FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » contradiction in the enderverse

Author Topic: contradiction in the enderverse
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
i've been a long time lurker on these threads but never really got around to makeing an account, but recently my mom has shut of the cable so now i have about three channels and dial-up internet [Grumble] . so, considering hatrack is one of the few websites that doesnt take five hours to load, ive decided to actually take part.

back on topic: over the past week or so ive been re-reading the bean series and i noticed a small contradiction in one part. having nothing to do, i'll see what all you great minds have to say about it.
quote from shadow of the giant, when they were talking about bean with ender's jeesh, "We didn't like it," said Dink. "He was younger than all of us."
"So was Ender." said Graff.
"But we knew Ender." said Crazy Tom.
and so on.

considering a lot of the jeesh we in dragon army, here's a quote from ender's game, Not one of the veterans belonged to his elite practice group. None had ever been a toon leader. None in fact, were older than ender himself...

so doesnt that mean that at least a few of the jeesh were younger than ender, (crazy tom and fly are coming to mind) but Ender was the youngest, excluding bean?

there's a pretty good chance this has already been answer or that im just misreading it, but i felt like putting this out there. thanks for reading it [Smile]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The characters you mentioned were not, I believe in Dragon Army.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

Actually, Hot Soup, Fly Molo, Crazy Tom were toon leaders.

*frantically searches for the other two*

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And the toon leaders were all veterans, not launchies, when they joined Dragon Army. So they were likely older than Ender.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

quote from ender's game, Not one of the veterans belonged to his elite practice group. None had ever been a toon leader. None in fact, were older than ender himself...
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
technically it's not necessarily an inconsistency since it seems that Dink is the only one that specifically references Ender as younger than himself (and applying it as a blanket statement to others).

admittedly it makes it a bit akward when the statement (and reply from Graff) only apply to some subset of the Jeesh, but it at least applys to a few of them. And even if Ender wasn't younger than the rest there's definately the probability that they could have been resentful of him for being commander at their age while they were only toon leaders/grunts etc... (in JROTC there was definately resentment between the seniors who were officers and the seniors who were only squad leaders for example)

that being said it's a definite possibility that it was just a minor slip-up, but would generally feel more at home on the other side of the boards

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I thought "None in fact, were older than ender himself" was your conclusion, not part of the quote. I couldn't tell where your quotation began and ended.

There's a whole character dedicated to helping writers indicate the beginning and end of quotations. The correct use of that character would help avoid confusion like this.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Graff is always saying goofy stuff that isn't 100% accurate. And Dink was way older than Ender, even if most of the others were the same age.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was done purposely just to manipulate us into one day debating this very topic. It was a publicity stunt that took a little bit longer than expected to take off.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.