FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best alien species

Author Topic: Best alien species
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Spinning off from the Astronomy and Religion thread...

My nomination for best (most interesting) alien race goes to the Mitchegai in Kren of the Mitchegai. **Gross-out warning and spoiler warning** Three stages: egg, juvenile, adult. Juveniles are herbivorous and not sentient. Adults are carnivorous; there's no other animal life, so they eat juveniles, alive. Their neurons are such that neurons migrate from a special digestive sack to the brain of the eater: eating someone lets you incorporate that someone's learning and memories. **end warnings**

I'd also nominate the Oankali (Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rites). **Spoilers** Three sexes: male, female, ooloi. The ooloi manipulates genes from the zygote. They can even incorporate genes from outside their species. They find human genes both useful and, well, hot: they want to do whatever it is they do (I guess you'd call it mating) with us. **end spoilers**

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Grendals from Legacy of Heorot. I'm not giving any spoilers.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The aliens down on the planet in Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on both the Oankali and grendels.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
eating someone lets you incorporate that someone's learning and memories.
There can be only one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

A couple of years ago on the other side of HR, OSC gave the Oankali as an example of truely alien aliens.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
There can be only one.
If only the highlander movie makers had really believed that statement.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I agree with Oankali too.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:
There can be only one.
[Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
There can be only one.
[ROFL]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirding (Fourthing?) the Oankali.

Also, Kay Kenyon's Ahtra from her book Tropic of Creation are pretty awesome too.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather fond of the aliens in C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
My first tendency is to say that humans are the most interesting alien species. Probably the best, by any catagory. (If we were considering ALL possibile species, that is.)

But, since that probably won't fly, I'll give something that's close to alien but isn't: The Cylons. They're not human, and though they are the creations of humanity and look very much human, they're different in significant ways. Like the whole "plugging a computer jack in your wrist" thing. Or the many spoiler-heavy parts of them.

Technically not "aliens", maybe, but they're not human, they're partly another species, and theough they've designed themselves (or some of them) to look and be able to breed with humans, they're still very different. And they CHOSE to be humanesque, they didnt' have to be.

So... I say the Cylons!

By Your Command.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Hey, if you like an alien race, tell us why!

I'll answer regarding the grendels. No actual spoilers. The grendels are super-fast predators with no fear of mankind. As the blurb says, when the human colonists try to make themselves safe, it's out of the frying pan into the fire, because of what we don't know about them.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Klingons always appealed to me
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the Tiresians, also known as the Robotech Masters. Immortal, they ruled an empire spanning the Local Group of galaxies for tens of thousands of years. And hey, three in one society... think of the possibilities! Mmmmm... Protoculture...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Others have talked about the Oankali, so I'll speak to the Ahtra.

They're fascinating because of how similar they are to humans...and yet so vastly different. The similarities lead each race to believe they can predict and understand the other, but they are both wrong and the results of being so wrong are disastrous for both species.

Also, I like that Kenyon doesn't have the Star Trek disease of assuming that every member of an alien race has to have only one personality and one set of characteristics (e.g., all Klingons are warlike) The ahtra have individuals just like humans do, and those individuals have individual failings just like us.

Plus, their method of reproduction is extremely alien and fascinating. I can't give details, though, because the working out of exactly how that reproduction takes place is integral to the plot.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be an unorthodox choice but I choose "The Protoss" from StarCraft.

Their lore is just awesome, and the way they are presented in the game is way cool. The Zerg are also really cool but too similar to The Borg for my tastes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoss

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It might be an unorthodox choice but I choose "The Protoss" from StarCraft.

Their lore is just awesome, and the way they are presented in the game is way cool. The Zerg are also really cool but too similar to The Borg for my tastes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoss

En taro Adun!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Niven's Pierson's Puppeteers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how could I forget the Narn!

The Narn, philosophers turned warrior race from the Centauri occupation, in under 200 years conquered an empire of their own and became one of the Big Five galactic superpowers.

And just look at their ships!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
The dude in the overcoat in Fallout 2.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wrote Legacy of Heorot?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Niven, Pournelle, and Barnes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I have a favorite alien species, but I know the creepiest to me: the Hippae from Sheri Tepper's Grass. The humans ride them as mounts for a brutal parody of fox-hunting, but it is not the mounts that are being ridden. Add a perversion of human sexuality the memory of which is twisted apart afterward, and *shudder.*
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The aliens from Sparrow.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

What's that?
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Lisa.

They were creepy awesome.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I Nominate him
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, the Gallifreyans. Of course, we don't know much about the race as a whole, though whether that matters much anymore is up for debate.

I also love the Tines race from Fire Upon the Deep. I liked figuring out what was going on early in the story, before it became apparent what the Tines were.

The Gethenian race from Left Hand of Darkness has a fascinating system of reproduction. The short story "Coming of Age in Karhide" explains this system from the point of view of a pubescent Gethenian.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Long live the Time Lords!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The scramblers from Peter Watts' Blindsight. I like them for their incredible, terrifying efficiency, and for what they show us about humans.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Summary (because I want to read some good books!):

Mitchegai, from Kren of the Mitchegai
Oankali, from Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rites
Grendels, from The Legacy of Heorot and Beowulf's Children
Tines, from Fire Upon the Deep (why?)
Ahta, from Tropic of Creation
Aliens, from Chanur (why?)
Scramblers, from Blindsight
Dude in overcoat, from Fallout 2 (video?)
Puppeteers, from Ringworld & sequels, and other Niven stories
Hippae from Sheri Tepper's Grass
Gethenians, from Left Hand of Darkness
Aliens, from Sparrow (why? Who's the author?)

Video:
Cylons, from Battlestar Galactica
Klingons and Species 8472, from Star Trek
Narn, from Babylon 5
Time Lords, from Doctor Who

Games:
Protoss, from Starcraft

Other:
Survivor. (I hate to play into that, but hey, he was listed)

I'll also add pequeninos from Speaker for the Dead, although surely everyone here's read that already.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sparrow is by Mary Doria Russel.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Tines, from Fire Upon the Deep (why?)
I really don't want to say anything because the reveal is so wonderfully done that I don't want to spoil it at all for anybody.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That's why I was vague.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:

Hell yeah!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Leviathan's from "Farscape". Specifically Moya and Talyn, obviously. Living ships: frelling drad.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The aliens from Sparrow.

Which race? Agreed though, they are cool/creepy/intriguing.

All time best alien species ever....

Zem the Mattresses of the planet Squornshellous.

That's not to be confused with Zim, of course, who is of the second best alien species ever, the Irkens.

Hmm, thats quite a coincidence. I shall name my child Zym, so that he/she may be of the third best alien species ever: Vonk.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

For those that haven't read the Sparrow or its sequel Chldren of God, there are two alien species on the planet Rakhat.

The Runa are a peaceful, low tech vegetarian people.

The Jana'ata are a carnivorous species and the rulers of the planet.

I don't want to say much more because I don't want to delve into spoilers. They're good books, I didn't like them as much as some, but the language stuff is interesting (the main character is a linguist who goes to the planet after first contact, which comes in the form of us picking up the sound of beautiful, alien music originating from the planet).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.