FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey all, just a note

Author Topic: Hey all, just a note
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I've been a bit oggerish lately so I should apologize- which I do. [Big Grin]

I've been a little stressed out because of a number of things. I have a cracked disk in my lower back that has been seriously effecting my life for the past few months, making it difficult for me to walk, go to the gym, play my guitar, or drive, sit, lie down, etc. Anyway, the constant pain has mostly abated, and now it's just an inconvenience. It really put a stress on my vacation and dealing with family, so I didn't get much of a Christmas this year. Since I hate Christmas anyway, as you may know, this just kind of made things unbearable at home, and I came back to school only a couple of days later to sulk.

Also I have been having trouble because of this at work and school. Mainly not being able to do my job properly- since I work at a teen center where I am supposed to be able to move speakers, play pool, generally mill around and be more youthful than I have been. This thing is making me feel like an old man who can't get on and off the couch without some serious forethought. It sucks, basically. Also I am an instrumentalist, as most of you know, and I have had real trouble with simple things like holding my guitar or my Gamba, getting it out of the case and lifting the case. This has made my whole life, and even the things I enjoy (like going to the movies) a chore and a half to do. Ironic that depression is a common cause of back pain, and back pain sucks the joy out of every aspect of your life.

I have been depressed (not too deeply) for a while, but things are starting to come together a little bit. I'm now thankfully totally off the painkillers (which make me feel bad), but I am still taking tylenol pm to get to sleep, and drinking too much coffee during the day to power through. I have that horrible motor like quality in my personality that keeps me going all day, but when I get home, often times my body assaults me with complaints. I stay up too much of the day and eschew sleep even when I am too tired to concentrate. I am often compelled to keep going, to try to "catch up" then end up sleeping through half of the next day in a coma. It's a weird time for me.

That all said, I've left quite a few loose threads (so to speak [Razz] ) and I won't be in much of a state in the near future to participate here like a civilized human being. I'll still check around, but I won't be dependable with anything for a while. Until things get back on track with me here irl, I'll have to unofficially check out of here.

Good times though everybody- see you around.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you feel better soon. Back pain bites. Go to bed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to you. My wife has chronic back pain (along with a laundry list of other ailments). I can definitely sympathise.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Take it easy, Orincoro.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - that is sad to hear, Orincoro. Are the doctors not able to do anything for the cracked disk except wait and see if it mends on it's own? What happened that cracked it?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there! A thousand and one hugs headed your way!
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly! Feel better, and take care of yourself.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A cracked disk?

Disks are soft....vertabre crack though, and disks herniate.

My wife has 2 blown disks, and I have three in a row, so I know what you mean.

That's us...body by Rice Crispies....

Snap!
Crackle!
Pop!

(that's the sound of us in the morning, getting up [Smile] )

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Good luck to you.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks All. To Farmgirl- my understanding is that the treatment is either nothing, physical therapy, or surgery. There's no real middle ground beyond just letting the disk heal, or fixing it surgically. Luckily the nerve didn't get pinched badly enough to effect my bladder or other sensitive parts, or else surgery would be a must. As it is, backs are hard to treat because we use them ALL the time- so I just have to try and go easy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.