FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ethnic people? Skin bleaching? Give me a break. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ethnic people? Skin bleaching? Give me a break.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep mine short... Long hair is a bother. It looks sort of... annoying to me.
But one day I'll have to grow it long and maybe relax it to look respectable -_-.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband, Abhi, who is an Indian citizen, once mentioned that he would have had some trouble finding an Indian girl to marry, since he was so fair-skinned. Women apparently see it as something of a disgrace to be darker (and therefore, "uglier") than their husbands. But, yeah, in India fairer is better. And friends of mine from high school who grew up in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China, used to worry about how tan they were getting from being in sports or marching band.

Luckily, I'm not blond, and I've got enough Mexican blood in me that I tan easily, so I shouldn't stand out too much when we visit India. Quid, if it makes you feel any better, merchants in Taiwan will rip you off even if you're Taiwanese, if you don't have the proper accent or slang. My friend used to complain that she had to visit family in Taiwan every few years to keep from sounding like she was from America (and therefore rich enough to afford the 200% markup).

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
My father has been told he speaks English well for a Cuban.

Frankly, he speaks English well for an American.

Darlin, that's nothing! I've been told that I speak English well (on more than one occasion), and how long have I been in this country.

Um, I was born in the US, and English is my only language. In fact, it was my major in college.

I guess I look "ethnic", huh? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
On a semi-random note, I'd just like to add that black men use chemical relaxers too. From age 15 to present (age 23), my hair has gone from: cut every two weeks in order to be kept very short, to grown to semi-afro, to corn rows, to cut short again, to semi-afro again, to short locks, to corn rows again, to its current state of relaxed and tied back. I haven't paid for any hair styling in as long as I can remember though. I get my mommy to do it. [Big Grin]

I am conscious of the fact that relaxers weaken hair though. It's recommended that you use them no more frequently than every 6 weeks... I usually do more like every 8. In the mean time I use shampoos and conditioners designed to strengthen. Also, I use a relaxer that is meant for children, so in theory shouldn't be as harsh. There's some breakage nonetheless, but my hair is still very thick and healthy. If it ever gets to be a major problem I'll just cut it short again. I hope it doesn't come to that though, because I really like it long.

And that's as much as I can talk about my hair care concerns without becoming a metrosexual! [Razz]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've found that having one's hair chemically treated by a good salon actually does reduce breakage. I have my hair colored (from my natural dirty blonde to the red that everyone thinks is my natural color). I often don't wait six weeks. Actually, before I go on vacations, I often have the color refreshed, even if it's only been as little as two weeks (if I'm going to be gone for a while or am going to be in conditions that will probably strip my color a signficant amount). My hair is in better condition now than it was in before I started coloring it (five years ago). I alternated between having it done and doing it myself. It was definitely better when I had it done, and now that I've been having a hairstylist do it for almost a year, I'm amazed at the difference.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that's as much as I can talk about my hair care concerns without becoming a metrosexual! [Razz]
[ROFL]

Syn, I like your hair short. Though I'm curious what it would look like if you ever grew it out, let us know if you try that!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Bush:
There was a great book written in 1961 about this subject:

Great Book

[ROFL] Too true.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the reason everyone tends to think "exotic" is good, whatever that happens to be, is that you get better genes by marrying someone genetically less related to you. Less chance of both having any of the same recessive harmful genes. Perhaps it's actually a trait that enhances the genetic fitness of offspring, to be attracted to people who look really different than you and your family. Who knows? It would be hard to design a study to prove or disprove that bit of speculation.

I heard someone say once that children of mixed parentage are always really beautiful. My first thought was to dismiss that as untrue, but then I started thinking of the people I know whose parents were from very different parts of the world, and my anecdotal evidence sure seems to bear it out. They almost all are strikingly attractive. [Smile] Hybrid vigor* ftw!

*of course, humans are all one species so it's not literally anything like hybrid vigor, but sorta the same idea, kinda. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I got into this sort of discussion at a party once. There was a fellow there with a blond ponytail and a Ph.D. in anthropology, who got a lot of help with his schooling because his grandmother got him official Native American tribal membership. He was really surprised that I semeed to know anything at all about Native American history and some of the new theories about life in pre-recorded history America. I usually try to take it as a compliment to my looks when men underestimate my intelligence. Makes it easier to avoid beating them with a shovel. *shrug* Anyway, I had read a few articles on the subject, because it interests me.

I basically ended up introducing myself as a 'proud North American mut' which really pleased another fellow involved in the conversation, who was also of mixed race (judging by appearances, mind you). Purebloods... well, take dogs for example. Many breeds of purebred dogs have developed pronounced genetic negatives. Many retrievers have serious hip problems, I forget which type of dog it is that has a tendedncy for their brains to keep growing after their skull us fused, making them crazy.

Genetic diversity is a really good thing.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard someone say once that children of mixed parentage are always really beautiful. My first thought was to dismiss that as untrue, but then I started thinking of the people I know whose parents were from very different parts of the world, and my anecdotal evidence sure seems to bear it out. They almost all are strikingly attractive.
I was talking about this with my grandfather once. He's a rancher and was saying that when you mate cows from different stocks, their children are usually very strong, hearty, and have nice coats. They generally seem to take the best qualities of both parents. He said that it didn't continue into the second generation.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so interesting! I wonder what would be the genetic explanation for the second generation not having the same quality.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a guess, but here you go:

If you have two parents (generation zero) who do not have any common alleles for a given trait, all of their children will be hybrids for that trait. If mom has an "aa" genotype for a trait, and dad has "AA," then all the children will be "Aa". That's the first generation.

Then when the first generation has kids, statistically half of their children would be hybrids like their parents, and half would be homozygous like their grandparents. So overall there would be fewer hybrids in the stock. If there are four kids, two would be "Aa", one would be "AA" and the last would be "aa". That's the second generation.

If "Aa" happens to provide some genetic advantage over "AA" and "aa," then you might see the results Amanecer describes.

That could be one explanation, but I'm not a biologist and someone else can probably offer a better one.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
[from the husband, Abhi].

As an Indian, I feel the need to object to what seems like a pretty racist post to me. Not the discussion that has come since, but the post by its own seems quite racist and oversimplifies the issue.

The idea of fair skin being beautiful and dark skin not so much is not peculiar to India, or Asia. You only have to watch Disney moves [pre 2000] to see how the princess and prince are invariably pale as candles, and the "evil one" is dark. Hell, take Star Wars. The light side, the dark side. See?

In almost every culture, white is symbolic of purity, and its opposite, black, the symbol of impurity. This presents itself n various aspects of life: religion, art, skin preference, etc.

While I personally would not use fair & lovely [i'm very fair for an Indian already], I wouldn't make a sweeping moral judgement on people who do. It's just a choice that they make. Just like women who get boob jobs / nose jobs / butt jobs etc. I wouldn't do it, I'd discourage my friends from doing it, but ultimately, it's that individual's choice, and their decision.

Now to address your claims about India point by point.

1. Isn't this true in the US as well? Just look up the history of People magazine's sexiest people alive. How many of these fit the greek ideals of beautiful? How many are dark skinned people? Halle Berry? Please... she just looks like a very tanned white person. Her features are almost completely european / caucasian.

The claim that "in India, light skin equals beauty" is rubbish. Sure, there are people who'd agree with that, but there's people who disagree with that too. So please don't speak for the rest of us.

2. Ummm what? I have never, in my seventeen years of living in India, heard someone insult someone else by calling them "dark". You might be referring to the term "Kalmuhi" which is often mistranslated means dark-mouthed/faced, but it actually comes from Kal = bad [distinct from kala = black/dark], muhi = mouthed.

3. yeah. see point 1. amongst the most popular Indian actors of all time is Rajnikant, who is about the same complexion as Denzel Washington. It'd also be interesting if you'd do the same survey in the US, you'd probably get an identical list.
Oh, and I'm Indian, and I think Salma Hayek is way, way hotter than Jolie.

Having said that, I'll admit openly that I would probably never date a black woman. Not because I'm racist, but because I just don't find typical african features aesthetically attractive. Does that mean I'm racist? I don't think so. Many of my close friends from college are Africans, and they wouldn't call me racist either.

4. Are you insinuating that American models resemble what the average american looks like? Do I need to remind you that more than 50% of the american population suffers from obesity? How many Obese models do you really have? It's not just America either, take any country, and take their models... they're basically the classical conception of beauty in that culture.
Indians, being Aryans, also idealize the blonde hair, fair skin and blue eyes. And how many americans look like Brad Pitt? less than .5% i think.

5. The "quip" against Sonia Gandhi for being Italian is because she is in politics, and was in the running for the Prime F***ing Minister. When Katerina Kaif runs for PM, i'm sure she'll face the same criticism. And, look through a couple of newspapers will you, most of the "locals" -as you so politely put them- love her.

6. I guess your point is that we should all be buying stock in Unilever?

7. Yes, and white people go to tanning beds / beaches.

8. I accept your challenge. How do you want me to put you in touch with my father? I'd say I'm "wheatish complexion" even though I'm naturally fairer than a LOT of white people. It's just cultural vocab. thing. Really.

9. Guess what, white people are treated much better than Africans in the US too.

Perhaps I should have a more "civil" tone, but this poster is completely unapologetic about her uninformed, racist and ignorant comments.

When I was younger, my "dark" father taught me that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others. perhaps I can impart this lesson to you, Altariel.

I can tell from your post that you're white, you probably read a book, and suddenly feel some sort of "outrage" at how colored people are being treated etc. But take a look at yourself. You're doing the same.

[edited on Revka's suggestion]

[ February 05, 2007, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Abhi ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
he would have had some trouble finding an Indian girl to marry, since he was so fair-skinned. Women apparently see it as something of a disgrace to be darker (and therefore, "uglier") than their husbands.

Actually, I said my mom was worried about me being too fair because women generally want to be fairer than their husbands.

But I still love you :)

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Alt isn't white...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
As an Indian, I feel the need to object to what seems like a pretty racist post to me. Not the discussion that has come since, but the post by its own seems quite racist and oversimplifies the issue.

Perfectly reasonable. As someone who has actually lived in the culture in question, you undoubtedly know more about the inner workings of it than outsiders do.

And most of your post was similarly rational and reasonable. However, when you started calling Alt a "total idiot" and similar comments, you crossed the line. As for this:

quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
Perhaps I should have a more "civil" tone, but this poster is completely unapologetic about her uninformed, racist and ignorant comments.

When I was younger, my "dark" father taught me that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others. perhaps I can impart this lesson to you, Altariel.

I can tell from your post that you're white, you probably read a book, and suddenly feel some sort of "outrage" at how colored people are being treated etc. But take a look at yourself. You're doing the same.

it simply proved that you are jumping to unwarranted (and faulty) conclusions, and then using them as an excuse to toss civility out the window.

We like divergent opinions around here. I thought the beginning of your post was interesting and informative. [Smile]

But we also expect posters to be courteous to one another, even when -- maybe especially when -- they disagree. Nor is this the first time that Hatrackers have pointed out this expectation to you. An expectation you agreed to when you signed up.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have half a mind to say that she is white just to make a point, but, meh.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Abhi:
And most of your post was similarly rational and reasonable. However, when you started calling Alt a "total idiot" and similar comments, you crossed the line. As for this:

We like divergent opinions around here. I thought the beginning of your post was interesting and informative. :)

But we also expect posters to be courteous to one another, even when -- maybe especially when -- they disagree. Nor is this the first time that Hatrackers have pointed out this expectation to you. An expectation you agreed to when you signed up.

Yes, I guess I got a little carried away, but this isn't about a difference of opinion. It's a particular person making generalized remarks about 1 billion people.

I guess I was also surprised by the fact that no-one before me really questioned the inherently racist and problematic nature of the post.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I did, though in a different way than you.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.