FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trivial Request

Author Topic: Trivial Request
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its that time of year again. Sasha's school is having their annual fund raiser. I've been given the fun job of Trivia Night Consultant.

So I need some fun trivia questions.

Who has any?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Some US states have a "north" and "south" (like the Carolinas and the Dakotas), and one even has a "west" (Virginia). What is the only state in the US that ever had an "east"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the only other animal mentioned in The Llama Song ?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:

Duck!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Isn't that one a little easy? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never heard the Llama Song until 6th grade, [Razz] .

How about this one?

How many times is 'Llama' said in The Llama Song ?

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
How many times is 'Llama' said in The Llama Song ?

A lot!
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Which US State is farthest South? North? East? West?

Hawaii, Alaska, Alaska, Alaska. Alaska crosses the 180 degree longitude line, meaning parts of it are as far west as west longitude is measured, and other parts are as far east as east longitude is measured.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be cheating to go to a Boston Coffee and look at the Trivial Pursuit cards (assuming you don't have the game)?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Which were the only two American states to live as independent countries before annexation?

(One is disputable, but it still works).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Texas an Hawaii were both indisputably independent countries. Both were absurdly insignificant as countries go, but both had diplomatic recognition. (Texas from France, the U.K., the U.S. and the Netherlands, I believe. I am not sure about Hawaii.)

My U.S. history teacher once asked what one had to do to be named Ambassador from France to a log cabin in Texas. [Big Grin]

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try browsing through Ask the Editors on Infoplease. (Confession of bias: I fielded a lot of those.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, Tante, what's the answer to your first question? I'm really curious.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

New Jersey!
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they all need to be geography questions?

What about asking for little-known details about your local (town, state, whatever) history? Also, questions with numbers as the answer are always fun to throw in for variety - then people can just guess wildly if they want to instead of thinking about it.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:
Texas an Hawaii were both indisputably independent countries. Both were absurdly insignificant as countries go, but both had diplomatic recognition. (Texas from France, the U.K., the U.S. and the Netherlands, I believe. I am not sure about Hawaii.)

My U.S. history teacher once asked what one had to do to be named Ambassador from France to a log cabin in Texas. [Big Grin]

Texas I would dispute, not necessarily just because they were only a country for ten years, but because during the whole of that time they were under constant attack from Mexico, and had almost zero means to defend themselves against the regular Mexican army.

Hawaii may have been insignificant, though I don't know why that really matters, in the history of what has made a nation a nation, significance hasn't been any requirement that I know of, but they were still an independent nation, part of the world economy, for something like 80 years before the US annexed them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Texas and Hawaii, California also had a very brief stint as an independent nation..
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I count that more as a rebellion in progress rather than established nation.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK the Texas flag is the only state flag that should fly as high as the US flag. Is this also true of Hawaii?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
"Texas I would dispute, not necessarily just because they were only a country for ten years, but because during the whole of that time they were under constant attack from Mexico, and had almost zero means to defend themselves against the regular Mexican army. "

Dude, Texas had a Navy (well only four ships) and an army/gendarmerie. The later still survives, although its function has changed. Yep, that's right the Texas Rangers. The fact of the matter is that Mexico was not sucessful in their attempts.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

When, to you, did America start being a nation?
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully sometime tomorrow.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I knew that! Well, I guessed, but I was pretty sure. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Hopefully sometime tomorrow.

Not likely
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

*grabs coat, hails taxi*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.