FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My album's out (updated w/ "Little Bunny Foo Foo" parody)

Author Topic: My album's out (updated w/ "Little Bunny Foo Foo" parody)
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
After a year of work, I've finally (digitally) released an album, This Insubstantial Pageant, on iTunes, Rhapsody, Music Net, Napster, eMusic and Sony Connect. Pretty cool, huh? Neat feeling, seeing something you've created out there on its own...

Anyway, congratulate me!

[ February 02, 2007, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'll check it out as soon as I get home tonight. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, man!

I listened to some if it just now.....you have a very different sound. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's most electronic and vaguely alternative stuff... those of you who know me can guess at how far afield some of the lyrical content is...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
*Congratulates you*

*looks up iTMS*

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this was ALMOST enough to persuade me to download and install jukebox software. But not quite. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

LOL... in a couple of months the physical CD will also be available, Tom...
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! I'll check it out after work. What do you have to do to get an album into the iTunes Store?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Hrm... you need a credit/debit card or a PayPal account, I think.

[edit]The apparent randomness of this answer came from my not reading carefully enough... see below. D'oh![/edit]

[ January 24, 2007, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I will be checking it out later.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by David Bowles:
Hrm... you need a credit/debit card or a PayPal account, I think.

That's it? No associated costs?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to be the first to wish you a sincere Mazel Tov!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he might have misinterpreted, but I don't know.

One way is with cdbaby ( http://cdbaby.com/ ); they're good about letting the artist retain rights, and for a small fee they'll put you in all the online stores they have contracts with. I don't think he's using them, because a couple searches don't turn up him or his album, but they're a popular option.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

twinky, sorry, crazy morning... the AcaDec team I coach just got the news that we're going to state (yes!)

Anyway, I went through TuneCore (though the plan is to use CDBaby for the physical CD). For a fee they host your CD and distribute it to various digital vendors. It's pretty neat deal if you've got an album and no particular desire (or chance, heh) of being represented or discovered by a label, etc.

twinky
Member # 693

Interesting. Thanks. [Smile]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Lyrics are on my website ( http://web.mac.com/noeticskein ), and sometime today I'm going to put up a potpourri mp3 with samples of each song.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Huckleberry Juju.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Thanks! Anyone who wants to can hear a potpourri of songs from the album right here.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
do you make more money if I purchase your album through any particular vender?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Nope... least not significantly. Thanks for buying it... use whatever vendor is most convenient for ya.
twinky
Member # 693

I have procured it from iTS. I liked the clips more than the previous stuff of yours you've linked me to, but I haven't had time to listen fully yet. I'm taking a road trip tomorrow, so I'll play it on the drive. [Smile]
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Cool, twink. Thanks for checking it out!

quote:
I liked the clips more than the previous stuff of yours you've linked me to
Yeah... much of what I do on iCompositions could be though of as exercises or rough drafts: this album is my actually making music I'm serious about and trying hard to write/perform/sing/produce at a professional level. Overall, I think I'm getting there.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

twinky, Steve, Strider... if you guys have a chance, I'd appreciate any feedback you have on the album... you can post it here or as a customer review on iTunes... thanks!

My daughter has convinced me, by the way, to do a parody of the first track, "Huckleberry Juju": yesterday she was listening to it and singing the words to "Little Bunny Foo-foo." I nearly choked on my food laughing. Crazy kid.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on buying it as soon as I'm a bit more financially secure. It's on the top of my list. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Thanks!
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My daughter has convinced me, by the way, to do a parody of the first track, "Huckleberry Juju": yesterday she was listening to it and singing the words to "Little Bunny Foo-foo." I nearly choked on my food laughing. Crazy kid.

Hahaha, post this!

Is the music all you, or did you get help? Do you mind telling us what sort of equipment you used?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Nato, I will... I want to get her to sing it, which will make it even more insane.

The music is all me in the sense that I played all the instruments (or programmed their part in midi, as the case may be). A few purchased samples ("loops") were used here and there, but very sparingly. I played on an M-Audio Keystation 49e (a midi-controller keyboard), an off-brand electric guitar and a cheap acoustic I picked up in Mexico. I used the virtual drum machine iDrum for some of the beat creation (other times I banged out rhythms on the keyboard or composed them via midi programming). The vocals (all me, except for some spoken words by my oldest daughter) were recorded using a USB mic.

The music was recorded, mixed and mastered on my MacBook Pro using GarageBand 3 (tricked out with $400 worth of additional virtual instruments and audio units).

Twenty years ago, when I was a teen in a rock band, I would've given anything for the sort of technology that has allowed me, relatively cheaply, to take a mental musical epiphany and convert it into a concrete piece of audio. I am overwhelmed at how awesome it feels.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wicked cool. I've only listened to the potpourri, but it's definately interesting stuff. You have a great voice, and I like that all the songs sound unique.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Thanks, Dragon... in the next month or so, I'm going to have all sorts of downloadable extras that people who check out the album can get from my site... remixes and other fun stuff.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked it up and am listening now. [Smile] I loved all the clips I sampled on iTMS, so it was not a hard decision to purchase. Many of the songs make me want to dance.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

quote:
Many of the songs make me want to dance.
That's good news... I set out to make "intellectual dance" music, and if it doesn't make your feet tap and your booty want to get off the chair, well, the "dance" part is pretty much useless, heh. Glad you liked it!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
twinky, Steve, Strider... if you guys have a chance, I'd appreciate any feedback you have on the album... you can post it here or as a customer review on iTunes... thanks!

THAT I would pay for.....seriously.

My wife sings that song, with hand motions, at almost every red light.

Yes, I still married her. Although at every red light I wonder why. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Because she picked you up and bopped you on the head...?
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Heh. Okay, it's done... Click here for the "Little Bunny Foo Foo" parody of my song "Huckleberry Juju." Kudos to my daughter Charlene for the idea (you'll hear her voice in sections of the song).
twinky
Member # 693

I can't listen to it right now, but I should be able to this weekend.

In terms of feedback, I'll do you one better -- I'll review it in my opinion review column on Sakeriver. [Smile]

David Bowles
Member # 1021

Whoa! Thanks, twink.
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the album from Limewire. Anybody who wants it for free email me @ patpoyfair@gmail.com.
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

LOL! My students say they're going to put it on Bear Share, too, Patsy baby.
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Yeah, but I'm charging people 5 bucks.

How ya been Dr. Bowles?

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Well, it's "Doctoral Candidate" Bowles, still, Paddy, but I've been dandy. Trying to get the dissertation written while working full time and being a passable father/husband. Interesting life.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I can honestly say that the "Little Bunny Foo Foo" song is quite possibly the coolest thing ever. It's incredible, and it makes me rock and laugh.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Thanks!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Are you going to add that to the version on iTunes? Because I would totally buy it.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Heh, I can't, but thanks... you just download it and jam to it all you want.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Where do you download it?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I put that Little Bunny Foo Foo mp3 on my desktop and had it cranked up this morning (I'm usually first in the office) -- and several people came by to listen. It's great!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Farmgirl, lol, that's cool!

Steve, if you click on this link:

http://web.mac.com/noeticskein/iWeb/Site/Downloads_files/Little%20Bunny%20Foo%20Foo.mp3

and then go to File > Save, you can download it that way.

For people who don't use iTunes, I'll have the album in my webpage's store pretty soon: http://web.mac.com/noeticskein/iWeb/Site/Store.html

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I get my laptop back and a little cash, I'll totally buy it! How exciting!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Wow, thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.