FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laptop Help?

Author Topic: Laptop Help?
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I need a laptop for school next year and I dont really know what to get, could any true technocrats help me out?

I understand all the info, but can't decide which one would be ideal.

I know I need Wi-Fi

2+ Ghz, 512+ RAM, 70+ GB memory.

Windows too, required for degree, so sorry Macophiles.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Macs can run windows [Wink] .

You want 1 GB + for RAM, you'll feel the difference significantly.

Don't worry so much about the particular Ghz rating, those have even less correlation with processor performance than they used to. For instance, there are a number of processors in the 1.6 Ghz range out right now that are much faster than the 2 Ghz processors yore.

I would suggest checking out Dell and Lenovo's offerings. For instance, you bump up Lenovo's low end computer to a DVD burner and 80 GB hard drive for $50, making it $650 for everything you want (excepting processor speed, but its processor performance should be pretty good even so, and it doesn't have the 1GB of RAM I would suggest, but that's only an $80 price bump or so).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have one myself (yet), but you may want to think about getting a Tablet PC. From everything I've read about them, they're great for students. One downside is that they're more expensive than comparable laptops.

To echo fugu13's comment, you'll definitely want at least 1 GB of RAM.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seconding (I guess thirding) fugu's suggestion. Most of the Lenovo line is pretty good quality. You'll not want to spend less than 7-8 hundred on a dell laptop (And avoid the Inspiron line. Latitudes are a good bit better on the quality aspect).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Lenovo T60 -- standard-issue machine for RPI. Intel Dual Core, 2.0GHz, 1.0GB ram, 100GB hard drive, CD/DVD burner, fingerprint reader ( [Big Grin] ). That link will take you to a website with more specs (obviously, you won't get a lot of the preinstalled software though).

Battery has a life of about four hours, and more importantly, it won't blow up on you.

It's a solid piece of hardware. I'd highly recommend it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Acer TravelMate that I've been pretty satisfied with- (4402- good number of USB ports, a firewire port, DVD burner, card reader, memory-independent graphics card, and a price that was low enough I didn't feel stiffed to buy an extra 512 MB of memory to bring it up to 1 GB.) I'd give the one caveat that Acer hasn't the best reputation for tech support, and some of their drivers are proprietary (and they haven't done the best job of keeping them up-to-date on their web site.)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you doing with it?

If all you are going to use is the Microsoft Office suite and email, get something cheap and used.

If you are going to be downloading, playing games, watching online video, and so forth take the advice from above.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah.

INVEST IN AN ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM! I can't tell you how many people I knew in college that lost everything from viruses, mostly because roomates or friends would use their computer and get it infected.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Oh yeah.

INVEST IN AN ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM! I can't tell you how many people I knew in college that lost everything from viruses, mostly because roomates or friends would use their computer and get it infected.

Or, a lot of people seem to like this one, which has a free version:

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

And I'd also highly recommend Zone Alarm firewall:

http://www.zonelabs.com

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.