FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Laptop Repair Techs! (a question)

Author Topic: Hatrack Laptop Repair Techs! (a question)
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and I think the backlight just went out. I hooked it up to my desktop monitor and it works fine. I just can't see anything on the screen. It is a 15.4 inch screen. Looks like I can get a new backlight off eBay for around $22. Is it something I can fix myself without being a hardware ninja, or should I take it to a shop?

Thanks for any advice!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly how ninja are you? Does the thought of tiny screws and possible soldering scare you?
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it actually went out? Does it ever come on? I have seen many people get tripped up by the 3 modes you can put the LCD screen in
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I replace one myself. You can do it. Some are more complicated than others, but usually you can find a step by step replacement guide (with pictures) online.
(well, come to think of it, I didn't actually replace the backlight. The backlight went out, and I just replace the entire screen by swapping it with a salvaged unit of the same model. Just the backlight might be more daunting, I don't know)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not afraid of tiny screws, but I don't think I'm up to soldering. Things like that inevitably go wrong for me. If soldering is involved, I'll probably take it to a repair place.

DarkKnight, it did come on full brightness briefly after I turned the computer off and back on. It was normal for a split second, then went dark again. After that I could see the screen faintly but not well enough to see words or the mouse pointer. And it faded darker a little more after that.

I hooked it up to my desktop monitor like I said, but I haven't been able to find any toggles for the LCD screen. Do those exist, and where do you find them?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.