FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Katie Holmes has dropped out of 'The Dark Knight' (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Katie Holmes has dropped out of 'The Dark Knight'
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...

...will anyone really miss her? [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope... the story is about Batman, not his womenfolk.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
So, back to the revolving door of cinematic Batman love interests, eh?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to see a real woman in the movie.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Now if we can get one MORE person to drop out, AND get Mark Hamill to join the production, I'll finally be satisfied with it!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Other than Selina Kyle, I'm not really interested in seeing Batman with a long-term girlfriend.

And thanks to 2004's Catwoman, we probably won't see Selina anytime soon. [Grumble]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Talia Al Guhl(sp?) ? It won't end well...but it would certainly be entertaining.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Talia would be interesting.

I think she works best when her father is around...and the jury's still out on whether or not the Lazarus Pit exists in the "Begins" reality.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there enough left of him to put into the Lazarus Pit?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

We don't know what happened to him after Bruce left him.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly? I'm sorry she's gone. She's a pretty girl and I never see her in anything because she doesn't make the kinds of movies I watch.

If I started letting the personal relationships of actors and actressess determine whether I could enjoy their roles, that would eliminate nearly every movie made in Hollywood.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but she's not a particularly good actress and her perky, I look 18ishness didn't fit with the rest of the movie.

It barely worked with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns and probably wouldn't have if that had been a better movie.

I'm just afraid they're going to replace her with Alexis Bledel.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured that the only reason she was in the first movie was because the Hollywood formula requires you to have a love interest. I didn't think her character added much to the movie at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Other than to deny us Harvey Dent.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Yeah, but she's not a particularly good actress and her perky, I look 18ishness didn't fit with the rest of the movie.

It barely worked with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns and probably wouldn't have if that had been a better movie.

I'm just afraid they're going to replace her with Alexis Bledel.

Or worse, Kristen Kruek.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope for Shiri Appleby!
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the second movie doesn't portray psychiatry in bad enough of a light.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked her okay. It drives me crazy that the hubby always, always complains about actresses in movies. Sometimes ones I like, somethimes not.

With her, after Batman Begins, he made comments like, "Did she have a stroke? She only moves half her face."

It's always something. This is the one, minor thing about my husband that drives me nuts.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Maybe the second movie doesn't portray psychiatry in bad enough of a light.
Took me a second, but really funny, FC.

I guess that means OSC is out too.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
What will they do with the character? Kill her off?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:

Or have Alfred say something like "This is why she left you and took that job in Metropolis."
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

They could have a mobster splash acid on her entire face and turn her into a villain called "One Face".
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

Or have Alfred say something like "This is why she left you and took that job in Metropolis."
...thereby setting the stage for Batman vs. Superman in The Dark Knight Returns! [Eek!]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
good riddance. I think the movie would be better off with out her, and give batman the chance to be batman. I was not to hot on the idea of a leading lady even when Tim Burton did it with Micheal Keaton. I found Vicky Vail to be unnecessary fluff. I think the movie would be better served to focus on the relationship between the joker and batman. I am curious how they will explain his origin though, being that man that killed the Wayne's is dead already.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Joker is NOT the man who killed Bruce's parent. I don't care what Tim Burton had happen in that travesty.

The revelation of Batman's identity should be a big thing - they need to stop doing it in every darn movie.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
The Joker is NOT the man who killed Bruce's parent. I don't care what Tim Burton had happen in that travesty.

The revelation of Batman's identity should be a big thing - they need to stop doing it in every darn movie.

Indeed.

I really wish they stopped playing with the whole, "long time friend might find out the superheroes true identity!" as one of themes that span the entire movie.

There are plenty of interesting plot points in the batman story that do not revolve around his identity being exposed.

But I confess its QUITE hard to do an entire movie without a prominent female in the movie either as a villainess or a love interest. Without a female you alienate alot of potential movie goers even if you do make a more honest to the concept movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on. Everyone knows that Batman's true romance is not Vikie Vail, or Katie Holme's charcater.

Its not Batman and Cat Woman

Its Batman and Robin.

Its the love story of the older man, and his young innocent ward, working together, alone, at night. Kind of Jane Austen--in tights.

Catwoman is just a beard.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure this will make you feel any better, but I found myself asking myself the same thing your husband did, Olivet.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for kill her off... plenty of angst there to let Christian Bale show off his, IME, considerable acting chops. I really loved the scene (spoiler?) where he has her unconscious in the bat cave and is just watching her, acutely aware of what he's missing.

Oh how I long to see The Dark Knight Returns as a movie though...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

...thereby setting the stage for Batman vs. Superman in The Dark Knight Returns! [Eek!]
Well, I don't really think Katie Holmes is going to have anything to do with Batman vs. Superman...just saying. [Wink]
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:
Not sure this will make you feel any better, but I found myself asking myself the same thing your husband did, Olivet.

See, the thing is, it's true. In that movie she looks like she can only smile or frown or whatever with one side of her face.

And now when I see it, that's all I can see. I can't even properly enjoy the Bale-licious Batman or the nummy Neeson villian. Just Katie Holmes danged crooked smile. [Mad]

I do it, too, though. I ruined The Lion,the Witch and the Wardrobe for someone by remarking on the relative sizes of certain child actors' teeth.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Come on. Everyone knows that Batman's true romance is not Vikie Vail, or Katie Holme's charcater.

Its not Batman and Cat Woman

Its Batman and Robin.

Its the love story of the older man, and his young innocent ward, working together, alone, at night. Kind of Jane Austen--in tights.

Catwoman is just a beard.

Many years later, people use Seduction of the Innocent as a source on the "truth" about Batman, even though the general consensus these days is that the author was Dr. Wacky Quack.

According to the director and screenwriter upon questions about seeing Robin, the Dick Grayson of this reality is little more than a baby. Presumably traveling with his parents at the circus.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know who told Katie Holmes it was cute for her to only talk out of one side of her mouth. That person needs a beating. I am unable to pay attention to anything she says in anything because of her lop-sided mouth.

But Olivet, you can't have let her ruin the Christian Bale/Cillian Murphy action!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame Tom Cruise.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! A topic I follow obsessively and can dish out news on!

From Latino Review:
quote:
It's official (no surprise), HARVEY DENT is in THE DARK KNIGHT. Matt Damon passed on the role. The filmmakers met Josh Lucas and there is an interest in Jamie Foxx and Ed Norton.
quote:
Some other minor roles...

Eastern European Heavy - tough bad guy mobster, 40s-50s
Female Cop - Latin, 30s. Elizabeth Pena type.
Asian Accountant - male, 40s

Now, from a somewhat less reputable blog (but still in fitting with rumours):
quote:
Katie Holmes is out of The Dark Knight, Rachel McAdams is in. Not as literally the same character, but in practically the same role. I know this came up before, but it came up again, to me, just now. Let's see if it comes up again, anywhere else.

For Harvey Dent, I'm mixed about Damon's supposed passing. He's a really great actor, but I just can't picture him as Two Face. Foxx is "too smooth" for the role I think, though I guess changing yourself is what acting's about. Ed Norton would be fantastic if he could get back into American History X size, otherwise I think he would look a bit too weak.

Personally, Denzel Washington would be my choice. He's getting on a bit, but he's got the stature and the chops to own the role.

Finally, Rachel McAdams is one of my favourite young actresses and I'd be overjoyed if she was involved. Rumour has it that she recently passed on the role of Pepper Potts in the upcoming Iron Man film. Maybe The Dark Knight is why.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I actually liked her crooked smile thing. I thought it was cute, though I could see why that puts me into a small niche.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the list of those who would like to see at least one Batman movie without a pointless love interest tacked on. My first thought on seeing this thread title was "Is there a way we can drop her out of Batman Begins? Editing, CGI, something?"

However, my one and true wish for this movie is that they don't repeat the terrible, stupid mistake of killing off the Joker. Seriously. Comic book villains are supposed to be recurring, not discardable one-shots. The single greatest thing about Batman Begins re-starting the franchise from the beginning is that it meant the Joker was not dead. Please don't let them screw that up.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
While that's certainly true for comics, it doesn't work as well in the movies. You can only make so many Batman movies. I just hope they don't make the mistake of hiring an Austrian body builder for the role of...anyone. Really. Is it that bad if I use my time machine to go back and drop heavy anvils on top of the people who wrote Batman and Robin before the fact? I really want to.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
<In heavy accent>

It looks like Gotham City's about to get a little cooler.
[Cool]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that women in the Batman universe never feel like people, just plot devices. When they give me a woman as an actual character, then I'll be happy.

That's one more reason why Batman Beyond is superior to Batman. Dana doesn't sit around pulling the damsel in distress bit. She at least tried to rescue herself when the rat boy kidnapped her. Here's to a Batman Beyond movie! Or at least new episodes of the cartoon. Or all the old ones on DVD. (Season 1 is out and it looks like 2 is taking preorders.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Batman Beyond: The Complete Second Season has been out since October, 2006. At least, in the United States it has.

And you don't think Selina Kyle, Barbara Gordon, Talia, Leslie Thompkins, Rene Montoya, etc ever felt like real characters? [Frown]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just about to mention them, Puffy Treat. Then there's the bodyguard who discovered Bruce Wayne's alter ego and went to prison keeping that secret.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
While that's certainly true for comics, it doesn't work as well in the movies.

Oh, they don't have to put him in any of the further movies necessarily, they just have to not kill him off like Burton did. The Joker can be locked up in Arkham for the other movies and never shown, just not dead. Nobody ever kills off Lex Luthor when they make a Superman movie. We've had 3 X-men movies without killing off Magneto. (Yeah, the third one sucked, but it would have been worse without Magneto.)

Also, it's okay to have the Joker apparently die as long as it's in an explosion or falling off a cliff or bridge into water, and no body is found. That's happened in the comics more times than I care to count.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
After Batman Begins came out, David Goyer (story) gave a general overview of where they saw the movies going. He said that the second would focus on the Joker (with the introduction of Harvey Dent) while the third would follow the birth of Two Face with the Joker remaining a major player.

So, wish granted. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Here's the Goyer quote, from a 2005 issue of Premiere: "The next one would have Batman enlisting the aid of Gordon and Dent in bringing down the Joker- .... but not killing him, which is a mistake they made in the first one".

[ January 28, 2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Lord Solar Macharius ]

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

...and I also want a pony. No, a unicorn! A pony unicorn! That was part of my same wish back there, really.

*crosses fingers*

--Enigmatic

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention a plastic rocket.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a vote going on right now on IMDB.

Rachel McAdams is in a clear lead, with Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel (my favorite) in second and third.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And you don't think Selina Kyle, Barbara Gordon, Talia, Leslie Thompkins, Rene Montoya, etc ever felt like real characters?
I remember Selina from the movies, and I liked her. I didn't see whichever one had Barbara in it, but I liked her in the cartoon. Poison Ivy was actually my favorite, especially the episode where she grew her own family.

As for the rest of them, if they were in the cartoon, I don't remember them. I never read the comics. [Dont Know]

Women tend not to come off well in the movies.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The rest of them were in the cartoons, yes.

And thanks for clarifying that you meant the Burton/Joel S. movies.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Batgirl in the movies was Barbara Gordon... though I only saw that one once...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.