscent of Alien, Aliens, et al.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think that's the direction they're hinting at. I think we're going to see a lot more questionable decisions made by the Atlantis crew, and a lot of borderline grey area choices made.
rivka
Member # 4859

*waits patiently*

Are we there yet?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, just a little news tidbit.

It's been confirmed that Colonel Carter (a full bird colonel now, she's getting a promotion) will be in charge of Atlantis for sure. She'll be replacing Weir, though Weir will still be around here and there. Producer Robert Cooper more or less told fans of Tori Higginson to get over it, it's a done deal, and it's a change that had to be made. Frankly, I've been over Weir since the second season. I liked some of her interactions with Sheppard, and I liked the run ins she had with the military leadership, but I think her character has plateaued, and I'm glad to see a familiar face as well as a change of pace. It'll be a new dynamic for Carter.

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, agreed. I liked Weir, but it was time for a change. And I have wanted to see Carter run things for a long time. [Big Grin]

Hey, does this mean that they can get Weir and that yummy scientist guy together?

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! I love Carter! I was mad that Mitchell got command of SG-1 instead of her. Now she gets to run a whole city! And they'll pretty much have to make her a regular on Atlantis if she's running the place.

Maybe they'll put Daniel on Atlantis, too. Goodness knows with all the Ancient stuff around, it makes a whole lot of sense for him to be there. I suppose it might be fun to contrive a reason for Jack and Teal'c to be there, too, but I guess it wouldn't be fair to turn Atlantis completely into SG-1.

Go Carter!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I have a feeling you won't be seeing much of Weir. They still haven't scheduled or cast the back half of the season yet (not entirely anyway), and as of this moment in time, she is only contracted for four episodes, and at least one of those has to be the Season 4 opener. Tapping's episode number is fixed already, and you'll be seeing plenty of her, something like every other episode on average.

There are currently no plans to bring Daniel to Atlantis, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him there at some point, or to see him in the new SG series, despite it not being a "spin-off."

Teal'c it has been confirmed will be in a single episode next season, and Tapping will be in the same episode. I know of no confirmed plans to get Jack into any Atlantis eps this season, but I believe he will be in one of the SG1 movies this fall. The second one I think, though I would have rather him be in the first.

I just checked some of my sources, and many of you may be pleased to know that the "Save Carson Beckett" Campaign has garnered results. Paul McGillion has signed on for a two episode story arc in the back half of Season 4, with a possible third episode in the works. It won't be a dream sequence or hologram, it will actually be him. Carson is back! (at least temporarily).

Michael Shanks' role on "24" has apparently been trimmed from four episodes to two, possibly three at best due to editing and time contraints. Maybe you'll see him in the DVDs next year if you're a watcher of the show.

Little bit more casting news, someone from "LOST" will be on Atlantis in Season 4, but we don't know who yet.

There will almost definately be some follow up to "Common Ground" and "McKay and Mrs. Miller." I'm not sure whether or not that means Kate Hewlett will be coming back, as the producers might have meant the ZPM energy creation storyline is what will be tied up, but I'd like to see her return for sure. Sadly, with the mention of "Common Ground" I think that means we're going to get at least one more Genii story, and I can't tell you how utterly sick of those I am. Get over it! Or at least bring Colm Meany back! If I'm going to be forced to watch the deadest plot device in the series, I should at least get to watch it with Chief O'Brien.

As a teaser though, the ninth episode of the season is called "Miller's Crossing." Might that be a reference to Mrs. Miller? Don't know yet, but I'll try to find out.

That's all for now.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It won't be a dream sequence or hologram, it will actually be him. Carson is back! (at least temporarily).
There isn't going to be a shower involved, is there?

quote:
I think that means we're going to get at least one more Genii story, and I can't tell you how utterly sick of those I am. Get over it! Or at least bring Colm Meany back! If I'm going to be forced to watch the deadest plot device in the series, I should at least get to watch it with Chief O'Brien.
Hear, hear!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*does a little dance*

Happy newses.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping that the follow-up to Common Ground will be about the Wraith part of the storyline. I found it fascinating, and I think that left a lot more loose ends than the Genii half of the story. I would love to see more about the Wraith that Sheppard met. I do not wish to see more of the Genii. Um, there was a Genii episode in the second half of the third season, which hasn't exactly aired yet in the U.S. Any chance that's the follow-up, or are we maybe getting another nifty look at the Wraith in season four?

I want to see Rodney's sister again! I hope that they are in fact bringing her back. I also am happy to hear that Carson will be back. I'll be interested to see how they pull that off.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Supposedly there is a hint as to how Carson will be brought back somewhere in the back half of Season Three. I wasn't really looking for it, so I don't know what it is.

I too hope that is the part of "Common Ground" they focus on, and considering there is supposed to be a LOT more focus on Wraith this year, that just might be. We're supposed to find out a lot on Wraith culture, including how Wraith babies are born (seriously).

rivka
Member # 4859

Raise of hands, who really wants to know that? *keeps hands down*

Toldja, ooky gooey oozy stuff! bleh.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm mildly interested. I have a feeling there's, like you say, ooky gooey egg sacks that burst open, much like what we saw in the episode where Michael's Iratus bug warrior things hatched from similar eggs. But wouldn't it be a surprise if they had live births and nice caring family structures? [Smile]

I could go without though, and frankly I could go without the Wraith entirely. I just don't like them as bad guys. What I'd like is a more sympathetic, complicated bad guy for once. The go'auld were the very embodiment of evil. You didn't sympathize with them, there was no wriggle room, they were just plain EVIL.

The Wraith are just a tick more complex, in that what makes them evil is necessary for their survival, and some of them seem somewhat understandable, like Michael or the Wraith that Sheppard met in "Commong Ground." But by and large they are just a bunch of goons. Hell, 90% of them are played by just two actors! The Asurans are just Replicators 2.0, I'm sick of them too. Being led by Major Winchester is only a slight improvement, though frankly I think it would have been more entertaining if they were led by Jamie Farr or Alan Alda, so long as we're picking MASH alumni.

Even the Genii are stupid, petty, annoying bad guys. They're one dimensional. We're going to attack you because, well, we're Genii, and that's just what we do. We don't need reason, or cause, or anything resembling realistic hope of getting anything valuable out of the situation. They're bested EVERY time by Atlantis, usually in pretty dramatic fashion. They lose materiel, personnel, and usually their leaders whenever they try. The first time was stupid, they were going to get what they wanted anyway. Then Atlantis offers them a deal, which they take and they backstab on, even though the best thing for them was to work WITH Atlantis to begin with. I understand being angry for Atlantis waking up the Wraith all at once, but come on, is it really in your best interest to attack the ONE powerful ally you might have in the entire galaxy? It's not that their motives make no sense (because they don't, they border on insane on the rationality scale), it's that they are so STUPID. They're just not very good at what they do. Look at the Ori in SG1. Now they're again, evil just for the sake of being evil. There is some complexity however when you get into the lives of their followers. They believe Origin to a fault, but some of them question whether or not the death and destruction they are causing is really in keeping with the spirit of the teachings. They're fighting inner demons, of whether or not to follow, most notably the in the case of Vala's husband. It's not much, but THAT is the sort of complexity I would like in a Stargate villain.

Mr. Freeze to me is a good bad guy. He's bitter because of what happened to his wife, and the accident that caused his condition, but really he's in love, and he'll do anything to be reunited with her. Once he gets her back, he gives up crime, as mayhem was never really the reason why he committed crimes to begin with. In Batman Beyond, he helps Batman by fighting off the new Joker, and even forces Batman to leave in order to protect him. He's complex, you know his motives and his emotions are complex, and he's far from one dimensional.

Why can't we have a bad guy like that? Or like Thrawn? Thrawn was evil, but he was cool and calculating. He was intelligent, cold, meticulous. And with Palleon at his side, you got a lot of insight into his way of thinking, the particular lens through which he viewed the universe. But bad guys in Stargate rarely get that sort of treatment.

Much as I love Stargate, Atlantis has let me down there I think. I'm not as loyal to Atlantis as I am to SG1, mostly because I fell in love with SG1 before I started demanding more from my shows, but I would love Atlantis until the day I die if they'd just give me a formidable opponent. I want someone that they can't beat just because the Asgard gave them shiny new toys for their ships, or because the go'auld are stupid and leave the exhaust ports on their Death Stars unprotected everytime, or because the Ori have a magic ex deus machina to kill them all in one fell swoop.

Maybe the third show will answer my wished.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
But wouldn't it be a surprise if they had live births and nice caring family structures? [Smile]

Yeah, those queens were so loving and maternal. [Razz]

They're insectoid. Live births are unlikely, and caring family structures even more so.

I'm with you on the unidimensional evil guys. It's what made the Jaffa interesting -- they were not unidimensional. At least some of the time.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The Jaffa were half and half. The Jaffa warriors they killed all the time were like Stormtroopers. They couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and they got mowed down like tall grass in the summer.

Individual Jaffa however, the ones who actually got names, actually had issues and a measure of complexity, some of the time. I'd like more of that plase. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Individual Jaffa however, the ones who actually got names, actually had issues and a measure of complexity, some of the time. I'd like more of that plase. [Smile]

Exactly.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I could go without though, and frankly I could go without the Wraith entirely. I just don't like them as bad guys.
A-men.

quote:
The Jaffa were half and half. The Jaffa warriors they killed all the time were like Stormtroopers. They couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and they got mowed down like tall grass in the summer.

Individual Jaffa however, the ones who actually got names, actually had issues and a measure of complexity, some of the time. I'd like more of that plase.

Double A-men!
rivka
Member # 4859

*eyes thread title change and waits*
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, more news already. I'm checking my Stargate news sources more often these days cause I feel like news is popping up by the hour.

Season 10 DVDs will be released on July 24th. It's the fastest DVD release in Stargate history, considering the back half of the show won't even finish airing in the US until June. Also for the first time in SG DVDs there will be deleted scenes with commentary from producer Joseph Mallozzi. I really liked S10, had some really, really great episodes on it. MSRP is like $49.99, and they mentioned it will be a "box set." I wonder if that means no thin pak DVDs, but I doubt it, and I bet it debuts on Amazon for $39.99, maybe even $32.99. The dvds will be in widescreen and have 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. So high quality.

There will be a teaser trailer for SG: Continuum in the DVDs.

We're going to see Asuran warships in S4. I don't know if I mentioned that before or not, so I guess we didn't get them all in "First Strike." That could make for some really sweet space battles, the kind I haven't seen since Stark Trek DS9. We should have a half dozen ships by S4. I still want to know what happened to all those damned Asgard ships. It's been hinted at that someday we might find out, I think they are saving it for a later plot device. There must be some Asgard parking lot out there in deep space, Katana Fleet style (SW EU reference there, sorry).

Update: I checked out the Asgard thing, as I don't remember posting this before, but when asked "Where did all the Asgard ships go when the planet blew up?" Producer Joseph Mallozzi answered: "That remains to be seen." So pretty much they are saving that for a rainy day. I just hope they don't star finding random Asgard ships like they have been with Ancient ships. I think that would be stupid. The Asgard planned their deaths, there wouldn't be random ships wandering space.

Sorry it took me a bit to post after I changed the thread title, I try to change the title when I can to make it more relevant to whatever announcement I'm making. Anticipation just makes it more exciting. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I bet it debuts on Amazon for $39.99, maybe even $32.99.
The other seasons are currently selling for $35-36, so I'd guess this one will too.

*waits for Amazon to list it for pre-order*

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Amazon usually does what, two month advance pre-ordering on average? Look for it in mid to late May, I'll bet you see it.

You're probably right about the price. Usually on Amazon you can get a bit more of a deal when you pre-order, but you're right, probably around $35. If you average my two prices together, it equals yours. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Amazon usually does what, two month advance pre-ordering on average?

Depends on the manufacturer. Pretty sure I pre-ordered S2 of Atlantis with lots more lead time than that. And I *know* the first season of Lois & Clark was a preorder months and months in advance.

HP7 was a preorder over a month ago.

[ April 12, 2007, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good point. My pre-order experience is limited to Frasier and NCIS DVDs, yay for seasons 9 and 2 respectively! [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Little bit of news today.

First off, if anyway wants to, they can view a "blog" type entry from APLIS in the Arctic where SG1 is filming for Continuum here. All are made by the project manager for APLIS, but Amanda Tapping pops in for a quick word in one, and it sounds like she's having an amazing time. There's also some wintery pictures of Tapping and Ben Browder. Quick reads, and quite interesting.

Joe Mallozzi, producer for SG has said a great deal is riding on the ratings for the back half of season three. It is entirely possible, that should the back half of three get poor ratings, there will not be a season five greenlit by Sci-Fi. I think if that does happen, part of the problem is such a huge amount of time in between airings, which is stupid since they've had the episodes ready for weeks. Furthermore, everyone in the US with an internet connection, a brain, and a love of the show has already watched them via the various illegal streaming video platforms. Now we all have to watch again to support the show, but I guess there's an argument for how piracy hurts legitimate shows. I'm not a Nielson Family, so I don't know how my watching effects the show or not, but I plan to buy the DVDs, which is how I both support the show and get my fix. I'll watch the really good ones over again. I think it's sucky to base Season Five's greenlight on the back half of a disjointed Season Three. They should judge it by the first half of Season Four (and maybe not make the break so long).

Currently they aren't even planning on a Season Five, which I think is smart, planning too far ahead gets you the mashed together plot fix at the end of SG1 S10. And it looks like Paul McGillion will be in three episodes now, and not two. And there will be reprecussions from his time away and the circumstances of his return.

When asked if we'll see more depth to McKay in S4, Mallozzi had this to say: "Martin’s top secret script, Miller’s Crossing, offers a glimpse at a much more sympathetic, vulnerable McKay." I think that's a more pointed hint to his sister coming back for an episode. So that looks like good news to me. Maybe "Miller's Crossing" is what they are calling the energy bridge that her math proof allowed them to create? Just speculation at this point, but I can't imagine they would title the episode that way and NOT have it be about her.

Good news all around it seems, but I have to say that thing about S3 ratings being the determining factor in a S5 has me very, very nervous. I don't want to see the show cancelled, it's gotten so much better recently, and the rumors have me excited for this season. Plus I worry about what that might do for the third series in development.

I wonder how Stargate would do if they self released it and sold individual episodes on the internet for cheap, with just a few commercials, almost like a sponsorship, and then released the DVDs a bit cheaper at the end of the year for those who bought every episode. I wonder if it would be enough to pay for the show. Moot point anyway, it'd never happen. I fear for the future of television.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And there will be reprecussions from his time away and the circumstances of his return.
His blood'll turn green and his ears grow points?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Little bit today, mostly just musings.

Firstly, "Miller's Crossing" will have Ronon and Teyla wearing "civvies." I think that's more evidence that they go to Earth to meet with McKay's sister.

I become more and more confused on why SG1 was cancelled. After figuring out the ratings, the last seasons of Atlantis and SG1 both had the exact same season average rating of 1.68. Frankly I think that means the only reason Atlantis was renewed was because after 10 seasons, the actors on SG1 were just too expensive. But it also begs the question of whether or not Atlantis will survive. Joe Mallozzi said that this time last year, he and everyone else figured Season 11 was a "slam dunk." Which is why they planned to leave S10 open ended and finish it up in 11, only the second time in 10 years such a decision was made. I guess ratings for S4 are more important than ever.

Something big is going to happen with the gate bridge between galaxies in Season 5. No news on what yet.

More news to follow in the coming days...

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something big is going to happen with the gate bridge between galaxies in Season 5. No news on what yet.
Yes. It will be mine. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You're taking over the bridge?

Are you going to charge some sort of toll?

rivka
Member # 4859

Will there be a bell involved?

Or a goat? No, wait, Lyr said toll.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I almost went for the troll joke, but this late at night couldn't think of anything more funny than a very dull snicker inducing snippet.

I had a turnpike joke I was going to make, but when I have to resort to highway humor, I know I've already failed.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Phooey! You tell me my favorite SG1 character will probably make the move to Atlantis and now you tell me I have to watch it in its still crappy form to get Carter? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, Carter is one of the most interesting powerful women on tv. Only BSG gives me as high a caliber of female characters. So keeping Sam on air would be a good thing.

On the other, I hate the characters on Atlantis. Taila and Ronan don't do anything. Ronan is a warrior who doesn't talk. Taila is an amazon and a healer beloved by her people. But that's all I get. I never connected with Weir, not sure why. I like Rodney (when he's not in anti-religious rant mode *eyeroll*) and Shepherd, but I don't feel they have anyone to balance them. I don't know if it's the actors, the characters, or the writing, but I never felt Atlantis had a balanced cast.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ratings are in for the premieres of SG1 and Atlantis in the back half of both seasons.

SG1 and Atlantis did a respectable 1.5 and 1.4 (respectively).

The S10 and S3 premieres for both of these six or so months ago did 1.4 and 1.5 respectively, which means SG1 bumped up a notch and Atlantis had a slight dropoff. Considering almost zero advertising was done outside of Sci-Fi Channel, this is considered a fairly good showing. And despite the fact that SG1 did better than Atlantis, it's still gone.

Dr. Lee will be making a guest appearance next season, as will Col. Ellis and the Apollo, and someone from the SG1 family (who isn't Christopher Judge) who is thus far unnamed. Colonel Carter will be in the very first episode of the season, "Adrift." All of the characters (sans Carter) will apparently be getting their own focused episode in the first half of the season. By which I mean, the episode will focus on and revolve around them and character exposition. At the very least, I know that McKay will get it (in Miller's Crossing), Sheppard (in Travelers), Ronon (in Reunion), and Teyla though I can't remember the episode Teyla gets hers in.

The writers are of the opinion that this is their best season of writing to date, and they've only completed like seven or eight scripts.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.