FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunshine — Danny Boyle

Author Topic: Sunshine — Danny Boyle
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/sunshine/hd/

First trailer to get me this excited since Children of Men. Danny Boyle and Cillian Murphy reunite in another insane independent sci-fi film.

This looks like it may be what movies like Armageddon and The Core and The Day After Tomorrow wish they could have been [Smile] An event-driven sci-fi story, but told by some seriously good filmmakers who know how to dig deeper and make their movie far more than it needs to be.

I can hardly wait.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, this is actor Mark Strong's SECOND movie called Sunshine [Smile]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0835016/

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Hmm. Apparently all the Englishmen who make zombie-apocalypse movies are coming out with new stuff this year:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/hotfuzz/hd/

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Danny Boyle. Trainspotting and 28 Days Later are both high up there on my favorite movies list. Millions was fantastic too. Heck, I even like The Beach. This movie looks awesome. Except why is the sun dying? I hope there's some form of a plausible explanation for that one. Barring that little suspension of disbelief, I'm super excited to see this.

On a side note, I think they should stick the Requiem for a Dream music in ALL movie trailers to make them awesome.

*is reminded of The Two Towers trailer with the Requiem remix*

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, a Hatrack poster is featured in the trailer! [Big Grin]

Definitely looks promising. I would like an explanation as to what on earth could make our sun "burn out" in 50 years . . . and what we could possibly do about it! (Yeah, the wikiarticle says something about a nuclear bomb "the size of Kansas." Pfft. Please.) I want realistic science, not just snazzy special effects.

Especially if it is going to have lots of people screaming and getting blown up. [Razz]

Oh, and I really hope "and at the end, they get to meet the source of all life in the universe" is a joke!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread!

"Sunshine" seems alittle cliched but the trailer is absolutely gorgeous. "28 Days Later" nearly gave me a heartattack towards the end and "Sunshine" looks like its going to have some amazing action-packed, suspense-filled madness to keep me up with nightmares.

And I'm soo excited about "Hot Fuzz." I absolutely LOVE "Shaun of the Dead" (the jukebox-pool stick scene never gets old.) I've already told my brother he has to get me in for the preview screening.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Hot Fuzz looks awesome too.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
pretty cool trailer, for sure.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and I really hope "and at the end, they get to meet the source of all life in the universe" is a joke!
Danny's Intro gives the full statement, "The source of all creation in the Universe which for us is the Sun."

The trailer looked fairly decent, but I'm mostly interested in it because I believe that Danny Boyle will make this much more interesting than some of the other similar types of films usually filled with cliche characters and plotlines where the heroes are in a race against time to save the earth from some catastrophe.

Heck, even if the plot of the movie is unbelievable or uninteresting, I'll still enjoy it if it has as good a score as 28 Days Later had.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that 28 WEEKS Later also comes out this year, but it's not being done by Boyle.

I'm looking forward to Sunshine. It's been awhile since we've had a good ole' fashioned disaster flick that requires some wacky plan to save the world. And Boyle might actually do it right. The Sun going nova is about the only thing left, though I'm still looking forward to the movie that depicts life when Yellowstone erupts.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently re-watched Shallow Grave, a fabulous early Boyle film starring Christopher Eccleston (nutter in the attic!) and Ewan McGregor (smart alec who gets beaten. A lot). Just wonderful. I liked it much better now than I did when I was 20, so maybe I should give Trainspotting another go. I used to have real issues with stories that didn't have a morally pure character. [Big Grin] Time flies, ne?

I hope he keeps bringing us those nail-biters.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... though I'm still looking forward to the movie that depicts life when Yellowstone erupts.
Didn't you see the one they did on — I think — the Discovery channel?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah but where was Morgan Freeman narrating? And Beau Bridges playing the president? And better and more outlandish CGI than that, come on. I want Dante's Peak and Volcano's mutant love child.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Give Trainspotting another try, Olivet! It has such creative dialogue. Don't forget to turn on the subtitles. The Scottish accents are very hard to follow sometimes and it will cause you to miss some really funny stuff.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
Let’s just hope this story is set far, far, far, far, far ahead in the future, it would make the sun dying out idea all the more plausible.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

it's set 50 years in the future.

I forgot Shallow Grave was also Boyle. I remember checking it out years ago, but assumed it was to see some early Ewen McGregor. Now I'm remembering it was both that AND to see early Boyle.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by camus:
quote:
Danny's Intro gives the full statement, "The source of all creation in the Universe which for us is the Sun."
Oy. That's better? I mean, I assume he misspoke, but clearly our (fairly young) star is not "the source of all creation in the Universe." Interesting site, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The Sun going nova is about the only thing left, though I'm still looking forward to the movie that depicts life when Yellowstone erupts.

Not nova. (Which is good, both because it would happen to quickly for us to do much about it and because there would be nothing to DO.) "Dying" -- which I'm guessing means some outside force has artificially aged our sun.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

On a side note, I think they should stick the Requiem for a Dream music in ALL movie trailers to make them awesome.

That is perhaps my favorite piece of music ever recorded, but I didn't actually like the version in the trailer there. They played it too fast, and I didn't feel the "hair standing up on the back of my neck" feeling I usually get when I hear it.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I adored the trailer too, but the premise of the film makes "Armageddon" and "The Core" seem realistic and probable.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
. . . the premise of the film makes "Armageddon" and "The Core" seem realistic and probable.

Ah, so it's not just me.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's a disaster movie, when have ANY of the situations, and especially their solutions, seemd realistic and probable?
rivka
Member # 4859

Which is reason number three that I rarely watch disaster movies.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It's a disaster movie, when have ANY of the situations, and especially their solutions, seemd realistic and probable?

I agree with you entirely, it's just that this one takes the cake in sheer absurdity.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Hey, it's just a "what if THIS happened?" scenario. It doesn't have to be likely. It just needs to make us think, "Well, crap, what WOULD we do if that happened?"
Olivet
Member # 1104

Val-- It's in my queue. I should probably re-watch a lot of movies that I thought were good but found disturbing because the characters behaved in ways I found objectionable. (I was okay if I had one really 'good' one to root for.) Now I'm perfectly cool with the wall-to-wall ba***rd movies. Ah, middle age!

On Topic: After finally locating a trailer that would play for me, I think I'll put this one on my list of movies to watch for.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

It's interesting that they apparently made up the actors specifically to look like they were wearing no makeup.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It won't let me view the trailer. [Frown]

But if it has Cillian Murphy, I will watch it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother went to see it earlier today and LOVED it. We both dig movies but he's seen many more than I have and is a good judge. I'm even more intriged because he's not especially a sci-fi guy as I am. He's gonna force me to watch it with him this week.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks absolutely terrifying! *shudders*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good. It's very very Danny Boyle.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that none of my local theaters have this.

Sunshine?

Nope.

Paprika?

Nope.

Bratz?

Playing in ten local theaters.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There's one theater in all of Salt Lake Valley playing Sunshine (which probably means that it's the only one in the state, too).

Has anyone else seen it? I'm quite intrigued by it, even with the silly premise. It looks more like a cross between 2001 and Alien than The Core.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Fuzz is fabulous with great plot twists, spoofs and good "bad lines"

(We watched it last week) Incidentally both Peter Jackson and Cate Blanchett have uncredited parts.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I begged the hubby to take me to see this after EW rated it highly. He gave in even though it had "that mutant" in itb (Cillian Murphy).

It was absolutely amazing visually, on the big screen. I cannot emphasize this enough. Even m y Beloved agreed that it was one to see on the big screen.

The narrative was fairly tight, especially in the beginning. A cast of talented but not "big name" actors seemed to help, because even though Murphy seems to be Boyle's current actor of choice, you really got the idea that they were all just people. People with a very important job to do, who end up doing something else after falling prey to believably human impulses (in this case, I'd say curiosity was the biggie).

The last third slipped into been-there-done-that territory, but avoided complete cliche through the use of unusual visuals.

It provoked a physical response in me, especially early on. Shortness of breath and sweating. No foolin'. I was only distracted by stray thoughts once, when I caught myself wondering if he'd done something to CM's eyes in post-production in one scene. Maybe he really IS a mutant...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.