FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thom Yorke solo stuff

Author Topic: Thom Yorke solo stuff
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Been listening to some Thom Yorke solo stuff recently and wanted to talk about it. [Smile]

First off...The Eraser(his new solo album). Very awesome. Not quite the caliber of my favorite Radiohead albums, but a great listen. I dig electronic music, but I especially like Yorke's own take on it. I couldn't even tell you a specific song on the album that I LOVE, I just sort of pop it in and listen.

I downloaded this one album called Spitting Feathers. I don't really know the history of it, or story surrounding it. It has 5 tracks on the album, one of which(Harrowdown Hill) is an extended version of the one on The Eraser. Which now that I think about it, is an awsome song, and may be my favorite on either album.

The other thing I found, and possibly the coolest, is a live solo performance from 2002 called the "Bridge School Benefit Concert". It's just Thom with an acoustic guitar and a piano doing like 15 radiohead tracks. It's AWESOME. I highly recommend people go and find this. I *ehem* found it on a torrent site, but you may or may not be able to buy it somewhere. It's really interesting hearing a lot of the more electronic songs being done with just one acoustic guitar. They sound fantastic. I think someone like Twinky would really like this album. i.e.-someone who doesn't dig their electronic stuff as much.

On a side note, I was browsing through an older Radiohead thread and saw some comments I made about Amnesiac not working for me as an album in the same way some of the others do. I found this highly ironic since I've been listening to Amnesiac A LOT recently.

[ February 04, 2007, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I *ehem* found it on a torrent site
Thief! If thom was to catch you, he'd mope all over you.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually kind of like The Eraser, in a Boards of Canada sort of way -- but I really like the few live acoustic takes of Eraser stuff I've seen. I'll look into those, thanks for the heads-up!

By the way, I'm definitely into some electronic stuff -- check out Autechre.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

well, i sort more meant it in a

quote:
someone who doesn't dig their electronic stuff as much
sort of way.

I remember you saying that's the reason you didn't like Hail to the Thief. Which I mostly agree with you on, for that particular album.

let me know if you can't find it. I don't mind putting it up on ftp.

Also, Spitting Feathers is an electronic album. didn't really mention that in the above post.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Thom would probably not care because when they released their last album "Hail To The Thief," the band encouraged fans to download it and not pay for it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't dig the electronic stuff on Hail to the Thief. That's true.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Although Hail to the Thief actually is much more guitar-centric than anything they've done since Ok Computer.....

As to Thom Yorke -- I think he needs his band. I like The Eraser. Quite a bit, actually. But liking it quite a bit -- compared to how much I've loved most of what Radiohead have done -- is fairly disappointing.

I listen to it from time to time, and there is some very good stuff there... It just... isn't...

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Atoms for Peace is my favorite track off The Eraser.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Actually Thom would probably not care because when they released their last album "Hail To The Thief," the band encouraged fans to download it and not pay for it.

That *may* have been facetiousness.

As for York playing Radiohead stuff solo, what's the deal with that? Isn't it a little hinky when the lead man goes cowboy with the pieces the group worked out together? I don't really like that. Plus York is a bit of a blow-hard/diva- but a good musician and a great songwriter.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're putting words in his mouth, I think Thom'd be a tad peeved that people keep missing the e off Yorke. [Razz]
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I just came back on here to state again how awesome the bridge school cd is. So you all should find it. NOW.

I also think it's kind of interesting/ironic that I've now had The Bends on repeat in my car for at least a week now. I still can't say it's my favorite by any means, but I missed it. And now I'm making up for lost time.

[ February 09, 2007, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.