FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Torchwood (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Torchwood
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
The second season of Doctor Who had Anthony Head as a headmaster/bat thing in one of the episodes. I half expect more familiar faces from various Whedon-verses because Russell Davies has said time and again that they were going for a kind of Buffy and Angel feel for the show.

Off-topic and semi-related:

I have recently come to learn that AH was the man in a way-back-when soap opera series of Taster's Choice commercials. The woman counterpart was later highlighted in an Inspector Morse episode.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pix. That makes a lot more sense. [Wink]

The way I saw them was out of sequence, so that didn't really occur to me when I saw it. I started downloading Torchwood while the last disc in season 1 of Doctor Who was on "Very Long Wait" at Netflix. I was almost done with Torchwood by the time I got to that part of season 1. It was obvious that the Rose thing was the reason for other things about his character (trying to avoid spoilers here), but my brain didn't retroactively parse that one scene. (In fact, I missed it because I was doing other stuff while watching and had looked away. I noticed the fen laughing about the 'ressusikiss' and looked at it again. I thought, "Boy, he sure would have failed CPR," and chalked it up to a man-kissy ratings grab. Like various aliens getting female characters to kiss each other for the vaguest reasons possible, or that thing they did on Star Trek Enterprise where 'decontamination' involved hot characters in their smallclothes rubbing gel over each other.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Taster's Choice... cute commercials, those were.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Taster's Choice commercials
I waited for years in vain for a Nescafé advert shout-out on Buffy, every time that Giles visited The Bronze
(back at the start, when they were all still underage and The Bronze was still a café).
Whenever I rewatch videos taped during my childhood, those ads are everywhere.

Spike and Captain Jack in one show may cause my tv to explode. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, just to clarify something, Jack isn't bisexual. He is pansexual.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

omnisexual is the term John Barrowman uses on the talk shows. Sounds more scifi. [Wink]
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Series 1 will be available on Jan. 22 from BBCA .
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently finished watching all of Torchwood and I can't really say I enjoyed it. It's okay, but it has some genuinely unlikable characters and some really stupid episodes with huge, gaping plot holes. I found myself yelling at the TV a lot, which is never good.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I just saw the first episode of season two, and I think it could easily be a great starting point for the series. It was funny and sharp, fast-paced but still repeated certain points you'd need to know coming in fresh (though it was full of fannish in-jokes, what with the stopwatch and references to Jack being on the roof, and so forth).

Series one had a lot of little bits that were good, but it wobbled a lot. None of the episodes were really great.If all of series two is as tight as the first episode, it will be very good.

Also, James Marsters rocks as Captain John Hart, a slightly more evil version of the guy Captain Jack used to be. He's a good foil for Jack now that Jack has grown a conscience. Too bad he's only going to be in a few episodes.

I'd say all of teh characters faired well. I even hate Owen a little less. The gag in the first minute was priceless.

Itsame
Member # 9712

"It's all over..." "Let's all have sex"

Heh. Owen is better now, I agree.

Overall an awesome start, and it leaves me wanting more.

Edit: Oh, apparently EVERYONE in Torchwood is bi-sexual. Ianto? That caught me off guard.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

That may be a bit dogmatic on Russell Davies' part. He's made it clear that he believes most people are bisexual to one degree or another. (Not that I disagree, mind.)

There was some history with Ianto and Jack from season one, but I thought it was mostly a sort of emotional rebound/sieze life reaction to stuff I won't mention because it's too spoilery. There was a kiss, I think, and Owen calling Ianto "[Jack's] part time shag." (I don't consider who kisses whom to be spoilery, because it's Torchwood-- everybody kisses everybody eventually.)

Gwen hasn't made the leap yet, has she? Barring alien pheromones and such?

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you see it, Olivet? Was it on BBCA? I thought I was taping all of those...

I don't think everyone is Bisexual... Not for any useful definition of "bisexual" anyway. I mean, yeah, everyone can enjoy a same sex shag now and again but that's not quite the same as having persistant sexual desire for both sexes. Nor is it the same as being able to form lasting sexual/romantic attachments to both sexes.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I have a friend who supplies me on the down low. [Wink] I think she either bittorrents it or has someone who sends them to her. I have another friend who lives in the UK who does that, but I can never get her files to play.

There are also really, really bad quality uploads on YouTube, in six or seven minute sections, I'm guessing.

And I have to agree about the <I>useful</I> definition part. There is a big difference between being able to have partners of different sexes and self-identifying as bisexual, I think. Most heteros have a person or two they might switch teams for, but I assume that isn't the same thing. (I sort of wonder if it could be the same if society's mores were different, but I suppose there is no way to answer that question in any definative way.)

I sort of wondered if real bisexuals would find Torchwood stuntish and sensationalized. Jack seems to be completely uninhibited about sex and whom he finds attractive, but the others aren't. The writers seem to suggest this is more a 51st century vs 21st century thing, as if it's a matter of culture instead of essential nature. Is that offensive?

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... I think there are tons bisexuals who hide it or are far enough to one end of the spectrum that, given current society figure it's simply not worth it do anything about it. I think if society changed there would be significantly more open bisexuals, but heterosexuals would still dominate the landscape. It wouldn't change anyone's nature. It would just give people more freedom to be who they are.

One thing I like about Torchwood is how completely non-chalant he is about the whole thing. He'll mention an old boyfriend in passing just like a straight guy would mention a girlfriend. SOME of what Torchwood does is sensational, but hey, I kinda like that too.

I'd like it better if they showed stable relationships between bisexuals, but then again, how often do you see stable heterosexual relationships on TV? Once people are together and happy, the story generally ends.

So when is BBCA going to start showing series 2? *whine*

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I have a pretty high quality stream, but I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post it here.
Olivet
Member # 1104

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

One thing I like about Torchwood is how completely non-chalant he is about the whole thing. He'll mention an old boyfriend in passing just like a straight guy would mention a girlfriend. SOME of what Torchwood does is sensational, but hey, I kinda like that too.

I totally get what you're saying, because I'm right there with you. I am dying to see what you think of Captain John Hart, and some stuff in this episode that would be spoilery if I mentioned it.

I could maybe point you in the direction of a good quality download (I think it is filmed in HD, so there are HD rips out there, too) if you wanted to go to email. The Torchwood pusher that got me hooked isn't there anymore, but there are ways...

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I liked most about the first episode of season 2, is that Jack still seems to be more like his old self - less broody and miserable. There were times last season where it was hard to belive that he was even supposed to be the same character.

Captain John is everything I hoped he would be, too. Though I was surprised that he went with the 'Spike accent' (that same mid-atlantic twang), since the characters are so similar.
I always did adore Spike when he was evil and relishing it, so this was great.

Oh, the trailer for the rest of the season did look promising. Ianto's reaction to the idea of sex with Owen cracked us up.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Olivet: My email is p i x i e s t at y a h o o dot c o m =)
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I have a pretty high quality stream, but I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post it here.

IM me via AIM? I got your message a little while back, too, but I closed the window by accident before I could remember the sequence of numbers in your name.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Thanks Olivet! Now I just have to jones for the rest of the season =)

Capt John Hart struck me as just the Torchwood version of Spike. Not that that's a bad thing. He certainly brought a lot of humor to the show and I'm looking forward to the next time he appears.

Bella: Ianto's reaction to sex with Owen was priceless =)

Olivet
Member # 1104

You're welcome, Pix. The link worked? I could email you the next one, too.

quote:
Ianto's reaction to sex with Owen was priceless =)
It was! Also, understandable. I never understood how Muppet-Faced Boy got so much action in the first series.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

The link worked great! and the throughput was amazing. They must have a lot of bandwidth!

I'm watching BBCA right now and they have a permanent tag in the bottom right that says they're going to be showing Series 2 of Torchwood starting next Saturday at 9pm. Yay!

So thanks for the link but I think I want to watch the rest on our big screen rather than my 20 inch monitor. (commercials though. eww.)

I never got why anyone was doing anything with Owen. zmg he's such a little Troll and his personality is worse than his looks.

adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I never got why anyone was doing anything with Owen. zmg he's such a little Troll and his personality is worse than his looks.

Ok, at least I'm not the only one thinking this. He just bothers me. I'm only about halfway through the first season, and liking it so far, but I'll catch up hopefully in time for BBCA to start showing it.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Okay, cool! (Yes, she must have stellar bandwidth- she has almost daily postings of new links and has uploaded the entire Farscape series, the British series Primeval and two series' worth of Life on Mars, as well as the WHOLE of Stargate Atlantis. I don't snag a tenth of what she shares, because I run out of space to store it. But I did get Long Way Down from her, which was nice.)

adfectio- I just decided he was the scifi equivalent of teh sneaky copulater. [Big Grin]

Olivet
Member # 1104

With "Sleeper" Torchwood kept the momentum and vivid characterizations that it had in "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" but once again slipped into bleak territory. *sigh* It still had its funny moments, and the gut-wrenching scenes were earned. I can't say I didn't like it. It IS sort of in keeping with the whole "Life sucks so let's [do something that rhymes with it]" feel of the show. The guest actress really sold her role. I felt really, really bad for her.

Also, I missed James Marsters.

From the preview it looks like poor Tosh will be the next one gutted for our amusement. *sucks thumb*

[Frown] Torchwood, I wish I could quit you.

Itsame
Member # 9712

"Let's all have sex"
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.