FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who is this guy?

Author Topic: Who is this guy?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I grabbed my February Smithsonian to enjoy with lunch and was reading the shorts at the front of the magazine. One article, "Boys Life," appeared to be an historical monograph about growing up in post-war Des Moines. I was ambushed. I found myself laughing out loud. (and that is not my typical behavior) The author, listed as Bill Bryson, is hilarious. He didn't even blink. I was hit three times before I realized that it was not a straight piece. Now, what else has this man written?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A Short History of Nearly Everything (essays on everything from science to history to human nature)

The Mother Tongue: A History of English

Other things as well, I'm sure, but those are the ones I've read.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
He's also written several very good travelogues. I've read A Walk in the Woods and Notes from a Small Island and greatly enjoyed both.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot! I had "A Short History of Nearly Everything" in my hand at the bookstore just two weeks ago, and set it down without looking closely. I will see if the libraricito here can get one of these in. If not, will be a month before I am back to civilization again. Thanks
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Bill Bryson's stuff, especially his English language book.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
His latest book is out in hardback, called "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", and is vaguely autobiographical. He's one of the few authors I can count on to make me laugh out loud on a regular basis.

A Short History is great, but very long. A Walk in the Woods is probably my favorite of his.

Edit: In fact, I'll bet the article you read was an excerpt from his latest, as I definitely remember a chapter or two on that subject.

Edit2: And I meant to recommend it to Bob_S, since he's around the same age and is living in that area now.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
'Notes From A Small Island' and 'Notes From A Big Country' are a great look at the UK and USA respectively. I read 'Down Under' on the flight to Australia when I visited that country for the first time, and found it a useful source of historic and cultural anecdotes.

Plus, they're really funny. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Good author, quite droll.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
His worst book, that I've read, is "I am a stranger here myself." It's about his travels as a younger and older man in Europe- and it's alot of griping about things and not alot of cheer.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
He's one of the few authors I can count on to make me laugh out loud on a regular basis.

Don't forget to add Dave Barry to that list. He's one of my all-time fav's.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
He also wrote "In a Sunburned Country"
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.