FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, advice for getting into shape in under 18 days. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay, advice for getting into shape in under 18 days.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just joined up and I am called ignorant by a man who cannot do 19 sit-ups? I guess you need something to be boastful about. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask questions.
First, you seem to be confusing me and Blayne. I can do 19 sit-ups. Heck, my girlfriend can do 19 sit-ups. Second, that has, in any case, nothing to do with ignorance. You are clearly ignorant of your own country's history. Some people would take that as an opportunity to learn something.

It may be worth noting, though, that I do have a bit of a reputation for snark on this board. You might find it better to ignore me until you're up to speed on basic things; others here are better at the gentle correction.

quote:
Because I realized that just because other people are snippy doesn't mean I have to be.
Responding to your original post: She is neither stupid nor ignorant, and therefore does not get the rough edge of my tongue.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's ignorant about something. You seem to be confusing ignorance with willful ignorance.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Rave Time!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When the invading army retreats because it hasn't got the basic competence to ensure enough ammunition and food, and because it's afraid to fight the army it intended to defeat... Yes, I call that an ass-kicking.
KOM,
A few things in response.

1st: You're willfully ignoring what an army is. A few hundred Irish with a grudge doesn't constitute an army.

2nd: The actual U.S. Army stopped about 3,000 Fenians from crossing into Canada and doing some serious damage. This, in addition to the supply issues, played a part in their retreat.

3rd: Can you explain how a tactical retreat is an ass-kicking? Did the Canadians that retreated from the Fenians get their asses kicked too? Or is just the final outcome that makes that determination?

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer final outcome, that way Vietnam can be easily classified as America getting its ass kicked and as such allowing us to ignore the inconvenient facts of the US never losing a single engagement at the company level due to its overwhelming air suporiority at the time.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Blayne,
You use whichever self-delusion that helps you sleep at night, and i promise I'll do my best not to upset your skewed view of reality.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The War of 1812 was officially with Britain, no? The USA still had its ass beaten, sure, on too many painful fronts to discuss, but, well...

Imagine what would happen if Canada tried to invade the US today ^^.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
We'd get good transit systems and national health care?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

HumanTarget, wtf are you talking about and why are you calling me deluded and how is my reality skewed.

Are you denying that the US won nearly every single military engagement vs the VC and NVA? Or are you being a **** disturber because it floats your boat?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

Heh.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
HumanTarget, wtf are you talking about and why are you calling me deluded and how is my reality skewed.
Let's see...your exact quote,
quote:
that way Vietnam can be easily classified as America getting its ass kicked and as such allowing us to ignore the inconvenient facts of the US never losing a single engagement at the company level
shows you asserting a point that disagrees with your own logic. If we in fact won every engagement on a military level, then how did we get our asses kicked? Asserting that we got our ass kicked even though we won every battle seems a bit backwards to me. Hence the delusional comment.

quote:
Are you denying that the US won nearly every single military engagement vs the VC and NVA?
Couldn't tell you. Either way, it's not relevant, especially if your stated intention is to gloat that the U.S. lost the war in Vietnam.

quote:
Or are you being a **** disturber because it floats your boat?
It's been a while since I've posted, and I had just forgotten what a pleasure it was dealing with you.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

It is obvious you take pleasure insulting me otherwise you would see the irony in my statement. I am not discussing an issue which you have purposely misunderstood to the greatest degree.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Blayne,
Your irony is routinely missed, so you'll have to excuse me if I've become the latest victim.

In the future, you might make more of an effort to be understood, rather than hiding behind supposed personal attacks and assertions that any misunderstandings could only be intentional, as opposed to actually being affected by your poorly worded statements.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Davidson's Law strikes again.

Subtle, but inescapable.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

where did he strike this time.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Okay, advice for getting into shape in under 18 days.

STEP 1: Set aside plenty of time for an online long-derailed discussion of the topic.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

THT's use of 'affect' when 'effect' is the correct word.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Imagine what would happen if Canada tried to invade the US today.

The Canadians troops would be stopped at the border crossing and asked for the passports. They would produce them and be welcomed into the US. Countering US troops would be allowed into Canada but when they tried to return to the US side of the border they too would be asked for passports. Only 2 in 10 would have passports and they would be refused entry.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
US troop can use their military ID cards to re-enter the country.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And beer with more alcohol in it.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you denying that the US won nearly every single military engagement vs the VC and NVA?
If he won't, I will. This is a popular myth that just doesn't agree with ground truth. I recommend you see to documentaries on the subject. "Two days in October" and "Sir no Sir".

For example: In Oct. 1967 US commanders lead troops into a VC ambush where they were slaughtered.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoiding the military debate:

Every hour or so, drop and do five pushups. Just knock'em out.

Do a couple of lunges - no more than five per leg.

Sit and do a couple of situps.

Get your body used to doing the exercises in small amounts and build up to larger amounts.

In the evenings, push yourself (no pun intended) by exercising to "muscle failure".

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

kk all good advice, and when I mean nver lost a battle I mean above the company level, which I think I mentioned although probly not clearly enough I read a very intesting book(s) on the Vietnam war.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
We're forgetting the part where America kicked it's own ass. But whatever, Belgium could take it any day! Go Belgium!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM amuses me [Smile] That and I love how he likes to perpetuate negative stereotypes and pluralizes when a single person doesn't know his history well enough. I guess that means we're ALL stupid. From that, I'm to deduce that all of KoM's countrymen are snobby, uptight, arrogant pricks.

We won the Revolutionary War, against the most powerful nation on earth at the time. We won the War of 1812, against the most powerful nation on earth for a second time. If you want to celebrate the fact that British regulars repulsed American militia in their invasion of Canada, then by all means, do so. Repelling a concentrated effort, no matter how crappy it might have been, by a foreign nation is always cause for celebration. The fact that Canada hasn't had to face any serious threat of invasion in the last 200 years is I guess irrelevant. Obviously those wily Canadians can never be bested.

The US Military record is admirable, I don't really see where anyone has proof to argue otherwise.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We won the Revolutionary War, against the most powerful nation on earth at the time.
France and Spain won the Revolutionary War, and at the time Britain was nowhere near the dominant position it had after the Napoleonic Wars. You lot were along for the ride.

quote:
We won the War of 1812, against the most powerful nation on earth for a second time.
Which is why not a single one of your casus belli made it into the peace treaty. And, again, Nappy had far more to do with the outcome than any fighting on American soil.

quote:
That and I love how he likes to perpetuate negative stereotypes and pluralizes when a single person doesn't know his history well enough.
Possibly you missed the irony inherent in complaining about people perpetuating stereotypes, by doing so myself. This was intended as a subtle form of humour. My mistake; I forgot that my audience was composed of rough colonials, whose idea of humour is a bear-baiting party. Next time I try for humour, I shall make sure to include bells, whistles, and gongs as a visual aid.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hm, well in that case, American won WW2, France and the UK were just along for the ride. Thanks for giving us a place to land all our boats and big shiny bombers.

Was it another joke of yours that Americans apparently got their "asses kicked" when they lost after half hearted efforts to invade Canada, but when America beats the British it wasn't our doing, it was because of third party intervention?

Maybe in the future you should actually be funny, just a suggestion.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
KoM amuses me [Smile] That and I love how he likes to perpetuate negative stereotypes and pluralizes when a single person doesn't know his history well enough. I guess that means we're ALL stupid. From that, I'm to deduce that all of KoM's countrymen are snobby, uptight, arrogant pricks.
Psh. Belgium laughs at both of your obvious cultural inferiorities.

Ignorant north americaners, we sneer in your general direction.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I forgot that my audience was composed of rough colonials, whose idea of humour is a bear-baiting party.

Arf arf - that's rich coming from a rough colonial whose idea of fun is a moose-baiting party.

BTW, the British have never been dominant, were more passive-aggressive in an underhanded sort of way. And we have jolly nice flag.

Toodle-pip [Evil]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
Hell, in that case, come time for the next family reunion, we're invading Canada!

I'm guessing we can easily take Montreal, or at the very least inflict some of our stereotypical American rudeness on them for foisting Celine Dion onto us.

Do us a favor and take Saskatchewan. Or Newfoundland. Or better yet, take both. Please. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Belgium could have you all. With one hand tied behind its' back (with red tape).

Or it would challange the US to a beer competition.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

And beer with more alcohol in it.
And Smarties and Shreddies. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

And we have jolly nice flag.

And you used have an even better one.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Belgium could have you all. With one hand tied behind its' back (with red tape).

Or it would challange the US to a beer competition.

I'd have to vote for the Belgians. It's the only beer I can really tolerate.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

Shirley the Gadsden Flag was American?

I was talking about the Union Flag... [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, KoM's major points are perfectly valid: we got our butts kicked in the War of 1812, and only "won" the Revolutionary War because France got involved.

That said, counting the Fenian raids as an invading American army is a bit of a stretch, given that American forces were actually attempting to prevent the raids.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Canadians have fought a good many wars and performed extraordinarily, WWI (Vimmy ridge anyone?), WWII (we couldve won at Dieppe if it werent for them Brits slowing us down [Mad] ), Korean War, Afghanistan, and in peacekeeping thingies all over the world just because we havent been expressedly invaded doesnt mean we havent fought.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Also, the USA did not "win" WWII, the war was fought and won in the Eastern Front.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Lyrhawn, KoM's major points are perfectly valid: we got our butts kicked in the War of 1812, and only "won" the Revolutionary War because France got involved.

And also Mel Gibson.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

quote:
Also, the USA did not "win" WWII, the war was fought and won in the Eastern Front.

A novel take on the history of WWII. I assume that the Pacific Theatre, the campaigns in North Africa, Italy or Western Europe were just a day out for the boys then?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And also Mel Gibson
And also Jean Laffite. Horray for Pirates. I'll bet he could do twenty push-ups!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's to Canada's credit that they don't need as large of an army as the US, or have to fight as many people.
The rest of the world generally likes Canadians and they have few enemies...

maybe because their "well trained" army does not go about invading whatever country the president feels like invading...

i have no doubt that US spec ops is trained way better than the canadian light infantry, and i sincerely doubt that the americans handed over their guns to canadians to improve utility of the guns.

but i still think it's to the canadians' credit that they dont have to fight as much.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

compare the ratios of equipment used/lost of each theatre and you'll realize that aside from shortening the war the North African threatre and French threatres did little to the actual winning of the war, they shortened it by a few months but by no means were they responsible for its conclosion. It was the Red Army that finally circled and occupied Berlin, that destroyed the mighty 6th Army Group, that smashed Germanies irreplaceanle AFV stock at Kursk, that destroyed the forces sieging Leningrad and anniliated army group center.

The back of the werhmaht(sp?) was broken in Poland with Zhukov's race to Berlin, The germans in France were only fighting holding actions, The ardennes offence lacked the manpower to repeat its performence of 1940.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
I think that it's to Canada's credit that they don't need as large of an army as the US, or have to fight as many people.
The rest of the world generally likes Canadians and they have few enemies...

Here we see the Canadian in its natural habitat. The Canadian, a generally peaceful creature, has few natural enemies...
(/Nature Show Voiceover)

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
quote:

A novel take on the history of WWII. I assume that the Pacific Theatre, the campaigns in North Africa, Italy or Western Europe were just a day out for the boys then?
Sorry, but yes. Oh, the Pacific campaign kept the Japanese from biting the ankles of the Russians, but North Africa prolonged the war a bit by preventing the Italians from sending any troops to the Eastern front, where they'd have given the Russians some easy breakthroughs. As for Western Europe: Look up some German orders of battle, and consider whether that handful of garrison troops would really have made any difference in the east.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And having Europe under Soviet control would have been a walk in the park.

Sorry we wasted our time.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Mussilini sent 200,000 italians in 41' to the Eastern front, thse 200,000 could have swung the war in North Africa in Rommel's favor, since the equipment, spare parts and supplies needed to sustain italian activity in the east could have been used in North Africa.

The Japanese had a "northern resources area" and a southern one, they choose the southern one on US provocation, while it is concievable had Japan tied down Siberian troops germany wouldve possibly been able to maybe take Moscow but nonetheless the Japanese planned and determined long before June 22nd that they were going after the states, the Entire Pacific theatre should easily be considered a separate war as the Japanese ad the Germans had little to no coordination.

Germany was already being pushed back and lacked all hope for victory in 1944, normandy only sped up the process.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k, what happens if due to whatever reason I forget to do pushups until really late at night is it still benficial to do them? I'm doing them anyways on the safe side.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And having Europe under Soviet control would have been a walk in the park.

Sorry we wasted our time.

A completely separate issue from what was asked. And anyway, why you say "we", postmodern boy? You weren't even born at the time.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are a vampire, I don't see how time of day matters much. Assuming you are awake enough not to injure yourself, and don't make noise that bothers the downstairs neighbors.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.