FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microwaves and Sponges - a Public Service Announcement (retitled)

Author Topic: Microwaves and Sponges - a Public Service Announcement (retitled)
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you might have noticed the big "news" yesterday that a study found that microwaving sponges is the simplest and most effective way to sanitize them. This was a big yawner to those of us who read "household tips" sites and articles like this one:

Tips & Tricks - Cleaning Tips

And those of who already knew about zapping our sponges probably noticed that many news articles and TV reports left some crucial information out:

People, only zap *wet* sponges to kill germs

quote:
WASHINGTON - Reports about a study that found microwave ovens can be used to sterilize kitchen sponges sent people hurrying to test the idea this week — with sometimes disastrous results.

and...

quote:
One reader wrote to tell MSNBC.com, "When I tried it, my sponge caught on fire. It had been in the microwave for less than two minutes on full power. There were flames and when I poured water on the sponge it was totally charred. I just wanted to let you know that the article might need to have a warning about this danger!"

Aaron Hoover, a press officer at the University of Florida, said several other news organizations received similar complaints, although no one had complained directly to the university.

“We figured, 'Wow, we better let people know right away that the sponge should be wet,”’ Hoover said in a telephone interview.

Perhaps the next time that a University wants to give helpful household tips to the public they should go read Heloise to get an idea of how it's done. [Wink]

[ January 26, 2007, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And, you know--it doens't work for-um-personal sponges either.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it work on kids' hands?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Storm,

It only works on kids' hands if you cut them off.

Microwaves won't operate unless the door is fully closed.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Does it work on kids' hands?

[ROFL]

But you have to get the microwave door fully shut. Can't see that happening unless you stuff the entire kid into the microwave. [Angst]

Notice: I do NOT encourage this. So don't jump my back for thinking that I did or ever would do this.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it! Beat me to it, you did.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Storm,

It only works on kids' hands if you cut them off.

Microwaves won't operate unless the door is fully closed.

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to stick with the old standby of steam and boiling water.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Stan,

The only reason I beat you is that I didn't take time to type a disclaimer, since people here know me.

You can interpret that any way you want. [Wink]

Storm,

I don't know recommended time for using steam and boiling water, but if you keep it up long enough, you might have a soup stock that Hannibal Lecter would envy.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I always just put the sponge in the dishwasher. Zero chance of it catching fire.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The dishwasher gets it clean but does not sterilize it. The microwave does.

Personally, I'm ok with thorough handwashing, wringing, and putting 'em in airy hanging baskets to dry. Oh, and of course replacing them every few weeks.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Personally, I'm ok with thorough handwashing, wringing, and putting 'em in airy hanging baskets to dry. Oh, and of course replacing them every few weeks.
Just for the sake of clarity, you are talking about sponges, right?

Not your kids(!?).

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
It's something similar that we do to help clean the microwave. We spray it with water first, give a brief zap, then wipe. It makes things come off a lot easier. [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
quote:
Just for the sake of clarity, you are talking about sponges, right?

Not your kids(!?).

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

You laugh, but I notice you didn't offer any clarification.

Hmmm...

(eyes Rivka suspiciously...)

rivka
Member # 4859

*whistles innocently*
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, see. This is why I don't put anything in the microwave except food--and even that I try to avoid, since very few foods can survive a trip through the microwave with their flavor intact.

So how do I clean my sponges? Well, I use 'em till they get nasty, then I throw 'em away. Sponges are cheap, and I don't use all that many dishes anyway, as compared to someone who, you know, can cook.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I'm surprised that people actually replace sponges every few weeks. I've had my current two for about, oh, 4 months. After using them, they dry on the counter by the sink. It's Kansas in January, and inside a heated house, the relative humidity is incredibly low. My sponges dry quickly. [Smile]

Oh, and about the sponge "system". I dedicate one for the food preparation surfaces, and use one for everywhere else. Except for the bathroom, where old sponges go to die.

In another month or so, that counter sponge is going to get demoted, and then I'll have another raddy sponge for the bathroom. Or maybe window cleaning.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

::listens::

::notes absence of anything resembling "innocence" in Rivka's whistling::

::Currently contemplating Tstorm's grand science experiment in regard to importing kitchen bacterial flora and fauna into the bathroom::

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Microwaving a child???!!!

Have you gone insane?

GRILLING them is the proper way to prepare...oh.

Oh, crap.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

For Storm, Stan and Scott: [Big Grin]
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. My roommate put a sopping wet one in the microwave, and it burnt. There were no flames,(I think, I wasn't home.) but it melted to the glass tray in the microwave.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
A nice pot of Baby Stew is rather nice! [Big Grin]

I think for the sponge thing to work the technique is intended for natural or cellulose sponges not the synthetic foam ones.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a common misconception that a microwave will not operate with the door open.

Note:
A microwave will operate if the Door LATCH is closed, regardless of whether or not the door is closed, or whether the window in the door is in place.

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I can't listen to it, Stephen, but it looks damn amusing. [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
But if the door is open, wont all those nasty waves of micro's escape and start cooking everything from the inside out. I mean, I'd hate be be drying my kids that are hanging up near the microwave, and find out I've cooked them without seasoning by accident.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Storm,

I can't listen to it, either.

But the lyrics are there. And Silverstein just recites them - Silverstein didn't even attempt to do what passed for "singing" for him.

::misses Silverstein:: [Frown]

Dan,

You could probably avoid that disaster if you switched from dry rubs to marinades.

And Lavalamp...

There are *children* reading this forum and you didn't post an obligatory warning! [Eek!] [No No]

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Microwaving a child???!!!

Have you gone insane?

GRILLING them is the proper way to prepare...oh.

Oh, crap.

Nah. Chop 'em into medallions, and saute with onions and peppers. Garnish with bunny ears and serve with a side of smoked baby seal.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"One day when she had nothing to do
(sing rickety-tickety-tin)
One day when she had nothing to do
She chopped her baby brother in two
Served him up as an Irish stew
And invited the neighbors in, -bors in
Invited the neighbors in"

--Tom Lehrer, The Irish Ballad

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:

Dan,

You could probably avoid that disaster if you switched from dry rubs to marinades.

I just use season shot, myself.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn! Beaten to posting a snippet of my second-favorite Lehrer song!

The SHAME! [Embarrassed]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.