FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Smallville prediction

Author Topic: My Smallville prediction
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a take off from Marlozhan's "Smallville viewers are being subject to emotional abuse" thread. But I predict one of the last episodes will go something like this.

[Lana and Clark are in his barn. Lana's belly is HUGE with child. Suddenly she hunches over]

Lana: Clark I'm going to have this baby!

[We hear a "Voosh" sound obviously Clark going to find help.]

Lana: Clark?!

[After the paramedics come and she has a swift delivery they take her to the hospital where Clark and Lana have a moment.]

Lana: I'm dieing Clark... do you think now would be a good time to tell me your secret?

[There is a long pause with a popular pop music playing in the background. Clark has his famous sad expression pasted on his face]

Clark: The meteor shower that killed your parents... I was in that meteor shower, I was sent here from another planet. I have super human strength I'm faster than a speeding bullet and .... I can fly....

[Lana smiles and dies.]

I know the ending was lame and there is some sillyness but I seriously think Lana is going to die and the only way she is going to know his secret is when she is dying. That's how mean the writers are going to be to us. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Any one else have predictions?
They better have more of the Justice League or it will be lame.. I wonder if Wonder Woman is going to be in it!!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Lana would live through that, but with memory loss.

Don't know how they'd work Wonder Woman in, since Lois already wore that uniform when (iirc) she went undercover as an exotic dancer.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone was watching last week, but Lana should know something is up now. So unless they play the Lana is an idiot card (not likely) or Lana loses her memory yet again (likely), maybe she'll figure the secret out. *crosses fingers* Please let it end already.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am willing to bet 100 to 1 that Lana will discover Clark's secret again this season, but will then be injured by some accident (or child birth) that leads to a coma, followed by waking up with amnesia.

However, they will actually let her know Clark's secret for 2-3 episodes, before the accident.

While she did know, she will actually handle it well. She will just be starting to work through her past years of anger toward Clark, when the accident happens.

During the several episodes following her amnesia, Clark will be debating about whether to tell her the secret again. Of course, us viewers will be kicking him in the face, because he now knows that Lana will take it well, yet he will, for some reason unknown to us, not tell her. WHY???

Because it would violate one of the fundamental laws of science:

Kal-elsecret + LanaLangaware = paradox.

This paradox cannot occur. If it does, time itself must rewrite itself, or intervene to take such knowledge away from Lana, to prevent the unraveling of the space-time continuum.

You see, when Clark originally proposed to Lana, the reason Jor-el actually changed things was not for the reasons the show gave, but actually because he fully understood this fundamental law. Jor-el knew that if he did not rewrite history, space and time as we know it would unravel.

So, we shouldn't be so angry at the writers. They want Clark to tell Lana, but they know they can't violate one of the most basic laws of the universe. Hollywood doesn't have that much power.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I laughed, Marlozhan. Totally makes sense now. Can't deny that science. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because it would violate one of the fundamental laws of science:

Kal-elsecret + LanaLangaware = paradox

This is merely a subset of the general law: Find out the truth about CK=S, and you will die, lose your memory, be banished outside of time, or be turned into a small dog. (Exceptions to this law: anyone who spends enough time in his aura. So, his parents, Lois (but only after they have been dating awhile). Oh, and Tempus, but he's not from our time period. Ditto H.G. Wells.)

Clearly, most human subconsciouses are aware of the danger, and work incredibly hard to protect their higher brains from discovering the truth.

This theory may not entirely work inside the Smallville city limits. Seriously, what does?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Lana won't die because she's an established character in the DC universe (though not an important one). Chloe, on the other hand, had no place in the Superman mythos until Smallville...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And Smallville has always been so very respectful of the historical Superman mythos.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

In certain respects it has. Such as, not killing off characters that exist in the comics. That's the line which I believe they will not cross. Note that Jonathan Kent doesn't count because he was also killed off before Clarke became Superman in the movie continuity.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Which movie continuity? Anyway, you can't have it both ways. Either they are bound by the comics or the movies (or both, I suppose, although that'd be a trick -- as would be choosing which comic continuity to stick with), not whichever best suits them this second.

Smallville has tossed historical Superman continuity out the window from the very first episode. Killing off Lana wouldn't even be a blip.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I have to disagree. While Smallville has been quite liberal with the continuity, which is no surprise, it is still supposed to be the story of Clark Kent before he became (some version of) the Superman we all know and love, and nothing in the series changed that. He is still Kal-el, the son of Jor-el, from the planet Krypton. He still has the same powers, and the same human family. Lex Luthor is still his arch nemesis. Etc. Killing someone who is supposed to still be alive in his adult years is much more than a blip compared to insignificant things like having him meet members of the Justice League or know Lex as a teen. At least, that's what I think. Smallville was never really bound by any particular continuity, but the writers try to be respectful to all of them. So I think Lana is as safe as Lois or Jimmy Olsen, or Lex.

And Jonathan is dead in ALL the movies, which is probably why they felt it was okay to kill him in Smallville.

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

She IS an adult. [Big Grin]
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know why Lana dying would be mean of the writers. I just can't comprehend that thought.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I think?

Lois and Perry White and Jimmy Olsen were never in the comics until the radio show became a hit. Then they introduced them in the comics.

Chloe should be introduced in the comics.

I have no idea how they'd do it--maybe wait until the series is over, and then have Chloe show up, an adult who used to know Clark when he was younger, and knows his secret.

Or make her a friend of Superboy's, if the latest incarnation of Superboy is still alive following Infinite Crisis, which I haven't finished yet.

Or associate her with Young Justice, if that title's still being published.

(It's hard staying up on comics when you only read Grapic Novels.)

As for Clark's parents, there were times in the comics where both his parents were dead, and times where just his Dad was dead. The comics have been all over the place on that one.

I'm more interested in riviting stories than staying true to this or that version of the mythology.

The problem comes in that this story is supposed to be a origin to the character we know, which makes it a sort of a "prequel." But the more they stray from any established version of the character, the less we feel like things are leading to a place we're familiar with.

In other words, I think the show long ago gave up trying to be the history of Superman.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:

In other words, I think the show long ago gave up trying to be the history of Superman.

Your 100% correct there. I'm still waiting for the real Clark to show up and expose his evil twin, or find out that some new type of kryptonite was shoved up his rear end during the crash.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Unicornwhisperer, I like your prediction, except that before Lana dies, she screams and says to Clark, "Get away from me you monster!" Then, flushed with the shame and emotion of her rejection, Clark looses control of his powers and incinerates Lana with his heat vision. The End.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Chloe should be introduced in the comics.

I heard that DC did buy the rights to use Chloe in the comics and had plans to do so back around March 2006, although I haven't heard anything since then. I too would like to see her introduced into the comics universe.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

quote:
Originally posted by Mig:
Unicornwhisperer, I like your prediction, except that before Lana dies, she screams and says to Clark, "Get away from me you monster!" Then, flushed with the shame and emotion of her rejection, Clark looses control of his powers and incinerates Lana with his heat vision. The End.

[ROFL] followed by [Party]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

quote:
Originally posted by Mig:

Mig that is too awesome!

Steven, I just said that it would be mean for the writers to ONLY let Lana know of his secret if she is dying. [Big Grin] I don't think it would be mean for the writers to have her die.... nah... she needs to die off so Clark and Lois can finally get together the way it SHOULD be. I'm sick of this Lana and Clark lameness.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wish Lana would die. It would finally put an end to a "romance" that began ok, dragged out, got silly, got stupid, and then gor boring.

I think they have wrecked the storyline from the start. Lana and Clark were barely ever together, for all they talk about their history...and when they got together it was really too late. They should have gotten together, had a real relationship, broken up for real reasons, and then moved on. Now Lana is becoming the wedge to drive Clark and Lex apart.

I'm eager for this to progress to the Superman level. The characters aren't kids anymore -- they aren't even in school anymore. (I think...correct me if I'm wrong and one of the characters is still in college.)

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well the main cast is still in college technically, though we haven't seen it since last season. Jimmy is sort of an unknown, not that he's terribly important for Smallville.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Chloe seems to have become the secretary for the Justice League of America. Clark is a fool not to realize she is his true love; she has proven herself to be the most faithful friend a superhero could possibly want to have. But at least now Chloe has some compensation. Maybe someone else in the JLA will go for her. I can't see her marrying Jimmy Olsen. Like he seems to have finally realized, he is just the rebound boyfriend.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
Lana has taken on the role of Lex so obviously, one wonders if her super power is to soak up boyfriends angst and personality. It explains everything!

Lex just muffed it, he lied to Lana! So is Cloe a super hacker or is she just a latent freak?

Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Her power is a super inability to get over Clark. Or was I the only one who saw that in that last moment between Chloe and Clark?
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Hey he is a hunky guy, lot of women have that affliction.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

My husband and I agree -- whether or not the writers give her an *additional* power or not, the meteor infection really does explain Chloe's unbelievable hacking power! [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to have some explanation as to why she can routinely hack basically any system ever besides the Plot Power.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on. Its so obvious what they are going to do, well it couldn't be more obvious unless the difference was something idiotic--like wearing glasses and not.

Lana will find out the truth, figuring it out all on her own.

Her unborn child will be threatened by some soon to be deceased bad guy, as a way to get the truth out of her.

For the sake of her child, she will never acknowledge that she knows the truth, playing the stupid little farm girl, even to Clark.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"While Smallville has been quite liberal with the continuity, which is no surprise, it is still supposed to be the story of Clark Kent before he became (some version of) the Superman we all know and love, and nothing in the series changed that."

The character, maybe. Only he can't have a secret identity when he does become Superman since everyone has seen him without his glasses since day one. And he's already got a history with Lois and Lex, so the second he flies up they won't be saying "Look, it's Superman!" it'll be "Clark, what are you doing?"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering how they're going to fool anyone when nobody's seen Clark Kent WITH glasses! Superman will have to be the one wearing glasses. [Smile]
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

It is an issue, but we have seen Lex loose big chunks of identity before, and I believe Lana is one of those(in the DC universe) that knows that Clark is Superman, as is Lois, I am not up on my DC, for some reason it never seemed that interesting. (Superman's five flavors of kryptonite plots, Batman's six villain rogue gallery) what makes Smallville work is that we still care about the people, as long as we do the show will work, so long as no irreparable continuity breaches occur.

Still Lana now has all the tools she needs to realize Clark is Kryptonian, she knows he has powers like the aliens she has been in intimate contact with and she knows he is not meteor infected, so it is his natural state. She also has been at ground zero for far too many Clark interventions not to put it together. Unless we are postulating that she is an idiot. Yes Clark has cast doubt on several vulnerable occasions, but previously there was always the 'I have no secret' option, now that is gone since Lana knows Cloe knows 'the secret' so it seems pretty clear that Lana is going to figure it out, and then not marry Lex in order to protect it.

Stephan
Member # 7549

My prediction? The baby is Clark's. I think Kryptonian fetuses will end up having much longer gestation periods. Either that or the baby is some kind of experiment of Lex's, maybe even infected with meteor by him on purpose.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

What ever came of Lex's 'Healing Factor' we know he has survived many situations that were possibly leathal, and that Brainiac gave him a dose of something that made him heal, why would that be lost when he lost Zod?

Anyway perhaps the Baby has some degree of that power.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

The way Lex was talking secretely with that doctor a week or two back about Lana's baby I just suspected that he had done some tampering to the child in some way or another. There's something definitely up there.

Also, I got a giggle out of the idea that Superman has to wear glasses since everyone is used to seeing Clark without.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
When is Clark going to realize that Chloe Sullivan is his best friend, and the true love of his life?

It seems that Chloe is on the way to becoming the secretary of the incipient Justice League of America.

I really liked the line at the close of the last episode, where Chloe laments that because of her infection by meteor rock she is a time bomb that could go off at any time, and then Clark puts his hand on her arm and says, "Consider me your personal bomb squad." That is the most loving thing he ever said to her.

I hope the writers do not eventually do away with Chloe. She has always been my favorite character on Smallville.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, in an interview with Alfred Gough, one of the minds behind Smallville, he kinda sorta addressed this:

iF: So Lois might not know who Clark is at some point?

GOUGH: He leaves and when she meets him again, he’s this dopey guy with glasses, and oh, there might be something else. There’s a lot of ways to bring it back in line, but I think it’s been great having Erica [Durance] on the show, and see her evolution as a reporter. You look at Erica and go “that character can become Margot Kidder.”

So look for some sort of massive trauma to her head. It worked for Lana, who should be right next to Lex in the ICU for neurological damage due to the amazing number of times each has been knocked unconscious.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

So, in other words he hasn't planned this and is going to end up using some kind of cliched device for getting writers out of holes they've dug themselves into. [Smile]
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

I did think of this, Clark does plan to Fortress Up for a time to learn the lore of the universe, it is likely to a few years during which the 'Clark' buzz will die back. Still it kind of inverts the DC universe where Superman was the first and the rest came after, all the others will be active and Clark will come to the game late.

I would like to see some scenarios were Clark's powers are known and factored into a plan to beat him as Luthor does to carry out his raid on the Museum in the movie. The way Lex 'handled' Aqua-man was classic. Clark could be done the same way without the kryptonite card being played.

Another thing that should be addressed is the terrorist card, should Clark find Ossama and that sort of thing, why doesn't he... and have him wrestle with what he should and should not interfere with.

Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Counter Bean:

Another thing that should be addressed is the terrorist card, should Clark find Ossama and that sort of thing, why doesn't he... and have him wrestle with what he should and should not interfere with.

This Clark is way too afraid of leaving Smallville.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's because of the true secret:

Clark Kent is Osama, and Superman.

Take Clark, put a ugly fake beard on him.

Osama--beard.
Clark--no beard.

Duh! How obvious can it be people.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
OK, in an interview with Alfred Gough, one of the minds behind Smallville, he kinda sorta addressed this:

iF: So Lois might not know who Clark is at some point?

GOUGH: He leaves and when she meets him again, he’s this dopey guy with glasses, and oh, there might be something else. There’s a lot of ways to bring it back in line, but I think it’s been great having Erica [Durance] on the show, and see her evolution as a reporter. You look at Erica and go “that character can become Margot Kidder.”

So look for some sort of massive trauma to her head. It worked for Lana, who should be right next to Lex in the ICU for neurological damage due to the amazing number of times each has been knocked unconscious.

The Haitian will make him forget. Obviously.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I loathe the Clana. I used to enjoy it, back in Season 1, 2 and 3. But once they decided to make Lana more mature (*actually, just stopped wearing pink and started wearing black, and being with Jason*) she became so mean to Clark that I lost it with her.

That said, they have been circling the secret for at least half this season and have been bending over backwards to show that Lana will be ok with it. I think they have decided they have drug this out as long as they could and, in keeping with the continuity (one of them, anyway) they will finally have her learn the secret about Clark (as well as Lex's true willingness to do 'evil'). Learn as in, really learn and remember and everything.

Lana will get out of the Lex trap and this final thing will push Lex over completely. His comment to Clark ('I don't blame you completely. If I lost her, I don't know what I'd be capable of.' in the one where Clark and Lois went on Red-k) indicates that, along with Lana's coming back to Clark with renewed respect and even- dare I say it- something akin to empathetic understanding.

But it's too little too late. They want to recreate teh plot energy and new dynamic that Chloe's finding out created. Don't think it will work, though.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Lana needs to go away for a while, disappear and have her baby, whatever it is, after discovering that Lex lied.

I really do not think that Lex should lie to Lana about the 'evil' things he is up to, his best tactic would be to involve her in every aspect, give ground where her moral compass insists on it, but slowly corrupt her into support for 'whatever it takes' to be ready when the alien menace returns. As it is I think he so cherishes her innocence and tries to protect it, that she will not be prepared for it when the other shoe drops. I am not totally certain Lex is evil, in point of fact he is the point man trying to prepare to defend against an invasion by super-beings, think of the things we did to expedite R&D during the Nazi threat and the cold war.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Clark felt like the idiot he is when he realized that Lana was protecting his secret for him. Then again, after her trauma with the Zod twins and Zod in Lex, she might not be quite as accepting of Clark as a Kryptonian. As a meteor freak, she can sympathize with him, because he's a victim.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Hooray. So now we get to play the "Lana has a secret" game instead of the "Clark has a secret" game. Same old emotional abuse of the audience though.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
And Jonathan is dead in ALL the movies, which is probably why they felt it was okay to kill him in Smallville.

And in the George Reeves TV show.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Hooray. So now we get to play the "Lana has a secret" game instead of the "Clark has a secret" game. Same old emotional abuse of the audience though.

Well, I haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but thanks for the heads-up. At least now I know not to get my hopes up. I always hope that they will finally get tired of leading us by the nose, and finally break the secret-cycle between Clark and Lana. Now I know not to expect it at least tonight.

I keep telling myself that this show is not a soap opera, but I'm beginning to disbelieve myself.

And I always criticized my mom for getting hooked on those things. [Blushing]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.