FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An open armed welcome to the current crop of newbies

Author Topic: An open armed welcome to the current crop of newbies
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Newbs, we love you. Without a steady flow of newbies, our community would whither and die. (I've seen it happen.) You are as children to us.

Yet, like children you are un-acculturated to who we are and what we are like. Sometimes, the acculturation process takes a while. That's ok. In any event, it's best to lurk for a couple weeks before jumping in with both feet to post.

It might also be a good idea to watch this orientation video. It's from another forum but it's still makes some good points: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php (warning: very mild profanity)

So please, take a Valium, read lots of other threads, THEN post.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Is YOUR post necessary? Unnecessary posting INTERFERES with the WAR EFFORT!

I must admit, I read your title as being armed with weapons. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

That would be "An openly armed welcome to the current crop of newbies."
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I warmly welcome all newbies over the age of...*sticks finger in the mental wind*...25.

Other newbies can just go away. [Mad]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm: Be nice. We have a lot of younger posters who really contribute.

KoM: It's funny that you should be the first to post when it was you I was thinking of when I wrote "Sometimes, the acculturation process takes a while."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's really quite amazing how people here cling to their superstitions even after their silliness has been pointed out.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Storm: Be nice. We have a lot of younger posters who really contribute.

*grumble...stupid kids with their 'rock n roll'...grumble*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been resisting the urge to dobie this thread ever since I saw it, using the line in Peter's post as my subject and having the words "The question you have to ask yourself is 'are you feeling lucky?'. Huh? Are you punk?" (though of course I'd look up the quote and get it exactly right before I posted it). The link would have been to some Dirty Harry pic or another.

Luckily, I recognize dobies for the abominations they are and don't actually create them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I have been resisting the urge to dobie this thread ever since I saw it, using the line in Peter's post as my subject and having the words "The question you have to ask yourself is 'are you feeling lucky?'. Huh? Are you punk?" (though of course I'd look up the quote and get it exactly right before I posted it). The link would have been to some Dirty Harry pic or another.

Luckily, I recognize dobies for the abominations they are and don't actually create them.

Let's face it, Noemon: how is this any better? [Wink]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's tons better. Noemon gets to show how clever he is, and he gets warm fuzzies for not cluttering up the front page with flotsam.

I don't see a down side.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Perfect. Except the quote should be: "Feel like posting? Go ahead. Make my day."
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I read it the same way, as "An open, armed welcome..."

Sax -

quote:
I warmly welcome all newbies over the age of...*sticks finger in the mental wind*...25.
You heard it here folks! Storm Saxon wants me to leave! [Cry]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*stabs Lyrhawn in the eye*
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon, you want me to leave too?! I'm so hurt. I think I'm just going to cry and sulk in the corner *goes to corner to sulk*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*sets Evie on fire*
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*grabs everyone by the hand (I have lots of hands) and starts singing Kumbaya*
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
*stares into the campfire and cries*
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
It's tons better. Noemon gets to show how clever he is, and he gets warm fuzzies for not cluttering up the front page with flotsam.

I don't see a down side.

Neither do I. It made me laugh.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:

That would be "An openly armed welcome to the current crop of newbies."
Actually, I read it as open and armed.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, don't worry, I'm pretty sure you're not really a newbie anymore. Once we're here long enough mean old Stormy can't get rid of us.

*nyah nyah*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*neuters Dragon*

No, but I can make sure future generations of posters don't have to worry about dealing with your damn hellspawn! [Mad] [Evil Laugh]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Actually, I read it as open and armed.

True. It should actually be "An open-armed welcome," I believe (as opposed to "An open, armed welcome, as in your reading). Either way, it needs some punctuation to be correct.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy is mean! *cries*
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon, why did you pick that particular name?
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Because 'Storm Saxon' = Fun!
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz 'kingofallcorgis' was way too cool
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon is fun! Muwahahahahahaha!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I was so relieved to know that others read that as an "armed" title. *phew*

I don't know what's wrong with the rest of youse -- Stormy is a gentle lamb and would never hurt anyone. What a way to spread false information. tsk, tsk.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Army?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.